Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, I bought my 10/22 about 2 months ago and love it. I just got a sling. I find the iron sights that came stock to be hard to focus past about 20 yards. It's hard for me to tell what is going on. It could be my eye sight yet I got tested as 20/20 only a few months ago. So my first question is, what are some quality affordable sight upgrades?

Second: Affordable yet quality and appropriate scopes for a 10/22.

Third: Same for red dots

What would you choose of the three first? I'm thinking a scope.

Here is my 10/22 next to my 9 mm. I've shot a lot better than this, and that was with the 9 mm.

·
Registered
126 Posts
1st, how old are you?

2nd, what is the purpose of the rifle?

3rd, why not just buy another rifle and 1 each. You know you want to so why not just drop the coun and make it happen?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
1st, how old are you?

2nd, what is the purpose of the rifle?

3rd, why not just buy another rifle and 1 each. You know you want to so why not just drop the coun and make it happen?

What does the age have to do with anything? I'm 39. I'm using the rifle mainly for target practice right now, but would like to increase it's utility out past 25 yards or so. Until I get a different rifle it could always potentially fill a self-defense role, although I know that's not ideal.

I bought the 9 mm and 10/22 in the last 4 odd months, so can't afford more guns at the moment. However, in the future for sure. At that point I'm looking to upgrade my 9 mm instead with that money, and possibly get a decent .22 semi-auto pistol or revolver as I enjoy shooting them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
What does the age have to do with anything? I'm 39. I'm using the rifle mainly for target practice right now, but would like to increase it's utility out past 25 yards or so. Until I get a different rifle it could always potentially fill a self-defense role, although I know that's not ideal.

I bought the 9 mm and 10/22 in the last 4 odd months, so can't afford more guns at the moment. However, in the future for sure. At that point I'm looking to upgrade my 9 mm instead with that money, and possibly get a decent .22 semi-auto or revolver as I enjoy shooting them.
Okay, about what I thought. Around 40 I started having trouble with focusing on the sights, but I have been shooting since grade school. So, you are hitting that magical part of life.

At 52 I find I dislike iron sights on rifles anymore. I have a 30-30 lever with 1 but I want to switch to peep sight and my shotguns have bead sights. Other than that I have red dots on anything for fast action, which does include a couple of 10/22' as well as a Model 60. Buy, if it is for precision shooting then I mount a scope.

So, I have red dots and holographic sights on 22LR, 22WMR, .223, .38, and .308. I have varios scopes for 22LR, 22WMR, .223, .243, 6.5CM, .308, 30-06 and 30-30. I got a deal on a 10 pack or TRS-25's and I am toying with the idea of putting 1 on all 5 of the Turkey shotguns, and maybe on a 22 pistol.

Here in the next few years I am seriously considering putting them on all my pistols. But, the next 10 years will answer those questions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Okay, about what I thought. Around 40 I started having trouble with focusing on the sights, but I have been shooting since grade school. So, you are hitting that magical part of life.

At 52 I find I dislike iron sights on rifles anymore. I have a 30-30 lever with 1 but I want to switch to peep sight and my shotguns have bead sights. Other than that I have red dots on anything for fast action, which does include a couple of 10/22' as well as a Model 60. Buy, if it is for precision shooting then I mount a scope.

So, I have red dots and holographic sights on 22LR, 22WMR, .223, .38, and .308. I have varios scopes for 22LR, 22WMR, .223, .243, 6.5CM, .308, 30-06 and 30-30. I got a deal on a 10 pack or TRS-25's and I am toying with the idea of putting 1 on all 5 of the Turkey shotguns, and maybe on a 22 pistol.

Here in the next few years I am seriously considering putting them on all my pistols. But, the next 10 years will answer those questions.

Well enough about you. What about the OP question?

OP- more people can address your question if you give a price range.

Im a squirrel hunter, I have a Burris 3x9 Fullfield ll on my 10/22.

Regarding your concern of focusing, you may want a scope with a A/O. Again whats your price range.

It really depends on what you want outta your rifle. what ranges you want to shoot. How precise do you want to be.

Once a price range and red dot or scope. im sure people can throw ideas your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well enough about you. What about the OP question?

OP- more people can address your question if you give a price range.

Im a squirrel hunter, I have a Burris 3x9 Fullfield ll on my 10/22.

