Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I'm guessing there is a big difference between the "best" and a "good value" and you can spend as lot for the best there is with all the bells and whistles.
I doubt there is any car safe that is burglar proof so your intent is important. Do you just want lockable storage, or a quick draw access?

Myself, I got a 2 pack of basic keyed boxes that came with the Sentinel gun cabinet I bought. They were labeled SnapSafe (who I think makes Sentinel sold at Mendards) and the ad listed them as a $50 value.

For my purposes, they work just fine. It's cabled under the seat and used only to store short term if I go somewhere I can't carry. The other is cabled to a lag bolt in the floor next to the night stand for the SR9. It gets locked up when the nephews are over. It won't stop a thief with a bolt cutter, but it will take him extra time that just may discourage him or get caught in the act.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have an LCP and an LCR. What is a good value priced car safe? Key or combo lock?
TX
Depends on your vehicle.
My truck has a center console where I have a Tuffy in console locking lockbox/safe. It attaches inside the console so while it can be defeated, it will take time and require significant damage.

·
Registered
Mk II, Wrangler, LCPII .22 LR, EC9S, Security 9, P-85, RAR .17 HMR + .22 LR, + 10/22 Sporter
1,966 Posts
Buy a holster for a Super Blackhawk Hunter and just leave it on the car roof while it's parked. Locking the doors is optional.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got the lock box for my car. I have it hooked to the seat frame via cable and keep it under the passenger's seat. It works fine for me. I only use it when I go into some place where I can't carry.
There is one in the pic below- price shows about $35, but I believe I paid about $18 for mine at Academy.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I got the lock box for my car. I have it hooked to the seat frame via cable and keep it under the passenger's seat. It works fine for me. I only use it when I go into some place where I can't carry.
There is one in the pic below- price shows about $35, but I believe I paid about $18 for mine at Academy.

Yup. That's what I have, but with a key

·
Registered
30 Posts
Console vault, drops right into the center console and mine has the three digit combo. All the valuables go in there along with the daily carry.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
These folks are in San Antonio. I used them on my new truck because Console Vault did not have the new year model available last October. Locker Down used my truck for their prototype/design vehicle on the front and rear vaults. They offer combo or key. Depending on your vision and how your vault is used, the combo might create a challenge in some circumstances. The key eliminates vision/visibility issues but adds a key to your pocket. I have had both. Both have drawbacks. For my purpose the key works best. You need some sort of device in your pocket to get in the vehicle anyway. Vehicle vaults are not quick access or without risk devices, they are for security and to slow down bad guys.

The vault is only of value if your vehicle is where you left it. These folks offer an excellent product.…of course if the bad guys/gals own/operate a flatbed wrecker an armed driver in the vehicle when parked is the better choice.
Find the dealer for your area.

Now you’re ready for a tracking device.…and never think OnStar will save your vehicle. They will ask you for the police report number before they will/can help. The suburban was stolen from …..wait for it….the Target parking lot mid day. It was a friends’ wife’s. There were no guns in it. To add insult to injury, the vehicle had an iPad powered up inside. The police needed a warrant to take action on that tracking. His wife has a new vehicle but the insurance did not pay the Covid price factor!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I run the spectrum. I have cheapy combo lock boxes, key only boxes and I have some expensive Hornady Rapid Safes (I believe Hornady owns SnapSafe as a separate company). I keep safes cable-tethered to seats in truck, as well as through sheet metal cutouts in the back of the car trunk (not a good place to conceal in low seats in the car). I make sure the safes are not visible when looking into vehicles.

Warning: If you plan to push lock boxes under the car seat, be sure you do not unplug the sensor wire harnesses that may be connected to the seat.

The cheaper ones' real value is in that they are generally smaller and easier to conceal. However, the cheaper the box, the flimsier they are, so they can be defeated with a dremel pretty quickly. The cheap combo dial locks are flimsy as well. Have not had one fail, but they are really hard for my fat fingers to rotate. Hornady also makes the slimmer keyed and combo lock boxes, but I don't have any of these.

The Hornady Rapid safes are much more expensive and bulkier than cheap ones and need batteries in the safe, though they have keyed backup. Safes use RFID technology. You put inert fobs close to the keypad to immediately activate the safe. You have to program the fobs with each safe. It's pretty easy to do with provided directions. The fobs come in wrist bands, a small keychain-like fob, or decals you can stick on anything. In addition, some also have a keypad you can use to activate with a programmable code. The one I use most has 6 batteries and is really bulky, so in my truck I put a tarp over it on the floor in the back seat and can put the back seat down over it if I wasn't really lazy. Only use it when I can't carry at a place.

Hornady does have a Vehicle Safe that is made to put between console seats. I thought about this. It is fairly plain, but it is clearly visible sitting between the console and seat. I decided it was too obvious and even if it stopped the gun theft, I'd be doing a window repair and whatever other damage to vehicle.

Lots of choices.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Someone I know had the cable cut on the gun safe. Lost the gun and safe. Shopping malls are targets as they know you will be a while. Readers will pickup your fob frequency when you lock the doors. They just walk up, push a button to unlock your car and help themselves.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Someone I know had the cable cut on the gun safe. Lost the gun and safe. Shopping malls are targets as they know you will be a while. Readers will pickup your fob frequency when you lock the doors. They just walk up, push a button to unlock your car and help themselves.
The cables can be broke with a 36" crowbar (or tire iron) wrap the cable around bar a little pry and pop goes the cable.

A dremil with a cutting wheel takes less than 2min to cut those cables also.

I tell people looking at them to just take the $20 they want to spend to buy it with and tape it to the gun handle, as they will easily lose both.

·
Administrator
22,670 Posts
I got a Lock'er Down Console safe in my truck. I use it when I have to disarm before going into certain bldgs like Dr's appointments. I got the combo with 4 numbers. It is in the lower under seat console which also locks over the top of it.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I use a pair of handcuffs under the seat for those quick trips like terry_p describes above.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I, too, have Lock'er Down Console safes in three of my vehicles. Like @terry_p, I have the four-digit tumbler combination lock. I choose the four-digit tumbler combination lock and only change one digit when locking it. That way if I need to quickly open the safe, I only need to change a digit.....no fooling around digging for a key or entering four digits.

In addition, the four-digit tumbler combination lock allows the safe lid to be closed and not lock. Whereas, according to the owner of the Lock'er Down Console Safes, the only way to keep the lid down with a key lock, is to "lock it". When I asked if the key could remain in the safe so as to be able to open it quickly (such as driving or sitting in the vehicle), the owner said "no" since the key would not allow the vehicle's console lid to close. The potential delay in opening their safes with a key lock may be an issue for you IF you go with them and IF you choose the key lock option.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
I never unarm myself and leave my firearm alone. As someone said, put it in a holster and leave it on the roof. If a car thief steals your car what difference if you spent $ or $$$$ ... as far as smash and grab you might be ok but why risk it ...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I never unarm myself and leave my firearm alone. As someone said, put it in a holster and leave it on the roof. If a car thief steals your car what difference if you spent $ or $$$$ ... as far as smash and grab you might be ok but why risk it ...
For my situation.....as for firearms, for those of us that carry a third "item" in addition to a primary and bug, it comes in handy. Then there are states like New Mexico that only allow an individual to carry one firearm on their person. So to avoid problems while driving through that state, it serves a purpose.

As for other items of value, like mobile ham radios, spouse's purses, etc., the Lock'er Down Console Safe is very convenient.

I guess it depends upon many factors that individuals are faced with that may influence whether a vehicle console safe is a solution....

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
I, too, have Lock'er Down Console safes in three of my vehicles. Like @terry_p, I have the four-digit tumbler combination lock. I choose the four-digit tumbler combination lock and only change one digit when locking it. That way if I need to quickly open the safe, I only need to change a digit.....no fooling around digging for a key or entering four digits.

In addition, the four-digit tumbler combination lock allows the safe lid to be closed and not lock. Whereas, according to the owner of the Lock'er Down Console Safes, the only way to keep the lid down with a key lock, is to "lock it". When I asked if the key could remain in the safe so as to be able to open it quickly (such as driving or sitting in the vehicle), the owner said "no" since the key would not allow the vehicle's console lid to close. The potential delay in opening their safes with a key lock may be an issue for you IF you go with them and IF you choose the key lock option.

Good luck in your search!
My 21 Yukon lid will close with the key in my vault.

·
Super Moderator
4,838 Posts
I too have a Lock’er Down in my F250. I hate to leave my gun in the truck but sometimes it’s unavoidable. I have the combo on mine. If I had the key version, there would be a time when I wanted to unlock the console but the key would be on my key ring and the truck would be running and I wouldn’t want to shut it off.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts