Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a newbie on reloading I certainly have a whole lot of reading and learning to do.

Ive been reading the books, but need advise on some affordable paper target bullets for reloading for my super red hawk alaskan 454 casull. (i like the .45 colt but would rather start reloads with the 454.)

I know the starling brass is good and affordable so now its just a matter of finding the right bullets.

I'd like to be able to do some light to moderate loads for practice.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated since my first 2 manuals where not very helpful on bullet selections.

thanks

M

·
Registered
60 Posts
best bang for the buck for shooting paper - Missouri Bullet Company, Friendswood Bullet Company

slightly more expensive but still affordable - Penn Bullets

·
Banned
619 Posts
A good hard cast SWC like those made by Missouri Bullet Co., Oregon Trails/Laser Cast and others will make nice big and round holes in a target. You can find data for them at various powder makers websites. ;)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Yup, a good quality cast boolit will do anything you ask of it if you match the design to the velocity! Also, you can get mild to wild with the .45 Colt in your .454, while generally using less powder for the same result, especially for milder loads. Also, having .45 brass and .454 brass is a good way to tell your lighter loads from heavier loaded stuff, if you are loading the same bullet or boolit (cast) in different loads. As the .44 mag did a long time ago, the .454 made alot of new reloaders, as do the newer S&W magnums, because the only way to stay profficient with the big boomers is to shoot them alot, and that ain't easy with the price of ammo these days!
Good luck beginning loading, there are plenty here who are happy to help, and can figure out just about any problem you may run into!

·
Registered
14 Posts
For light plinking loads, I load HSM hard cast 250gr RNFP, Loaded somewhere around a 1050 - 1100 fps.

But . . . hey! . . . it's a .454 . . . so we need to pump things up a little . . .

I like the Hornady 300gr XTP Mag for mid range and heavier loads at around 1350 fps up to 1600 fps.

I use Cast Performance 265gr WFN GC for a snappy load at 1525 to 1600 fps.

And, I shoot the Cast Performance 335gr WLN GC at around 1150 to 1400 for my bear and big game loads.

Truth be said . . . . I probably shoot the Hornady 300gr XTP Mag the most with the 265gr Gas Checked the next most frequently at the range.

I've not shot any large animals yet . . . but the .454 will sure knock over the target stand if the base isn't weighted down. . . .

·
Registered
197 Posts
Beartooth cast bullets are not cheap but, they have plenty to choose from on their website. I believe the best weight cast for a 454 are 300 grainers. In my experience they are accurate and hard hitting considering you are using a WFN. If you want a flatter tragectory for your application, try a 225gr or 250gr Barnes. You can load these to a high pistol velocity.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
My go to load for my SRH is 360 grain cast performance WLFNGC bullets sitting on 24 grains of H110 and small rifle primers. It will shoot through a big brownie width ways or length ways.

·
Registered
60 Posts
For 250 grain hardcast bullets, Friendswood Bullets has the best prices but it's a RNFP bullet. If you like SWC (I do, they make nice clean holes) look at Missouri Bullets.

Missouri Bullets has the best prices on 300 grain hardcast bullets. I can push them to 1238 fps out of my 4 inch Redhawk in 45LC (not 454!) using a max load of H-110.

I agree with the post of 429421Cowboy - load the mild ones in 45LC and the hot ones in 454 cases, although in my case, I load them all in 45LC.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Ralph, i can't think of a single critter that lives anywhere between you and me that will shrug off a 300 grainer at 1200+ with a big flat nose! Gotta love the old .45 "Long" (!) Colt!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Missouri Bullet Co
for lead pills - if you keep 'em on the slower side (1250 -1300) you "shouldn't" have any leading.

If you do, it's more than likely, you're barrel isn't a great fit for their bullets.
But I would start there.

MBC - GREAT people. with very fast service.
I usually get my order 3 days after placing it, & I live over 1,000 miles away.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
For the most part, big bullets = big bucks.

Then there's the difference between practice loads for paper, practice loads for full power performance, and gas check cast or jacketed bullets for stopping those FL grizzlies.

The lowest cost bullets can be had from Remington, as swaged lead. In 500 count bulk they run $13/100, by the 500/1000, less. But they are leading badly much above 800fps. Below that they actually shoot quite well. Hornady Cowboy bullets are a bit more, but within their limits, they are fine shooters.

Lots of good plain base cast bullets out there that will hit 1000-1200fps. They run about 2X the swaged stuff. In the heavier weights, they are probably as good as anything, for most of the shooting a .454 fan will encounter.

Then there's the bullets that make the gun worth it's money. Cast gas check, and jacketed are pretty much equal for top end loads. They also cost more. It's what you believe in more than anything. Some want the deep penetration of a large heavy cast, some are impressed with expansion with their terminal energy.

There's a good argument for a mix, for handguns I shoot almost exclusively lead. I like the Cowboy lead stuff more and more as my hands age, and cast lead for more punch. But if runaway trains and bigfoot zombies keep you awake at knight, the 452651 RCBS cast at 325gr should fix their wagon.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Being a newbie on reloading I certainly have a whole lot of reading and learning to do.

Ive been reading the books, but need advise on some affordable paper target bullets for reloading for my super red hawk alaskan 454 casull. (i like the .45 colt but would rather start reloads with the 454.)

I know the starling brass is good and affordable so now its just a matter of finding the right bullets.

I'd like to be able to do some light to moderate loads for practice.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated since my first 2 manuals where not very helpful on bullet selections.

thanks

M
Mar454...welcome to RF.net...a great site with great help answering questions!

And a great question you asked...I was thinking about asking the same question...and their answers have been helpful to me as well!

Also, I just receive a Tritium front sight for the Alaskan from www.xssights.com $68 shipping included!

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I know the Starline brass is good and affordable
And most of the time it's even available. That can't be said for a lot of sources. I use it for my top end .357/.44 loads, as It holds up well, and it's consistent from year(s) to year(s).

There is also a lot of discussion with respect to using "Special" brass in magnum handguns. Some are all for it, others never. But if you look at the cost of .45 Colt, the idea has a lot of merit for loads you'll use for making holes in paper, as it's barely half the cost.

If you plan to hang on to the .454, get a good supply as it will not be getting any cheaper, and if Obama is re-elected he plans to tax components and ammo out of reach of many. Same for bullets and primers and powder.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
but need advise on some affordable paper target bullets
Just good o' 250g RFNP or 255g SWC will work fine. No need to 'kill' paper with heavy loads in the .454 (plus it isn't fun after a few shots anyway).... Standard .45 Colt loads in .454 brass will work great (or just use .45 Colt brass). Penn bullets, Rimrock are venders that have good lead bullets for you to reload. 8 to 10g of Unique for example should be a good starting point.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Here's a link to a nice lead bullet.
It doesn't have a gas check, so I wouldn't do full house loads with it.
But it'd be GREAT for plinking rounds in the neighborhood of 1,300-1,400 fps or slower.

Missouri Bullet Co is my favorite lead supplier.
They have good prices & they ship crazy fast.
(usually the same day as the order is placed.)
When I order on Mon, it's almost always here Wednesday.

Missouri Bullet Company

1 - 18 of 18 Posts