Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the SR9 and am trying to decide on what kind of OWB holster to purchase. I can't decide if the belt or paddle holster is more functional :confused: and wanted to get your opinions on it. Which do you prefer for comfort and steadiness.

Thanks
Papa T

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on now. Some one has got to have some good advice on this subject. :D

Anyone??

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Papa T, I think you will find a belt holster more comfortable. The pancake style will help to hold the gun snug in the holster and will after a week or two, will mold to your body. The paddle is easier to put on and off but some find the paddle uncomfortable for all day wear.
I make holsters for a hobbie and sideline business and most want the pancake style (two belt loops).

·
Registered
8 Posts
RAVEN Right now thay have such a backorderm but since they have ramped up employees and production they should be caught up come July and the wait won't be so long. It's what happens when the people out there find out a really great product by a great company. I wish that I could post pics.

Raven Concealment Systems - Holsters

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
Papa,I have 2 Safariland paddle/belt holsters for my P90's and for my High-Standard officers model.I use them in paddle mode and they are very comfortable I've carried all day with no problem.The 568 model comes with both paddle and belt carriers.I got mine at Academy sports here in Texas...

·
Registered
242 Posts
I use the Blackhawk Serpa...it comes with both belt and paddle options. I use the belt to go to the range, and the paddle when I am humping through the woods. They usually run about 35-40 bucks and most everyone has them. The paddle is very hard to remove from your britches, however. Just my two-pence.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Papa T
why don't you buy the Desantis viper #065 for SR9
it comes with both the paddle and belt loop in one holster(no need to buy two different holster). You can decide for yourself which way you want to carry that day.

peronally if it conceal carry I'd go with the belt(more secure) but if it's to the range I'd go with the paddle (easier to put on and off)
Provided your range allows you to carry holsters. Where I live range does not allow holsters.

btw. this holster is leather so it will scratch up your SS less than those Serpa or plastic holsters. However, I found that even leather holster scratches up you SS. especially mine cuz it's a blackened SS. Regular SS a little but not that noticeable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Thoughts

Hi

The two holsters that I like the best for my LCP and LCR are the NRA belt slide. They are also made for larger pistols. I got the large and it fits my LCR revolver just fine. I put them in my vacuum packer and made them form fit. The most comfortable I have used. I was going to get a paddle but thought that in the summer it would be hot against my body.

Jim

http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Product.aspx?productid=SA%20324%20BLK

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Papa T said:
Which do you prefer for comfort and steadiness.
In general the paddle holster tends to move around more than the OWB. The paddle is easier to put on and take off, but tends to move more than I like. The OWB, as stated above, will tend to mold to your body/gun as you wear it. That to me is a plus.

Here are a few for your consideration:
CCWSUPPLY.BIZ - Ross Leather Holsters made for Ruger SR9
DO make sure you also look at other sources. ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the information. You guys gave me just the information I was looking for. Sounds like a lot of folks like the Blackhawk Serpa, and I also like the way it looks. After much consideration of material, I have decided to go with a leather holster. Just like the way a gun looks wrapped in leather.

Now for the bigger decision of which one. So many good holster makers out there and several that are highly recommended. I was searching the internet and ran across one from Falco. Has anyone ever had one of these? Here is a link Falco Gun holsters - It. 34 + VIDEO - Belt Holsters - Leather Gun Holsters.

Moosesr9, I will look at that viper, thanks for letting me know about it.

Thanks again for all your input, it has been very helpful. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts