Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The stock steel one works great in the thousands and thousands of 10/22's out there. The only thing those plastic and rubber buffers do is give you a warm fuzzy and stimulate the economy. If you really want one that bad go to your local hardware store and pick up a 1/4" nylon bolt for about .89 cents. It will work just as well as those $9 ones.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Made mine out of 1/4" O.D. clear hose and a split roll pin.
Basically cost nothing as I had the stuff laying around in the garage.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I use them only to eliminate that annoying loud clank everytime the bolt flies back under recoil. It doesn't silence it completely, but it's a lot less noticeable. I've been using the 1/4" nylon bolt trick, but if you prefer a commercial option instead any of the ones you mentioned will do.

·
Registered
403 Posts
[any others worth considering?

thanks in advance,
J[/QUOTE]

Wilson Combat makes the best, midway usa has them for $9 a piece last time i bought some, buy the best, you pay for what u get

·
Registered
127 Posts
[any others worth considering?

Tuffer buffer 3 for $12 shipped. Plus he is a great guy to deal with. I like the softest buffers I can find Weaponkraft or tuffer buffer are the best. Have also used the VQ with the steel core pin. The gent originally selling the weaponkraft has passed on several years ago. Noise in the stock is what I am trying to eliminate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As a newbie to the 10/22s I got my bolt buffer from kidd for about 6 bucks, and after looking at it quality looks great BUT it's definetely something I could've conjured up myself.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another. Pick one from wherever you're ordering stuff from and go with it. No real big differences between them. More of a "feel good" thing any any real necessity. If it was that important, Ruger would've made them a standard thing years ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The stock steel one works great in the thousands and thousands of 10/22's out there. The only thing those plastic and rubber buffers do is give you a warm fuzzy and stimulate the economy. If you really want one that bad go to your local hardware store and pick up a 1'4" nylon bolt for about .89 cents. It will work just as well as those $9 ones.

Couldn't quite make out the size of that nylon bolt you mentioned....
1foot 4 inches
1.4 inches
1/4 inch

Thanks

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Is the same true for trigger assemblies? I've been looking at Kidd and Volquartsen versions and was wondering if one was better than the other?
Oh no, big difference in the triggers. The Kidd is far and above consider the creme de la creme, bar none. The VQ assembly...well I have one and am so glad I didn't spend full price. it's no better of a trigger than those I've had re-worked by TT Shooter. For the price, you're basically buying the housing and the name. Now that said, unless you're going with the top-level stuff on the rest of the build - barrel, optics, action, assembly - going to the level of these, or the Kidd I guess, is a waste of $$$. Skimping on one component isn't compensated for by going over on another. The vast majority of folks would be very happy with a simple DIY method. It does make a big difference. If you are to go to that level, also consider Jard. I love mine and would certainly go with another. I'd put it just below the Kidd.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh no, big difference in the triggers. The Kidd is far and above consider the creme de la creme, bar none. The VQ assembly...well I have one and am so glad I didn't spend full price. it's no better of a trigger than those I've had re-worked by TT Shooter. For the price, you're basically buying the housing and the name. Now that said, unless you're going with the top-level stuff on the rest of the build - barrel, optics, action, assembly - going to the level of these, or the Kidd I guess, is a waste of $$$. Skimping on one component isn't compensated for by going over on another. The vast majority of folks would be very happy with a simple DIY method. It does make a big difference. If you are to go to that level, also consider Jard. I love mine and would certainly go with another. I'd put it just below the Kidd.
Great info, Thank you! Loving this forum already.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have yet to order one yet, but from my extensive reading on many different forums on 10/22's the last couple days....the Kidd seems to be the favorite.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts