Ruger Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
My 21 Yukon lid will close with the key in my vault.
Good to hear. It sounds like you have the key on a separate key chain from your Yukon keys. Otherwise, as pointed out above, you would not have access to the lock with the vehicle running. I guess it would be prudent for anyone considering a key lock mechanism to call Lock'er Down Safes and speak with the owner about your specific vehicle and situation. I'm not sure what real advantage if any, a key mechanism provides....

As for the four-digit tumbler lock, all members in my family know the combination and what number needs to be changed to quickly open it. Easy peasy and no extra keys to lose or fumble with. To each their own.....

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
531 Posts
I never unarm myself and leave my firearm alone. As someone said, put it in a holster and leave it on the roof. If a car thief steals your car what difference if you spent $ or $$$$ ... as far as smash and grab you might be ok but why risk it ...
Same here, I carry concealed and don't disarm based on a sign posted at a business.
Laws vary by state, but here in Texas, it's not much of a concern.

Reactions: rmichael63

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
Same here, I carry concealed and don't disarm based on a sign posted at a business.
I don't break the law, just to be clear. I just plan my daily excursions so as to avoid the issue of dealing with anti 2A businesses ...

Reactions: turnkey

·
Super Moderator
4,837 Posts
It’s not so much of a business posting a no firearms sign but I don’t leave the house unarmed. I have kids that I drop at school. If I go in, I absolutely cannot carry. If I go into the post office to get a money order for my latest gunbroker purchase, I absolutely cannot carry. There are plenty of situations where it is illegal to carry a gun beyond a business posting no guns. And honestly, I would rather lock my gun in my truck for the few minutes I have to disarm than to run my whole day disarmed due to knowing I have to stop at one or two gun free zones during the day.

·
Administrator
22,670 Posts
If you go into a Doctors office they can get you naked in a hurry so I leave my carry handgun, knife, extra mag, in the vehicle locked in the safe with the console locked and the truck locked. If the criminals can get at it in the Dr's office parking lot unnoticed then that would be a surprise.

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
531 Posts
I don't break the law, just to be clear. I just plan my daily excursions so as to avoid the issue of dealing with anti 2A businesses ...
That is what we usually do.
If I have to go somewhere I CANNOT carry, I choose to NOT carry at all.
If I need to go into a school, post office, courthouse or anyplace that I cannot carry, I leave my firearm at home.

Generally, if we are headed to the post office my wife and I are together and one of us will stay in the car while the other goes inside.

If we are going to jury duty, or headed across the border to Mexico, we are not leaving a firearm in the car all day unattended.

Seems every person I know that has had a firearm stolen, it was stolen from their car while they were in a restaurant, bar, etc. and someone probably saw or guessed what they were doing.
My daughter has had her purse stolen from clubs for the same reason - putting it in the trunk.
Lots of hunters get their rifles stolen out of vehicles while eating in a restaurants.

We live fairly rural, our doctors office is simply posted for no open carry, concealed is fine.
My doctor probably carries, I have never asked, but I know he does hunt and we have talked about that.
A no open carry sign is the most common that I see. I think probably the only posted no carry places in our town are bars (51%) so that is why I pay scant attention.

Carrying in a business here in Texas that IS posted, and if they notice you are carrying and ask you to leave, as long as you comply, it's not an issue. That applies to business that are not posted as well (but I think that is the same everywhere)

Reactions: rmichael63

·
Registered
187 Posts
Average car thief who stumbles across a safe/lockbox within isn't going to be deterred... they're going to think they hit the jackpot.

The majority of locks and safes are for keeping honest people out. If someone has already broken into your vehicle they are not honest and won't be stopped by most of these gadgets (you did lock your vehicle before leaving a firearm in there, didn't you?).

The 'more secure' options still won't deter most thieves but tend to increase the probability that your vehicle will sustain unnecessary and expensive damage during the removal/attempted removal of your valuables/firearm.

Me, personally, I don't count it as a win if my vehicle's interior sustains hundreds or thousands worth of damage trying to protect a cheap and easily replaced 'truck gun'.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I got the lock box for my car. I have it hooked to the seat frame via cable and keep it under the passenger's seat. It works fine for me. I only use it when I go into some place where I can't carry.
There is one in the pic below- price shows about $35, but I believe I paid about $18 for mine at Academy.

I have a pistol sized one with cable that I use too occasionally in my car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I use this in my pickup console. Use metal self tapping screws plastic the plastic base and into the floor board. Performs like a champ. Doors locked, console lid, and gun in mount so you have to defeat three locks which I know can be defeated with tima.

i also have a Tuffy under seat long gun box bolted in to the frame, if I leave truck at airport then handgun joins long gun in tuffy box.

·
Registered
45 Posts
For the car, I prefer a combination lock. I already have too many keys to carry. Also, I use my lockbox to store other items of value, such as spare cash (not too much; just to cover emegency needs for gas, tolls, running low in the wallet). My lockbox came with a cable to tie around the undercarriage of a front seat. Make sure you can reach it from the driver's seat. Also, I find combo dials that use black paint very hard to see, especially in low light. It's tough to find highly visible dials. Perhaps a consideration for older eyes.

I will note (perhaps, obviously) that the locking situation varies based on type of firearm and location in the vehicle. I used other types of locks when transporting in the rear of my Jeep SUV, including locks on the firearms, themselves.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts