Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a Beretta 92FS. But recently read a review on the Taurus PT92, a clone of the Beretta. Has anyone had experience with Beretta vs the Taurus ? I'd appreciate your input and recommendations.:)

·
Administrator
23,032 Posts
I don't have experience with either so I'm a perfect internet gun advisor but based on reputation alone I'd buy the Beretta. If I were going to buy a 9mm it would probably be a Beretta 92F. The only Taurus I have owned was a 38 Spl Mdl 83 and it was a decent revolver but was starting to loosen up some when I traded it. I doubt if I had more than 1,500 rounds thru it.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I don't have experience with either so I'm a perfect internet gun advisor but based on reputation alone I'd buy the Beretta. If I were going to buy a 9mm it would probably be a Beretta 92F. The only Taurus I have owned was a 38 Spl Mdl 83 and it was a decent revolver but was starting to loosen up some when I traded it. I doubt if I had more than 1,500 rounds thru it.
Haha :D

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have a Taurus with over 2000 rnds through it with not one hiccup. I don't expect it to last forever, but I carry it as mt SD concealed weapon daily.. It is not a 9mm but a 40S&W unit No complaints..

wPm

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I have experience with both & IMO if you want a quality shooter that will always be reliable, buy the Beretta! I've put tens of thousands of rounds through my Berettas and have never had one single problem of any kind out of any of them. None of the Taurus "clones" I've tried have ever been as tight or as reliable as Beretta. There's a reason Beretta has been in the gun business for 500 years. ;) http://rugerforum.net/gun-gallery/63073-new-beretta-family-photos.html

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Like terry p I don't have personal experience with either. But a good friend has one and loves it. He says its by far the best pistol taurus makes. Its 200 cheaper and has been around since the 80's. They are for almost all purposes a Beretta when Beretta got the contract for the US military, they had to build a plant in the US as part of it they sold their European equipment to Taurus and sent along personel to set it up and train the Taurus people. Or thats the rummor, Beretta's earlier model, the 92 is what Taurus copied. The machines and prints are said to have been sold to Taurus. The thing I like as much as price is the Taurus has a frame safety to the slide safety on the Berettas. The more I check out Taurus models the more I want one. I have the PT1911 and its a great shooter. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

P.S. just looked at Taurus' site and copied this from their site. " In 1980, we purchased the Beretta factory in Sao Paulo, Brazil "lock, stock and barrel" and immediately sought to improve on the Beretta design, resulting in the popular and acclaimed Taurus 92."

·
Registered
1,949 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I love my Beretta 92A1- its the most modern variant of the 92 series and shoots and feels great!
The Taurus models (pt92, pt99, pt100,101..etc...) from what I have read are great pistols as well. They have of course, the Beretta design. They also have a big improvement as well-- the location of the safety lever!
As I said before, I love my Beretta, but I am not in love with its safety location-- trying to shoot it in IDPA, I have fumbled with its upward fire location. I recently purchased a 1911-- and the first time I shot the 1911 in competetion, I pressed UP on the safety--- as I would with my Beretta--- and of course, that isn't good for 1911's-- as it engages the safety and I couldn't fire it!! (I only did this a few times before I figured out what I was doing-- I'm a little slow some days... :))

So, basically what I am saying is- If you want the Beretta name and Beretta quality- buy it for sure.. If you are not concerned so much about the name and design, try out the Taurus clones-- they are very popular and well made. I am going to aquire a PT99 and PT 101 someday myself... just to have and to hold.. er.. and to shoot too! :)

My 2 cents..

·
Registered
17,444 Posts
I'd stick with the Beretta. You get what you pay for. Buy once cry once.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I would buy the Beretta. It may hold it's value a bit better and is more desirable.
Having said that I own a 9mm Taurus PT-609 Titanium Pro. I paid just $300 for it.
Taurus used to make horrible guns, but that was many years ago. That reputation
is having a hard time dying. They now make some good ones which function very well.

I bought mine specifically for a carry gun, it carries 13+1. I have owned it for a few years.
It is very accurate, it's well made and after about 3000 rounds through it I have had not one problem with it.
It's an ugly little thing and I don't fret about getting holster wear and other dings guns collect from daily use.
It is also easy to conceal using a Crossbreed holster.

I said I would buy the Beretta. I bought my Taurus for a specific use. You buy what you want and need.
I do love my little Taurus though.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
The Taurus models (pt92, pt99, pt100,101..etc...) from what I have read are great pistols as well. They have of course, the Beretta design. They also have a big improvement as well-- the location of the safety lever!

