Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I deal with brownells a lot. They have 500 rounds winchester 180 gr fmj for 179.99. Now Walmart well my local Walmart has federal 180 gr fmj for 27.99 for 100 rounds but the only downside is they only have one box left or sold out every time I'm there!

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I shop around allot and use Lucky Gunner (luckygunner.com) for most of my on-line purchases. All their inventory is in real time so no e-mails after the purchase saying they're out of stock. Good prices and reasonable shipping. I've found that for target ammo Walmart ususally wins IF they have it.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I deal with brownells a lot. They have 500 rounds winchester 180 gr fmj for 179.99. Now Walmart well my local Walmart has federal 180 gr fmj for 27.99 for 100 rounds but the only downside is they only have one box left or sold out every time I'm there!

Any suggestions?
That's really not that great of a price. It works out to $17.99 per box of 50. I buy most of my ammo from Palmetto State Armory (PSA) (Ammunition, Magazines, Rifle Parts, Bulk Ammo and Rifle Accessories - Palmetto State Armory) and have found that they usually have some of the best prices available. Cheaper than dirt also has some pretty good sales once in a while.

Whenever you buy online, figure in the shipping to the price and if you have to pay sales tax or not. That's the only way to figure out the true price you're paying. Most good online ammo supply places have shipping estimators. PSA and cheaperthandirt.com both have them. Another little gotcha on cheaper than dirt is that they have 3 warehouses, A, B and C. Shipping is different depending on which warehouse you buy from. The warehouse letter is always displayed by the price in red. If you get on the news letters of good ammo supply places, you can keep track of their sales. PSA often has a free shipping sale. When those happen, it's time to stock up! :D

·
Registered
334 Posts

Any suggestions?
I swear that's all they get in. In the Walmart near me they sometimes get 1 box of federal, like you said, for 27.99.
I like SGAmmo for ammo.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I swear that's all they get in. In the Walmart near me they sometimes get 1 box of federal, like you said, for 27.99.
I like SGAmmo for ammo.
I've never seen .40 in the Walmarts I've gone to. I'd love to find that box of 100 for $27.99!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Try reloading... Big savings on the pricier calibers...
You will have to reload thousands of rounds to see a return. I have been reloading since 1994 and I doubt I have ever saved any money because I am always buying more stuff. I look at reloading as a way to build a better cartridge and a fun pastime.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts