Ruger Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
the P-series was still produced in this millenium

I'd be surprised if they do. The P-series was never that popular and has been out of production for a long time, so long that Ruger doesn't even support them anymore. The poor market reception of the original PC9, etc. was probably in part because they only took P-series magazines and very few LE departments used them.

Supplying the PC Carbine with an SR-series and offering an American series magazine well was an obvious necessity but the Glock magazine well is where the real attraction is.
Ruger still has parts for and will repair P series pistols. (had mine there last year) In fact the P-series was still produced in this millenium. The P94 until 2004, the P95 until 2005, and the P345 until 2006. They are tanks and will last forever, there are alot of them out there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Magazine mod to make 92 mags work

I know this thread hasn't been active in a while, but posting for others like me that are late to the game, but I found that if you have Mec-Gar 92FS mags you can mod them to work with the SR 9 mag-well. If you look on the front of the Mec-Gar mags there is a small hole towards the top. If you take a 1/8 drill bit and make the hole elongated (up and down), it does not need a lot removed towards the bottom of the hole. I just moved the bit up and down and in and out a few times Less is better just check after each time so you don't remove to much, even though it is only cosmetic changes. it will lock into the SR 9 mag well, and still works in my Beretta. I have not fired my PC 9 this way yet, but it locks in, drops free, and everything cycles properly by hand. I did notice that the bolt DID NOT lock to the rear after last round. When the weather improves here in central IL, I will do a fire test.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
That Glock magazine insert is just a Ruger factory part and one comes with every Ruger PC Carbine along with the Ruger SR magazine insert. The only aftermarket part is the Ruger American magazine insert and Ruger sells it directly also.

After a couple of years in production and no other magazine inserts, either factory or by an outside supplier, it's safe to assume no one thinks the market is big enough to support any others.

·
Righteous Dude
21,652 Posts
Seems many want various adapters. I've heard other desire M&P adapters as well as various Sig mags.

Glock works for me though Beretta would be great as well.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I did the M&P magazine 'adjustment' to one mag and it worked fine. I have enough Ruger mags and I just wanted to see if it worked. It still worked in my M&P.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Instead of new mag inserts, Ruger still needs to fix some inherent weaknesses with it's Glock mag adaptor.. like the stamped on piece of metal that functions as ejector, which can be easily bent unintentionally

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
Instead of new mag inserts, Ruger still needs to fix some inherent weaknesses with it's Glock mag adaptor.. like the stamped on piece of metal that functions as ejector, which can be easily bent unintentionally

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Send a suggestion to MCarbo like I did. The owner is interested in suggestions from customers for parts upgrades. He already developed a cnc cut ejector out of hardened tool steel.

Maybe if he gets enough requests he'll look into a better steel ejector arm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this thread hasn't been active in a while, but posting for others like me that are late to the game, but I found that if you have Mec-Gar 92FS mags you can mod them to work with the SR 9 mag-well. If you look on the front of the Mec-Gar mags there is a small hole towards the top. If you take a 1/8 drill bit and make the hole elongated (up and down), it does not need a lot removed towards the bottom of the hole. I just moved the bit up and down and in and out a few times Less is better just check after each time so you don't remove to much, even though it is only cosmetic changes. it will lock into the SR 9 mag well, and still works in my Beretta. I have not fired my PC 9 this way yet, but it locks in, drops free, and everything cycles properly by hand. I did notice that the bolt DID NOT lock to the rear after last round. When the weather improves here in central IL, I will do a fire test.
This is the key. I did a number of modifications to a KelTec Sub2K to allow it to run XD and CZ75/Sig magazines (if you search KTOG for Springfield XD Magazine Project you'll see some of the details) . The easiest thing to modify is the notch/detent in the magazine itself (and magazines are typically cheaper to replace that what Ruger wants for a replacement magwell). The other variable is the cant of the magazine, which is pretty standard for most common handguns with the exception of Glock. Ruger gave us two magwell inserts which covers us there.

Taking a closer look, the SR9 magwell locks the magazines from the very front (typical of ambidextrous magazine releases, such as in the XD) vs side notches (common on older Sigs, Berettas, S&W), so any added notches would need to go in the front as thammer stated. I took a few pictures with a few exemplar magazines I had, and it looks like most would fit and lock in if a notch was added to the front in the correct spot. I do doubt that the LRBHO would work though - if you look at the BHO "catch hook" at the front of the magwell insert, all of the non-SR9 magazines don't engage it. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to post pictures yet.

No responsibility taken, we're all grownups here - If you do decide to go bubba on your magazines to try and make them work, I'd suggest going slow using masking tape around the magazine body to make the marks align and use the cheapest magazines you can find to start with - for me that was some old Beretta 92 surplus magazines. You'll also need to take time to clean out any residual metal/burrs from the new hole on the inside of the magazine body to keep it from snagging the spring or follower. Check function and safety and enjoy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought and am about to pick up a model 19122. All of my handguns are m9-fs92 series as that is what I like and have time on. I want a ppc for ammo interchangeability and lesser range than my .223 for plnking varmints and such around our 6 acre orchard. So I thought about it, and being the way I am I figure different mags would be better as I am likely to have handgun loads and carbine loads. Which kind of ruins the whole ammo interchange angle, except in a pinch. But anyway I am fine with it taking a different mag for now.

·
Exalted One
1,712 Posts
I'm well invested in a 92FS and a CX-4. Love them both as the mags are interchangeable and both fun shooters.

The new VA proposed anti-gun laws will make my CX4 illegal, and +10 mags illegal also. So I may likely invest in a PC9 in order to retain the SAME capability, but in a different format (no thumb-hole stock).

I would love a Beretta adapter, but all my Beretta mags would also be illegal, so Beretta mags for a PC9 are irrelevant.

Given I'll need to replace all my FS/M9 mags with either SR9 or Security-9s, what is the best choice? Seems that MagPul Security-9 mags are less expensive...

To be sure, I'm looking into 10-round mags (VA legal) that would work in both my 92FS and a PC9, but they don't seem to be a realistic option.

BTW, I hate striker-fired pistols).

May just need to accept things as they are and but a bunch of compatible PC9 mags.

Comments?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I joined the forum because I am hoping to find info on a PCC Carbine Magazine adapter to allow it to run Beretta 92 series magazines. And/or Sig p320 magazines. Not a Glock fan.

FWIW a friend & I have managed to drill a hole in the front of an USGI M9 magazine to allow the Ruger magazine adapter to hold it, it runs, but the last round hold open is lost and the M9 magazine is loose in the mag well. I can live without the LRHO... C'mon Ruger.... there's buyers on the side lines!

·
Registered
172 Posts
There is a youtube video on modding the M&P mags to work by opening up the hole identical to the one in the center mag which is the PC carbine mag. Left is an 92fs mag and the M&P on the right. Seems straightforward. The aftermarket ones first before chopping factory mags :D

21 - 37 of 37 Posts