As I said before, I love my Beretta, but I am not in love with its safety location-- trying to shoot it in IDPA, I have fumbled with its upward fire location. I recently purchased a 1911-- and the first time I shot the 1911 in competetion, I pressed UP on the safety--- as I would with my Beretta--- and of course, that isn't good for 1911's-- as it engages the safety and I couldn't fire it!! (I only did this a few times before I figured out what I was doing-- I'm a little slow some days... :))
Taurus' claim of improving the Beretta design by putting the safety on the frame is false advertising. It's actually Beretta's old design before they changed the design & started putting the safety on the slide.

If you're having problems with the safety, look into finding a D or G model Beretta. (No safety to deal with) I absolutely love my G model Berettas. The G models have a decocker only and the lever automatically returns to the firing position. They're very popular for competitions. ;)

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Taurus has been increasing the MSRP of the PT92 and nowadays, the price isn't that far below a new Beretta 92fs......

Truth be told, you can find PD trade in 92fs pistols for less than a new Taurus PT92, and the trade-in Beretta's most likely have low round counts anyway. It's IMO a better deal. Robinson Trading Post, who sells on GunBroker, had a BUNCH of 92fs trade in's from the Los Angeles Sheriff's Dept. and they looked like they saw a lot of holster time but not a whole lot of shooting. I would check to see if they had any more. There's also Cole Distributing, which, last time I scanned their auctions, had a bunch of various Beretta trade ins, like 92 Centurions, Brigadiers, 92f's, etc.

You can also find a used Taurus PT92 for $2-300 if you look around, so there's also that. Century recently imported some ex-Isreali police Taurus PT92's that look beat but they sell for cheap.

I have heard from several LEO"s on this and other forums who use Taurus PT92's as duty guns.

I have never owned a Taurus PT92, but have owned a Beretta 92fs. It was a lemon, it was a jam-o-matic, shot so low and left I could never get it to hit anything and it eventually had a failure that caused the slide stop to blow off. It was actually my Dad's but I shot it a lot, he eventually had it repaired and sold it to a gun shop.

IMO Taurus' revolver production is spotty but they seem to have their autoloader pistols down pretty well, and they have been making PT92's for decades. If I were to own another Taurus (own 3 of their older revolvers) it would be an older 1980's era PT92. When I first got into shooting in the mid 90's, the Taurus PT92 was THE inexpensive range gun/trainer and pretty much everyone you talked to at the range who shot a lot, owned one. They were a solid gun for much less than a Beretta. These days, Taurus seems to be pricing themselves out of their "niche", which is functional, cheap guns. Now they sell guns for a little less than "name brands" but not enough less to warrant not getting the "real" gun.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Some time back I had a 92 AFS Taurus (the polished alloy frame model)...I've had a Beretta 92 way back before that..The Taurus was a really good one so I can't complain about Taurus...I'm not a Beretta name snob...I've had a couple of 66 357 revolvers and an 82 4"bbl,and an 85 snub and all were just fine..no the finish on the revolvers was not Smith or Colt finish but they were just fine..The 92AFS had the safety mounted differently than on the Beretta and I preferred it. I've never had to "test" the Taurus lifetime warranty but it's there and I've heard both good and bad about it (mostly that it's slow). I have almost all Ruger revolvers now and I'm spoiled (see, I really am a "name snob")but if I wanted a 9 semi I'd not hesitate to look at another Taurus...might look at the 99 instead of the 92 because of the adjustable sights.

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
I have experience with both. My buying pattern should explain it. At first I bought this:
Taurus

Then I sold it and bought this:
Beretta 92G Centurion

Then this:
Beretta 92G Vertec

Then this:
Beretta 92G Elite IA

And this:
Beretta 92 Steel-I SAO

And finally a Beretta 92 Steel-I DA/SA to go with it.

The point is, I had the Taurus and while it was great to look at in the safe, it wasn't much fun to shoot. However the Beretta ignited a passion. Go with the Beretta. :)

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I have a 90 model Taurus PT92 I like it a lot, I also have a Beretta 86 model 92 Compact type M inox. The Beretta has the better of the two triggers. They are both real good shooters. I use the Taurus for target shooting, The Beretta I carry sometimes for self defense. just my .02

1 - 20 of 32 Posts