Ruger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to shooting, purchased .22 Single Six. What brand of ammo to you recommend? Which internet sites do you recommend for ammo? (Local shop shelves are empty). Does using lead tipped bullets require more cleaning of the cylinder after a day of shooting? thanks for any suggestions..

·
Registered
734 Posts
I like shooting mini-mags but anything usually works in a SS. Try Bi-Mart the stores here in OR have been getting more ammo in latley.{ didn't see what part of WA you are in]
The lead heads do leave more residue than the plated or coated, but nothing real bad. When you are blessed with more ammo choices , pick out a few different brands and find which you and your gun like the best. Happy shooting and good luck on the ammo, seems like when we got more around here the prices had almost doubled. Spend it while it's still worth something...

·
Registered
318 Posts
I burn a lot of Federals in my SS Hunter.
It does arguably well with the 550 bulk pack and better with the 325 bulk pack Auto Match.
Each of these run about $20 per pack from the local Wally World.
When I find them in stock I will usuall buy 4 or 5 packs to hold me until the next time they are in stock.

I do a lot of plinking from 25 to 50 yards and the Federals will hit what ever I can see.

I don't get any leading with either but the lube builds up in the chambers and needs a quick brushing every 2 or 3 hundred rounds.

Jack

·
Registered
55 Posts
FWIW, Winchester Dynapoints leaded the pretty bad in the cylinder of my 3 screw Single Six, though they shoot well enough in the rest of my 22s. Winchester Wildcats shoot a lot better for me and they're still relatively cheap. I'm not going for target accuracy, just perforating soup cans out to about 30 yards.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My 50th Ann. Single Six likes CCI STD Velocitys, Federal bulk packs and the Winchester bulk packs (333s & 555s) about the best. Heck it even shoot the crappy steel cased Russian stuff pretty well. I save the Winchester Wild Cats for my S&W 22A. It loves them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We fire anything that will fit in the cylinder in our Single Six!

Other than the occasional FTF (normal for bulk boxes) the little workhorse will eat pretty much anything.

Gotta love revolvers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.