Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting a new rifle to mess with and been looking at the AR10s I was wondering if any of you could make any good recommendations?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I put together one from Palmetto State Armory and so far, have been very pleased. Some people knock them, but most seem to like them. They run some pretty good specials at times, that's how I got parts for mine. I wasn't in a hurry, so doing it that way got me the whole thing for much less $ than usual.

·
Registered
17,456 Posts
I really like my Armalite AR-10 TBNF. It came with a stainless 20" match barrel and a match trigger.
Bought it about 9 years ago, when they were just a little over a thousand bucks.

·
"The Real Deal"
9,110 Posts
I own 5 or 6 in different calibers. I have several generation 1 dpms LR308s. They have been highly accurate and no issues in 15 or more years. They have been discontinued but you can still find them for sale everywhere for reasonable prices. It has the highest amount of after market parts that work with it, so customization is easy with tools. Have 2 fulton armory titans, they are use dpns pattern parts too. Have one aero precision M5 which also uses the dpms parts.

I like the rock river but its components are proprietary so you have to use rock river parts only.

The armalite is also a great rifle but psrts for it are also proprietary to that rifle so you have to use parts that are compatible, not lr308 parts commonality.

The dpms and armalite are the 2 that have the most aftermarket support.

Here is 2 of mine. Dpms lr308 i built 24" heavy fluted barrel, burris eliminator laser range finding scope.

Gas Wood Machine Engineering Metal

This is my fulton armory titan i built in 243 win. 18" shilen match barrel , 6x24x50 nikon monarch 3 fine crosshair.

Wood Shear Gas Machine Metal

·
Registered
377 Posts
My votes for Aero Precision. The quality was impeccable and the price didn't break the bank. I did my own build off of a stripped Aero upper and lower with a Ballistic Advantage barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor and the rifle is a tack driver. It can shoot better than I can out to 500 yds and bet it would hit at farther if I had the room and time to open it up. A nice plus is with the usual AR upper swap I also built a 16" upper in 308 win. with a red dot on it. Do I need a 16" 308 and what it can be used for is debatable, but the gun is a blast to shoot and recoil is so mild that even my petite fiance can shoot it with no issue. The only downside is the bug tends to get to you and I'm currently shopping for an affordable 243 barrel to make another upper. They do sell their uppers and lowers completely assembled if you don't want to go the build your own route.
'

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
What a great question. I was interested in an AR-10 for a long time. Did some research on highly recommended models and kinda freaked a bit about pricing. I'm not able to comment on which might be best for you. As you see, there are a few options out there. I found a used Primary Weapon Systems AR-10 and love it. I had a gunsmith look it over after I bought it. It is a blast to shoot. Good luck.

·
"The Real Deal"
9,110 Posts
My votes for Aero Precision. The quality was impeccable and the price didn't break the bank. I did my own build off of a stripped Aero upper and lower with a Ballistic Advantage barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor and the rifle is a tack driver. It can shoot better than I can out to 500 yds and bet it would hit at farther if I had the room and time to open it up. A nice plus is with the usual AR upper swap I also built a 16" upper in 308 win. with a red dot on it. Do I need a 16" 308 and what it can be used for is debatable, but the gun is a blast to shoot and recoil is so mild that even my petite fiance can shoot it with no issue. The only downside is the bug tends to get to you and I'm currently shopping for an affordable 243 barrel to make another upper. They do sell their uppers and lowers completely assembled if you don't want to go the build your own route.
'
I vote for the shilen match barrel in 243win, it loves the 95tmk with imr4831.
Also look at Columbia River Arms, i have a barrel in 338 federal thats top notch. Here is my titan 338 federal 20" hbar.

Wood Track Rolling stock Bumper Railway

Here is how they all started.

Hand Liquid Automotive tire Cosmetics Finger

I have 2 carbine length rifles as well. One started as an lr308 oracle, used the action barrel and reciever, changed everything else, has an eotech 512 on it.

The other is built on the aero lower 16" dpms barrel, A2 stock, 12.5 free float tube, 3-9×50 scope.

·
"The Real Deal"
9,110 Posts
Look at windham weaponry, they make a great 308 ar too.

·
"The Real Deal"
9,110 Posts
Reactions: Lonewolf Mcquade

·
Registered
377 Posts
I vote for the shilen match barrel in 243win, it loves the 95tmk with imr4831.
Also look at Columbia River Arms, i have a barrel in 338 federal thats top notch. Here is my titan 338 federal 20" hbar.

View attachment 160996

Here is how they all started.

View attachment 160995

I have 2 carbine length rifles as well. One started as an lr308 oracle, used the action barrel and reciever, changed everything else, has an eotech 512 on it.

The other is built on the aero lower 16" dpms barrel, A2 stock, 12.5 free float tube, 3-9×50 scope.
Very nice I'll do that! This is my two both use the same lower for now. They both also started off as stripped lowers like yours, albeit with an Aero Precision M5 lower and with Aero Stripped uppers. The top one is the 6.5 Creedmoor with a Vortex Viper and the lower one is the sixteen inch 308 Win with a Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Wood Cross Religious item Musical instrument Machine
Wood Cross Religious item Gas Symbol

·
"The Real Deal"
9,110 Posts
Very nice I'll do that! This is my two both use the same lower for now. They both also started off as stripped lowers like yours, albeit with an Aero Precision M5 lower and with Aero Stripped uppers. The top one is the 6.5 Creedmoor with a Vortex Viper and the lower one is the sixteen inch 308 Win with a Sig Sauer Romeo 5
View attachment 160998 View attachment 160999
The 18" 243win barrel is the one i used. You will need a sentry S7 adjustable gas block as well, its overgassed, but that gasblock will tame it perfectly.

Here is where my 338 barrel came from, had it custom built.

I will add my aero m5 and dpms carbine to the thread thursday.. Your 16" looks very similiar to my 16"

Have a vortex viper pst ffp on my barret, great scope.

Reactions: Montana09

·
Registered
16 Posts
I put together one from Palmetto State Armory and so far, have been very pleased. Some people knock them, but most seem to like them. They run some pretty good specials at times, that's how I got parts for mine. I wasn't in a hurry, so doing it that way got me the whole thing for much less $ than usual.
I just completed exactly this last week. $699 for BLEM upper and lower out the door.

·
"The Real Deal"
9,110 Posts
As promised..

Here is my Aero M5 in 308 i built, 16" dpms carbine barrel, fulton 12.5 free float tube. trigger is set 2.5lbs. hiperfire 24e. Loves my 168 smk reload.

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tire Bumper Motor vehicle

·
"The Real Deal"
9,110 Posts
Here is one that started as an lr308 oracle, 16" barrel, acs stock, supercomp xl brake, mbus sights with an eotech 512, 12.5 midwest free float rail, kak double ejector bolt carrier group, etc, etc.

Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Table Wheel

Reactions: hustonlv
1 - 20 of 63 Posts