Ruger Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
726 Posts
Not a "bang for the buck" upgrade
But if I had a 10/22 the only upgrade I would really want is an M1 Carbine kit. :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Since you are mostly shooting 25-50 yds and occasionally out to 100 yds, I wouldn't bother with a bunch of high end upgrades. Maybe a BX trigger and a scope. Just have fun with it. If you get into competitive shooting you can always upgrade later, but most likely you'll have a couple more 10/22's by then!

·
Registered
665 Posts
What I have done to 10/22's I have owned.
Bed the action/barrel, trigger job and mod (put on a radius) the bolt and hammer where they meet.
Polish the areas that rub.
Check the barrel "V" block and watch out how it is mounted. Be careful to align the barrel correctly.
Add a good scope for the .22 lr.
All these things can be done by the owner if they are mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The Ruger 10/22 does not "need" upgrades. If you want a bullseye target rifle and you buy a 10/22 from Walmart, you have chosen the wrong tool IMO. I killed many squirrels and many tin cans in my youth with a stock 10/22... not sure how I ever got by with that rifle just stock out of the box!

I did change out the sights a few years ago. I removed the scope that I had put on it in my young adult years and put a set of Tech Sights on it. Gave me click repeatable adjustments and a sight picture similar to that of an AR-15. Now that my son is not shooting my 10/22, I may put the scope back on. I also did modify the bolt release to allow me to release the bolt without using the bolt release tab. But other than that, my rifle is the exact same as it was the day I got it for my birthday back in the early 80's.
You assume the primary reason for upgrading is purely function. A trigger upgrade may be worth it for the feel alone, even if I can't shoot the lights out of the stock one. A stock upgrade is an aesthetic, not a shooting choice, though it may improve shooting as well, etc.

I want to know what people consider upgrades that they consider worthwhile and I can then make the decision on the relevant tradeoffs of cost vs. utility. If I end up with a fancy gun that I'll never utilize fully, that is my decision. But I don't want to go into it uninformed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
@pareto , I did not mean to imply one SHOULD NOT modify a 10-22. Only that one does not NEED TO modify a 10-22.

My Carbine does not shoot as well as my Target model does. The Target model came from Ruger with a higher quality trigger and a heavy contour barrel.

Some guys just like to tinker, and there is a lot of fun in that. I tinker with motorcycles.
You assume the primary reason for upgrading is purely function. A trigger upgrade may be worth it for the feel alone, even if I can't shoot the lights out of the stock one. A stock upgrade is an aesthetic, not a shooting choice, though it may improve shooting as well, etc.

I want to know what people consider upgrades that they consider worthwhile and I can then make the decision on the relevant tradeoffs of cost vs. utility. If I end up with a fancy gun that I'll never utilize fully, that is my decision. But I don't want to go into it uninformed.

as i said before the only upgrade i think is a must (for me anyway) is the bolt release. makes it function like my mini-14. a drop in part anyone can do and makes the gun much easier to shoot. a few dollars or modify the one it came with.

·
Registered
604 Posts

You asked two questions, with the first being "is there an out of the box Ruger that won't need any upgrades for a few years?"... I answered that question, in my opinion. based on my experience with the operative word being "need". If an "upgrade" doesn't improve function, it isn't much of an upgrade in my opinion, and it certainly is not needed.

You are assuming that everyone thinks that stock 10/22 aren't capable rifles without some type of upgrades or modifications. The 10/22 is similar to the AR when it comes to modifying... tons of aftermarket support and ways to change your rifle. Some guys will learn to shoot the rifle and do nothing more than add a scope and there is nothing wrong with that. Some like to tinker and their 10/22 ends up being nothing more than the Ruger receiver with everything else completely changed out with aftermarket parts. Nothing wrong with that either. I actually have a Ruger 10/22 that my brother in law gave me because he did that. Actually it is every part except for the serialized receiver... but stock, barrel, bolt, trigger group... it's all there! It was cheaper for him to buy a complete rifle at Walmart for the receiver, than to just buy a receiver by itself. His gun is a little more accurate when shot from a bench, but I hate bench shooting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
My feeling then is that the following are what I would want fairly quickly on a gun. Nice stock, auto bolt release, maybe bolt buffer pin change, and ~2.5 pound trigger. Optics/scope to be experimented with depending on what I can see well.
I'm not an expert, but I enjoy bench shooting as that's the only way I can get precision shooting to >20 yards because of my bad thumb and handshakes, but I think a barrel upgrade would be for later and not required.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thinking of getting a 10/22 after having shot one a few times at the range. I mostly shoot indoors in 25 to 50 yd lanes although we have 100 yd lanes and am no better than lower average. Outdoor ranges are far away and inconvenient to get to.