Regarding your concern of focusing, you may want a scope with a A/O. Again whats your price range.

It really depends on what you want outta your rifle. what ranges you want to shoot. How precise do you want to be.

Once a price range and red dot or scope. im sure people can throw ideas your way.

Hmm, although it's tempting to go cheaper to get something sooner, people told me to get something decent that will last or be transferable to other rifles. I'm thinking I want to keep it under $150 though, as it's a 10/22 not a long range sniper or hunting rifle.

I would like to be able to be accurate from 50-100 yards though.

I do like the red dot sights, but they don't magnify and just basically make it more tactical right? At 25 yards, with the iron sights I can shoot a solid group center target bullseye or adjacent, and even where I practice a mag dump still pretty good. So it seems to me a scope is a bigger value add.

·
Registered
13 Posts
100yrds is a fair bit some would say for a .22lr. quite a drop. not even mentioning wind.

At a 25yrds zero. A HV .22lr 1200fps or there abouts. will be within a half an inch, high/low from 17-55yrds. PBR (point blank range).

Thats my range for a squirrels head. 17-55yrds.
If i was shooting pop cans, I might except a larger PBR of two inches high/low, in turn would greatly extend my ranges.

That said, check out Burris Fullfield ll 4.5-14, might suit you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
100yrds is a fair bit some would say for a .22lr. quite a drop. not even mentioning wind.

At a 25yrds zero. A HV .22lr 1200fps or there abouts. will be within a half an inch, high/low from 17-55yrds. PBR (point blank range).

Thats my range for a squirrels head. 17-55yrds.
If i was shooting pop cans, I might except a larger PBR of two inches high/low, in turn would greatly extend my ranges.

That said, check out Burris Fullfield ll 4.5-14, might suit you.

Anything a bit cheaper? That is almost $200.

Also, any suggestions on sights upgrades? I know there are bunch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just my own approach to .22 optics: some years ago I found a pair of old (?) Burris 4x scopes in an antique mall in Little Rock for $5 each. I put one on the 10-22 I picked up at a farm auction. With my 70 year old eyes I can keep a nickel size group at 25 yards from the bench. Point being: check on all your options including flea markets, yard sales or even a want to buy on lists like this. There may be folks out there with a few scopes that didn’t work out on the rifle they were using and they might be willing to help a brother out!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just my own approach to .22 optics: some years ago I found a pair of old (?) Burris 4x scopes in an antique mall in Little Rock for $5 each. I put one on the 10-22 I picked up at a farm auction. With my 70 year old eyes I can keep a nickel size group at 25 yards from the bench. Point being: check on all your options including flea markets, yard sales or even a want to buy on lists like this. There may be folks out there with a few scopes that didn’t work out on the rifle they were using and they might be willing to help a brother out!
I'm totally down with some quality used gear.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The Bushnell TRS-25 is an excellent red dot for the money if you're looking budget. The dot is a 3 MOA, a bit large but for $70 it's hard to go wrong. I have one on a S&W Victory and it's more than worth the money. If you want to spend a bit more the Sig-Sauer Romeo 5 is an awesome choice, I have had 3 on various AR's and they've been amazing with a 10,000 hr battery life. They're usually going for about $120-140

For a budget scope I have a Vortex Crossfire II in 2-7X on my 10/22. I swapped the regular barrel for a bull barrel from Ruger and it shoots like a laser. It smokes pop cans easy out to 125 yds and Im sure would go farther I just haven't found the range to turn it loose. It's retail is $130 but I found mine on Ebay for around $80.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anything a bit cheaper? That is almost $200.

Also, any suggestions on sights upgrades? I know there are bunch.
never pay full retail, used or sales are coming up. that said in this environment your going to be pressed to find anything in stock.

