Ruger Forum banner

Best ammo for LCP 2 22lr is?

27K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  frazty 
#1 ·
Went to the range today and tried several 22lr brands in my new LCP 2; got mixed results. Every ammo I tried except Federal [not sure what type] stovepiped at least once. nose shape and velocity figure here.I will try CCI minimags next, always had good service from minimags in other semiautos.What have you tried that was flawless in the LCP 2 22lr? Thanks.

#5 ·
My LCPII22LR has been tested with the following. I have had no issues with mine now up to 1,400+ rounds. The only issues I have had is with Winchester. I have not put any Hyper Velocity ammo down range other than to test it. It shoots thunderbolts and most anything I tested. Good grip with a good cleaning after practice helps. I decided to stick with my range ammo below. This has worked for me. Your results may vary. Good luck and put as much time in at the range as you can.
CCI MINI MAG 22LR CPRN 40gr. fps 1235
CCI MINI MAG 22LR CPHP 36gr. fps 1260
Blazer 22LR 40gr LRN 1255fps
Blazer 22LR 38gr. 1235fps. LRN
Remington Golden Bullet 22LR 40gr. 1255fps. Plated RN
Federal 22LR 36gr 1260fps CPHP

#6 ·
Stick to the round nose. At least for me. Mine will shoot lead round nose standard velosity all day but hollow point high velocity starts to make it cranky. For instance cci blazer lead round nose shoots all day, but hollowpoint stingers jam every 15 rounds or so. Its no real loss as in that short barrel a stingers powder is half wasted anyway

#8 ·
winchester silver tip for me. the gel block hated it thats for sure. tried a agulia copper plated solid for comparison. thought the solid would have had more penetration at least, it did not. the other handgun specific round is federal punch witch I did not test but others have. its just a round nose so, im sure the silver tip will do better

#9 ·
The following have functioned flawlessly, no jams whatsoever:
CCI Mini Mags 40 gr (200 rds)
CCI Blazer 40 gr (100 rds)
GECO Semi Auto 40 gr (100 rds)

others:
  • had my first jam with CCI SV today...1 (FTF) in 100
  • Winchester Super X 40 gr, one dud in 10 rds today
  • Eley Force 50 rds no malfunction...more tests required

I’ve been shooting a lot recently putting the little LCP II through its paces. I’m lucky to live in rural lands where I can shoot when I want!

#11 ·
We have run a dozen different varieties through our lcp...so far the best has been thunderbolts and 36gr mini-mags at 99-100% per hundred...some brands that we thought would be great fell flat, such as Winchester super x, Federal and Aguila...tomorrow we will try a hundred blazers, just looking for another option...we like this little gun and we might wear it out testing ammo...down the road we want to acquire a mark IV and we figure might as well find out what rugers like to be fed...all our other .22's are lever or single action not finicky about ammo...

#13 ·
So far mine prefers Remington Goldens. I am hoping the new Macarbo recoil spring will shoot standard ammo better without so many failures. The Dang LCR22 eats anything I put in it and almost rare to ever get a failure. And then just so simple to go on to the next round. Man, I love the LCR22!!!!!!

Reactions: frazty
#18 ·
So far mine prefers Remington Goldens. I am hoping the new Macarbo recoil spring will shoot standard ammo better without so many failures. The Dang LCR22 eats anything I put in it and almost rare to ever get a failure. And then just so simple to go on to the next round. Man, I love the LCR22!!!!!!

My LCP loves Golden Bullet and anything CCI.
Lots of issues with Thunderbolts and Federal balk ammo.
I have owned 5 of these Ruger LCP 11 .22s. Everytime I go shooting with friends or relatives one of them fall in love with the pistol and just has to have it. 🤣 I now own one with the stainless slide. Looks cool.
I also recently picked up the Ruger LCR 8 shot .22. Best revolver I have ever owned. And I have had and still own some beautiful Smith and Wesson and Colt revolvers. The trigger on the LCR is remarkable.

#17 ·
CCI Minimag 40 grain is my go to for any semi auto handgun. They have been the most reliable 22lr for me over 50 years. My wife put 100 rounds of Aguila 38 grain HP through the LCP2 yesterday morning without any malfunctions. She put 100 rounds of Remington GB's through her 10-22 with 2 malfunctions. She did most of the shooting.
I tried 20 Interceptors in the LCP2 and they functioned flawlessly but I could feel the slide coming back too hard. I don't think it could handle a steady diet. I use them in my LCR and SP101.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.