Ruger Forum banner

Which of these performers do you think are the best?

• Elvis

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • Beatles

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • Rolling Stones

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • Pink Floyd

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • Eric Clapton - all incarnations

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • Queen

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • Journey

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • Eagles

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • Led Zepplin

Votes: 23 27.4%
  • The Who

Votes: 9 10.7%
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the threads about Cat Stevens and Johnny Cash, I started thinking about creating this thread. I'm talking about popular music, which while I'm not saying C&W isn't popular, I'm not including it in this poll. In fact, I'm having a hard time limiting my choices to a reasonable number. But I'm making it multiple choice, so select which performers are your favorites out of these choices. For the same reasons I'm not including Michael Jackson. This is basically about rock groups who dominated the airwaves from the 50's until now.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
While at some point in my life I have liked some songs of everyone you listed except Queen and Pink Floyd, I didn't vote.

I've been a fan of old (pre-1950) jazz and Big Band since my early twenties. That's thirty-odd years of my favorite being Benny Goodman.

I also like Bix Beiderbecke, Eddie Condon, The Golden Gate Orchestra, and many others nobody these days ever heard of.

This is a great site with hundreds of complete recordings of early jazz:

http://www.redhotjazz.com/index.htm

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I voted for the who because I don't have any favorite there...what about Glenn Miller?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Cant vote for one. Too many great bands to choose the best.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've seen many of the groups listed live in concert, and many other groups and individuals prior to these listed.

IMO, the ABSOLUTE ENTERTAINER OF ALL TIMES was Sammy Davis, Jr. In the same time frame I saw the likes of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, the older groups like Dion and the Belmonts, Tony Orlando in various incarnations. But NO ONE ever came close to Sammy.

He held the crowd of several thousand in an open amphitheater in the palm of his hand, performed for 2 and a half hours straight, no opening or middle act. There was even a thunderstorm during the middle of his performance and nobody moved. He took a break to let as many people as possible move forward to get under some cover, sat down on the edge of the stage, and took questions and answers from the first few rows. As soon as everyone had settled, he started again, and began the new set with his version of Mr. Bojangles, one of the most spine tingling acts I've ever seen in my life. He came back for 4 encores, and the people continued to stand and cheer for 15 minutes after he left.

MIND BOGGLING,

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have to go with Queen.......IMHO Freddie Mercury is one of the best male vocalists of all time....they also put on one heck of a show and have numerous great songs...

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
As a card carrying member of KISS ARMY you forgot to mention......

"THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD!"

KISS!

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have to go with Queen.......IMHO Freddie Mercury is one of the best male vocalists of all time....they also put on one heck of a show and have numerous great songs...
Queen is probably my all time favorite, too. No one out did them in a show! I'm mainly a guitar heroes kind of guy and Brian May is awesome!!!

But of all of them on the list, I think they all deserve a vote because these groups have smashed all time records and captivated millions in live performances.

The list just wasn't big enough to include all the greats, of which I would have included Glenn Miller.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Now if the question was best LIVE band Id have alot of opinions.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now if the question was best LIVE band Id have alot of opinions.
Usually The Grateful Dead lead that category.

I've only seen Pink Floyd (2x), Eagles (2x), Clapton (3x), Journey (1x) of those I mentioned, live.

Other all time favs I didn't mention are Boston, Aerosmith and ZZ Top. I got to see Gamma with Ronnie Montrose twice and him once performing solo. What a guitarist, may he rest in peace.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What about CCR
I meant for them to be on the list when I thought it up!!! But I saw the poll only accepted 10 and stopped my list after 10.

They definitely deserve to be on there.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I multi voted.
But Queen and Pink Floyd rock..... ;)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Several good options but I have to say Phil Collins.

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
I voted for Jimi Hendrix. :cool:

Where do you think Michael Jackson and Prince got their fashion sense? :D

1 - 20 of 64 Posts