·
Registered
326 Posts
You will find on forums like this, many nonsensical and/or irrelevant questions may be asked. But, not straying very far from what I understand your questions to be... My personal experience has been with Aperture(peep) sights in the military. I like them! Of course, they will not help an eyesight problem. With 20-20 vision, open sights should not be a problem, tho. A scope is good, and really high power is not necessary. 4X will do just fine, if you are not trying for very tiny groups at 50 yards. A good Bushnell 4X will not break the bank, and Rimfire scopes usually are scaled for the smaller rimfire rifles, and don't look like you are about to launch a cruise missile.😉 I have had a 4X on several .22s, with good success. If you would like to go higher, a 2-7 or 3-9 will do just fine. I just decided to go for broke lately, and splurged on a Leupold 2-7 X 33 scope, because I have always wanted one. Having said that, my Weaver Classic Rimfire 4X and 2.5-7 X scopes have not given me a minute's trouble during the 20 years I have had them on various rifles. Sadly, Weaver is no longer making them. My wife gave me an AT3 Tactical red dot for Christmas. I saw a couple of YouTube demos where the shooters beat the merrie aitch out of them, with no visible effect. I am thinking of replacing the scope on my 10-22 with it. But first, I want to find out just how precisely my 10-22 shoots with the scope. The range just reopened, and has some weird Covid hours nowadays. Anyhow, good luck with your search! 🙂

·
Registered
351 Posts

Order it now. Don't wait. I just bought my 4th one. For the money it's the best scope I've used in my almost 50 years of shooting.

There are a couple of Vortex rimfire scopes that are good, they run around $200, and there's a Leupold in the $200 range that's good. This Nikon is as good as the others I've mentioned.

Life is WAY to short to use bad glass....but I'm not stupid enough to put $1500 glass on a $100 carbine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This...

Order it now. Don't wait. I just bought my 4th one. For the money it's the best scope I've used in my almost 50 years of shooting.

There are a couple of Vortex rimfire scopes that are good, they run around $200, and there's a Leupold in the $200 range that's good. This Nikon is as good as the others I've mentioned.

Life is WAY to short to use bad glass....but I'm not stupid enough to put $1500 glass on a $100 carbine.
I have one 10/22 with Tech Sight irons, they work great. A take down 10/22 with a red dot, also great. But if I want to dot the eyes on a rabbit at 50 yds., the Nikon P-rimfire is perfect.

·
Registered
97 Posts
A terrific budget scope is the Simmons .22 Mag. Most Walmarts carry them. The 3-9x32 is a good choice. A 4x is cheaper. Get some Weaver medium rings, and you are good to go.I can't tell from your picture, but you also need a rail on your rifle.

A bit pricier line of rimfire scopes is the Nikon ProStaff. A great rimfire scope for the money. Choose either the 3-9x40 or a 4x40. The bad news is Nikon has decided to quit manufacturing scopes. The Prostaff will still be around for a while. Search the web.
Larry

·
Registered
420 Posts
O.K. I'd go with the TRS 25 from Bushnell. You can get a great price on E-Bay or Amazon. It's got a very bright dot and its easy to see and adjust. For 25 yards up to 100 you can get some great groups using the dot. If you really want a scope the Nikon suggested is very good as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
O.K. I'd go with the TRS 25 from Bushnell. You can get a great price on E-Bay or Amazon. It's got a very bright dot and its easy to see and adjust. For 25 yards up to 100 you can get some great groups using the dot. If you really want a scope the Nikon suggested is very good as well.
Thanks yes, I've seen the TRS 25 red dot recommended several times, and have it on my wish list. It's in my price range.

What do people think about the sights question, if I were to upgrade them? It's almost as if with the iron sights I have difficulty seeing the dot perfectly at about 25 yards, when superimposed on a paper target. The tiny dot is actually hard to see overlaid a long distance target. It almost seems if the sight dots were larger or brighter, it wouldn't be a problem. I can still see well enough to get a decent group at that distance though, but obviously that means potentially I wouldn't at 50 yards or so. It also means I'm slightly eyeballing it at 25 yards.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Okay two votes for this one, the Vortex. I've saved it on my Cabela's wishlist, as it's cheaper there than Amazon. Thanks. Yeah, for my 10/22 I'm not trying to spend on a scope what I wish I could spend right now on a premium higher caliber firearm, ha. When that money comes around, I'm planning to either get a higher end 9 mm (loved the Sig p210 I tried) or expand my rifle collection.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,106 Posts
The primary arms micro dot is a great optic sub $100, have several and shoot to 100 yards with them, no issues. As far as scopes nikon or vortex is my favorites but for just a 22 a tasco or simmons could do the job, atleast until you could upgrade to nicer if needed.

Reactions: MadViking
1 - 20 of 23 Posts