But I've only been shooting a short time and almost all pistols, no rifles.

As many people seem to upgrade their 10/22s all the time, is there an out of the box Ruger that won't need any upgrades for a few years? Or are there a few high value upgrades that you would encourage nearly everyone to do?
You are right. People (myself included) seem to have the "Never Leave Well-Enough Alone" syndrome. :rolleyes: My 10-22 shot just fine...except for the trigger. It would lift my 6 lb puppy off the floor when I attached it to his harness.
I did some reading, tried a BX-whatever trigger group at a store. Nice, but expen$ive! I replaced the stock hammer with a VolquartsenTarget hammer. It improved the trigger pull tremendously, and it was cheaper than the "big names" on thre fourm. Now about 2 3/4 pounds and very nice. While it was apart...I thought "why not?" 😲and radiused and polished the bolt like was shown on RFC. I didn't do it as radically as was shown, and dremeled the bolt release. That, to me is a necessary addition...diy or purchased. I added a scope...can't remember if a 4X or 2.5-7X, but perfecty satisfactory. And it didn't cost a lot. Now it sports a red dot sight my wife gave me one Christmas. It shoots prety good, and didn't cost too much while I was doing it. Good luck! 😎

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just to clarify, I'm not thinking of getting upgrades right away, but trying to understand the process by understanding what things matter and are highest value. It also helps me decide which gun to buy.
A good trigger and the optic you like are the best upgrades.
There are many that upgrade just to be tactical cool. Looks don’t make the shots.
Learn to shoot what you have and relearn after each upgrade.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have wanted the International version for decades. I didn't need it but I bought it because I wanted it. I'm 71 and I might not ever get to shoot it, but I like looking at it. It's the stainless/walnut model. I modify my other guns.

·
Registered
570 Posts
In what ways does the 10/22 need breaking in? Any particular type of ammo to use in the break-in period? Thanks
I've never "broken in" any rifle I have owned. For many years I didn't know it was "necessary". But...my 10-22; I bought it, and then took my son and grandson shooting. They loved my 25 round magazine, :ROFLMAO:and by the end of the day, I didn't have much ammo left, but if it needed it, the gun was definitely "broken in"😎

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree with flyboy61 the Volquartsen Target Hammer is an excellent and inexpensive upgrade to improve the 10/22's stock trigger. My accuracy with either a Vortex 2-7x rimfire scope or a red dot at 50 yards improved noticeably due the lighter and crisper trigger pull. At the same time I put in the Volquartsen bolt release plate. Total cost for both about $65 if memory serves. For aesthetic reasons I replaced my black synthetic stock with a Boyds laminated thumbhole stock. Last think was an adapter on the fore end sling stud with short pic rail for a bipod.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Seems like even the simplest 10/22 is about $300 new. If got a BX trigger, auto bolt release, pic rail, and a nice Boyd stock, that would be another 300 bucks with tax and shipping. Is there anything at the $600 level that gives me what I want from the start? The barrel can be ordinary, with no upgrades. Or what should I look out for in the used market?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
In most cases I would prefer to just leave the gun alone. I save money for important things and it might be more of a challenge than putting on a maximum power scope and other things. I'm not a sniper or a tactical enhanced person but when I had a M-16 I could reach out to 500 yards and hit without having a scope of any kind. Scopes were not permitted so you got used to using the standard sights provided. I'm thinking of getting a 10-22 and if I do most likely the only thing, I would put on it would be some kind of flash suppressor only because I don't like the look of a straight barrel.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Been thinking about this myself. It is possible to build a 10/22 without buying a 10/22. There are that many mods available.

Triangle Font Art Red Symmetry

This is the first group I shoot with a Ruger Precision Rimfire at 25 yards. The scope is Simmons 3x9 set at 7 which was repurposed from a Savage 22 mag. The wrench to adjust the trigger is in the rifle, which I have yet do. There are 15 rounds of Remington gold bullets in the group and there is room for 15 rounds in the magazine. The rounds are about 6 years old. The groups were shoot from a bench with a bipod. More scope and a trigger adjustment may help. The adjustable length of pull and cheek rest make getting a good fit easy. Paid 375$ out the door for an open box including tax. The first buyer wanted a .17 caliber rim fire. Up grade was a bipod which I already had. I do like improving a firearm, but sometimes you just want to tear little ragged holes in the target. Sure is ugly? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Now for 50 and 100 yards.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts