Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good quality scope at a decent price. I would like one that still allows use of the sights.

What do you use and do you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have a Tasco Pronghorn 4X on my 10/22. Does not allow use of sights though. I got mine for around $40. It shelled out once (glass all over the inside) and I sent it to them and I got a brand new one free! Minus $10 shipping.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hans!

I need to be more specific here.

I want a scope for plinking around.

If you make a suggestion, can you let me know if I would need to buy rings, etc as well with the set up you suggest?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have seen a lot of good reviews of the CenterPoint scopes from Walmart. I have one of the 4-16x40's on a .223 and it has held zero well so far, my only complaint is it does wash out a bit at high mag levels and it is a bit blurry at close range with high mag levels. I bought a Weaver Classic V-16 4-16x40 just to have a frame of reference and while it is nicer I don't think it is five times nicer as was the cost.

I have been tempted to try out the CenterPoint 3-9x40 due to the very good performance I have gotten from the first CenterPoint I have.

If you want to use the iron sights as well mounts like these work well. Weaver 1 Steel Lock See-Thru Ring Mounts Ruger 10/22 Matte I have some like it on my 10/22 but rarely use the irons.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Shoot To Thrill, I would second the idea of getting rings that allow you to see the sights. That is the most common way to do that. As far as cheap scopes that are pretty decent (but have terrible rings, so you have to get some other ones anyway), I would look at this one: Simmons 22 Mag Rimfire. Midway often sales if for $37 or so. (When on sale, that is.)

I had a cheaper scope on my Savage Mk II, but my son couldn't see a rabbit through it at sundown, so I searched around and found this one. It has a little higher rating over on the Cabela's website. It lets a lot of light in, and for the price, I'm not sure you can beat it. (If you can, I would like to know about it! I would like to get another one.) The main thing with this Simmons scope is the rings/mounts. They are terrible. They are completely out of alignment. I fixed mine by filing the part that clamps to the dovetail until it was aligned. Then I sighted it in, and it has worked great.

So, if you were to get those see-through ring/mounts, you'll be set.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a BSA 2-7 on my 10/22.
It is fine for a .22 for bunny/squirrel hunting. Shooting at the range out to 100 yds. The optics aren't great but for around $40.00 ( I think with rings...but see-through rings) it works just fine and holds zero. I had a Tasco on it before and that thing would drift zero every time I shot.
Darrell

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Having uses the cheap stuff, the old "you get what you pay for" holds true. Mueller is a minimum for me. Wouldn't take the gift of a BSA. Tasco is not much better and current Simmons stuff is certainly not what it once was.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nikon's pro staff series is not bad. They are a little over a Buck, but pretty decent. I still love them old tascos

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Leupold put out scopes for all budgets.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have seen a lot of good reviews of the CenterPoint scopes from Walmart. I have one of the 4-16x40's on a .223 and it has held zero well so far, my only complaint is it does wash out a bit at high mag levels and it is a bit blurry at close range with high mag levels. I bought a Weaver Classic V-16 4-16x40 just to have a frame of reference and while it is nicer I don't think it is five times nicer as was the cost.

I have been tempted to try out the CenterPoint 3-9x40 due to the very good performance I have gotten from the first CenterPoint I have.

If you want to use the iron sights as well mounts like these work well. Weaver 1 Steel Lock See-Thru Ring Mounts Ruger 10/22 Matte I have some like it on my 10/22 but rarely use the irons.
Knock on wood but I'm having good luck with the C-P 2x-7x on a S&W 15-22, had it on there for a few months & have no complaints so far. I know it's a $70 piece but for a .22 it's working out allright

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Stay away from Barska. Cheap Chinese junk. I learned that the hard way. When your scope breaks (and it will), nobody at Barska will respond to your questions about it.

Since the premature death of my Barska, I've been looking around for something to replace it on my SR556. There is a lot of stuff available for a wide variety of prices. Most of them at far more than I want to spend.

One scope keeps coming up with good reviews on web searches: Nikon 8496 P223 (3X32).
About $150 or so. For the type of shooting I do with my AR (out to 200 yds), this scope would work quite well. I haven't bought one yet, and I'd be interested in hearing from anybody who already has one. All the reviews look pretty good.

Unlike Barska, the Nikon is guaranteed for life.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The best "cheap" scopes for me are the ones that came free with my Ruger 10/22 and Remington Model 770. :D

·
Registered
965 Posts
Centerpoint sounds like what would fit your budget. They sometimes come with rings. I bought a Centerpoint 3X9X40 with illuminated green or red Mil Dot reticle for $49.99 which I put on my 10/22. I doesn't come close to my Nikon or Leupold scope's clarity but for $50 it is pretty good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts