Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old model vaquero in .44 magnum and I'd like to see what is the hottest round I can safely fire from it. Any old Vaquero model owners on here have any advice?

Frank

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,554 Posts
You're able to safely fire any factory 44 magnum load. It won't be comfortable, but the revolver won't mind . What needs killing so badly that you are looking for "hot" ammo?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi FrankD90: as ngashooter has stated, factory ammo. If you're hand loading, of course the best thing to do is assemble some loads starting light and work up checking for obvious pressure signs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Firstly, thank you all for your replies.

I wouldn't say I need to kill something so badly haha. But I do hunt with pretty hot ammunition (via my Marlin) and I always liked the cross-capability by simply carrying one ammo type on my gun belt. Do you mind my asking what is the hottest factory ammo you've personally put through your vaquero?

Thank you all for the reply!

Stay safe.

Frank

·
Registered
23 Posts
Firstly, thank you all for your replies.

I wouldn't say I need to kill something so badly haha. But I do hunt with pretty hot ammunition (via my Marlin) and I always liked the cross-capability by simply carrying one ammo type on my gun belt. Do you mind my asking what is the hottest factory ammo you've personally put through your vaquero?

Thank you all for the reply!

Stay safe.

Frank
F90:
The heaviest that I have fired through my Birdshead SS 3.75" NV 44 Magnum- is a Hornady 300gr XTP using a book load of AA#9 giving a projected velocity of ~1150fps. Very stout, and follow up shots would be very slow. I will never load it again unless I'm hiking in an area with Very Dangerous Game. Just wanted to see what it was like.
-steve

·
Registered
990 Posts
As a suggestion, run out and get a copy of the June 2020 “Handloader” magazine. This issue has a lot of useful information on 44 Magnum Pet Loads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts