Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the good and bad .22 LRs for a MArk II?

remington brass plated hps (525 value pack)?
Federal 550s form wal-mart?

thoughts?

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I have good luck with the Federal Wally-world stuff. Use it almost exclusively in my MK2 and 10/22.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Best: Federal 550 bulk pack from Wal-mart or CCI Mini-Mag.

Worst: Winchester 'Expert' bulk pack and Remington 'Golden Bullet' bulk pack.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,963 Posts
I agree with COFFEE POT. CCI Mini-Mags seem to shoot the best but cost way more than Federals. With exception of the Federal bulk pack ammo, I have had poor performance with all other bulk pack 22s and other cheap stuff in 50 round boxes. If you have a chronograph, try shooting a 10 shot string with several brands. You'll soon see why we recommend Federals and CCI. Besides accuracy, CCIs and Federals tend to feed better too.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I like the Federals too. Use the 550 Bulk packs for my MKII & Single Six, and the Automatch in my rifles (10/22 RRR, and 77/22).

The Automatch in both rifles will shoot groups a fraction of the size of the 550 bulk (pencil diameter groups vs. quarter size groups), but thats from a rest. Offhand with pistols, I'm not a good enough shot to tell the difference so they get the cheaper 550 pack.

The Remington Golden bullet I tried were crap. BANG, pip, pop, dud, bang. Dirty as heck too. Left me with a raspy throat shooing indoors in a very short period.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I like Federal bulk packs and Stinger, I use the bulk pack federal for just plicking. If I am hunting or removing something like a sunk I use stringer. They really do the job.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just ran the federal 550s and Remington 525 value packs through my MKII, no problems at a all. The I tried Remington subs sonics and I expereinced two misfores, but the cycled reliably.

I prefer the Federals. They seem cleaner.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've got an early Ruger 10-22 made and shipped in 1967 that I have never done anything to except "clean" it period! Many thousands of trouble-free rounds through it until last month when I tried some "Remington Golden" bullet ammo in it. What a bunch of "junk" that stuff is! I'm "guessing" they have a contract with the Chinese to produce this stuff for them???...........Dick

·
Registered
63 Posts
Me too. My frist 1100 rounds were a box of Remington and a box of Federal. Only one round of the Federal hung up on me and I had a number of jams with the Remington.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I vote for the Federal Automatch and the Federal Bulk Pack, used the Golden Bullets and they ran very dirty and inconsistent, and the Winchester bulk pack just plain sucked. Now we are just talking plinking here, the CCI mini mags are good but you pay for them. The Remington Yellow Jackets are great but you pay for them also, the best deal seems to be the Federal Automatch when available at Wally World.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Winchester moved rimfire from East Alton to Mississippi and their quality may have slipped while trying to cut corners. May end up costing them in the long run.[v]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts