Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came back from my first trip to a Cabelas. Picked up Berry's 45ACP 230gr .452 Plated Bullets. My question is are they considered Jacketed and are they loaded as such. Their prices were good on reloading equipment and ammo.
But the prices on gun's seemed high.
Any help on reloading Berry's Plated Bullets would be of great help.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
use reloading data for hard cast lead bullets. You can also use load data for jacketed bullets. I like using 5.3gr. of W-231 for 230 gr. plated bullets. Duplicates 230 gr. hardball ammo. Some reloaders like 5 gr. W-231 for a softer shooting load. I quit using Berry's years ago and switched to X-Treme plated bullets for my IDPA match shooting. Better accuracy with X-Treme over Berry's. Check the X-Treme bullets web site out. Great prices and they have specials all the time.

·
Registered
266 Posts
+1 on using lead data on copper plated. I can't find your specific bullet, but in my book all the calibers I find that do call for copper plated of the same weight as the lead load recipes, are within 1/10th and 1/20th of a grain off, usually with the copper plated as taking the slightly higher charge, but not always. Makes sense too, that plating can't possibly be as hard as a real copper jacket so it would be softer overall. I also like X-treme bullets but I never tried their plated, but their hard cast is awesome.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Just came back from my first trip to a Cabelas. Picked up Berry's 45ACP 230gr .452 Plated Bullets. My question is are they considered Jacketed and are they loaded as such. Their prices were good on reloading equipment and ammo.
But the prices on gun's seemed high.
Any help on reloading Berry's Plated Bullets would be of great help.
I aim for around 830-850 FPS with a 230 grain RN bullet.
I normally use high end lead data with that round, keeping my FPS goal in mind. I have used HP38, Titegroup, CFE Pistol, Universal & Unique & all worked well, but settled on CFE Pistol as my main powder.

·
Registered
134 Posts
load them as lead and you will be fine, jacketed data will work also.
I doubt you will load over 850 FPS with the 230 grain bullet, standard ball 230 grain ammo is about 830 to 860 The recommendation is a general rule to keep people from shooting them as in all the calibers, at high velocity and have leading problems.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Speaking about Berry Bullets has anyone here used their .32 caliber 71 grain round nosed bullet for either the .327FM/.32 H&R Mag.??

·
Registered
408 Posts
. . . Picked up Berry's 45ACP 230gr .452 Plated Bullets. My question is are they considered Jacketed and are they loaded as such.. . . Any help on reloading Berry's Plated Bullets would be of great help.
The best source for this info is the Berrys web site, which says:

" Our bullets can be loaded with any published load data for any 230gr bullet, any of the loading manuals or the powder manufacturers website should have that data for you. "

·
Registered
271 Posts
Speaking about Berry Bullets has anyone here used their .32 caliber 71 grain round nosed bullet for either the .327FM/.32 H&R Mag.??
No experience at all, but from what I've read, the 71 gr bullet is a little light for the magnum loads. It is more designed for the 32 acp, and possibly 32 long.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I picked up some berry's 230gr HHP in .45. I called berry's and asked about loads and the guy said to use whatever rainer recommends. I looked at rainiers web site and they said to load to jacketed specs.

FWIW I loaded 7.0-7.4gr of true blue for testing

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for all your help. Going to load both lead and jacketed specs to see which I like best. With Sierra 230gr FMJ I use 4.6gr TiteGroup.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Thanks guys for all your help. Going to load both lead and jacketed specs to see which I like best. With Sierra 230gr FMJ I use 4.6gr TiteGroup.
Nam Vet, I use Berry's 230 gr. plated also & used 4.8 grain TiteGroup seated to 1.250" C.O.L. & it functioned/fed well in a 5" 1911 with an 18.5# recoil spring.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I run Berry's 230 gr plated over 5 grains of 231 and they perform identically to the same load behind a 230 gr FMJ. Same accuracy, same recoil, same performance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've been using Berry's plated bullets in 9mm and .40 for about a year and like them. I currently buy them by the 1000 round box when on sale at Cabela's.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I like them. I use between lead and jacketed data. I'm always low

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I use Berry's, Xtreme and Powerbond plated. (.38/.357, .40 S&W and .45 ap)You can't go wrong with any of them. Berry's may be the best overall quality.jmho

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I've always used Xtreme copper plated bullets in my .38, 40, and 45acp and loaded them to jacketed standards. I recently tried those Berry's in the my 30 carbine and loaded them to 1800fps, had great accuracy, and the clean-up was the same as using the full metal jacket. I wouldn't load them to full power loads such as you would with jacketed rounds though.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
anybody try berry's 55gr .223 FMJ?
Last batch I bought from them they were actually Hornady bullets. They loaded fine. Regardless you can buy with confidence.
That being said i get my .223 fmj from Xtreme bullets now.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Last batch I bought from them they were actually Hornady bullets. They loaded fine. Regardless you can buy with confidence.
That being said i get my .223 fmj from Xtreme bullets now.
How do you know they were hornady bullets?

I'll look into xtreme, thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts