Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The .44spl is one of the most over looked rounds for self defense. I got one and I wouldn't take double the money for it.

Best,Baldy.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I will find one some day. .44 Special has been one of my favorites for a lon time. Shot a lot of Special out of my .44 magnums. Still do.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
56 Posts
Don't know about this. I prefer the .45acp in a revovler over the .44 spl. If you are stuc with factory ammo, there is a much bigger selection available. Plus, moon clips are easier and faster for me than speed? loaders.

·
Registered
132 Posts
That which you can shoot competently and confidently would be your best self defense ammo. For some people that might be a .22 magnum.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The caliber I have with me when the need arises!

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
I have to agree on the .44 Special - now if you could just find a quality one without spending an arm and a leg.....

·
Registered
758 Posts
I looked at the title of this thread and before I even opened it, I thought:

Hummmm......they must be talking about the .44 special.

·
Banned
723 Posts
Either 44 SPL or 45 ACP would work.

I carry a 45 ACP Revolver because I like a "full size" gun and have faster reloads than with a Speedloader. Also, ammunition is easier to find for the 45 ACP, and I would be too "picky"" about what I put in my 44 SPL for SD purposes, but I'm "picky" about all my ammo, it's just easier to find 45 ACP.

BTW, this is my first post. Some of you may know me from other Forums. I carry a Revolver or two daily when I'm Off-Duty and I'm looking at getting a 3" GP100. [8D]

Biker

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Both calibers are great and I'd like a .45 and a pocket full of half moon clips...about a 2" or 3" barrel-rounded butt and bobbed hammer...but I haven't spotted a used one in good shape and the new ones are priced rather proudly...I hope to stumble on a widder lady who'll trade her poor departed husband's gun for some plumbing.......what model do you use and what're your other revolvers????
Never mind-went and read your profile...answered my own questions-what do you carry on duty-issue or personal-what unit do you work for? Welcome to the forum!

·
Banned
723 Posts
ON-Duty I carry the "bottomfeeder" they issue me. No personally owned weapons allowed On-Duty.

Off-Duty I carry a S&W Thunder Ranch Revolver and a S&W 442, with a reload for each, cell phone, cred wallet, personal wallet, knife and surefire flashlight.

I'm in the desert southwest and don't have a problem hiding all that with Cargo Shorts/Pants and a T-Shirt. The secret is in using a good Holster/Belt combo. I am considering the Ruger GP100 for an EDC so that I can have ammo commonality between the BUG and Primary. If I go the GP100 route I will probably carry two 442's and eliminate the reloads.

I've been in two "Armed Encounters", one prior to my LEO Status. I shoot left and right handed with handguns and long arms are shot left handed.

As for personal calibers carried, I have my choice right now between 9mm "bottomfeeders", 45 ACP Revolvers, more than one, .357 Magnum, 38 Special, and 45 Colt. As you probably guessed, I like Revolvers for self defensive purposes. :)

Biker

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You dress quite well off duty...lots of forethought...many say they "can't" hide this or that...I work every day in jeans and T-shirt with a M65 3" or P90 and a Bodyguard or Rossi 5-shot for my backup...3 extra clips and/or 4 speed strips and 2 speed loaders-no problem at all-it's about commitment and weighing glad I had against wish I'd had if it hits the fan.....also carry a 3" fixed blade "work" knife....my minor inconvenience is better than a bad case of ohsh**....and gotta belly to deal with...I laugh at these young, slim guys who say "I can't".....

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Morsecode has it correct. The gun you can hit best with is the one to carry. Speed's fine Accuracy is final! If you can't hit your target you won't win. Frank

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's true...always true...but it's no FUN...when a .44 goes off, (or whatever your favorite might be) it's enjoyable...like your own favorite flavor of ice cream...I've said before that if I had just a .22 LR and a 4" bbl, I'd feel fine...but that .44 is so much more FUN...

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

You dress quite well off duty...lots of forethought...many say they "can't" hide this or that...I work every day in jeans and T-shirt with a M65 3" or P90 and a Bodyguard or Rossi 5-shot for my backup...3 extra clips and/or 4 speed strips and 2 speed loaders-no problem at all-it's about commitment and weighing glad I had against wish I'd had if it hits the fan.....also carry a 3" fixed blade "work" knife....my minor inconvenience is better than a bad case of ohsh**....and gotta belly to deal with...I laugh at these young, slim guys who say "I can't".....
Sheepdog, you're right. I have carried full size handguns for years and never had any problem with concealment. I feel a lot safer with a handgun that I know I can hit what I shoot at, than one that I might hit it if I am lucky. I have never been one to be lucky. :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
"Theirs A New Frontline Self Defense Gun To Consider"
Tell Me at the end of this Clip, that the First Shot doesn't Lead to Total Incapacitation...!!! The other 4 shots are for Good Measure... Because Dead Men Tell No Tales...!!!...<:))
http://tinyurl.com/ypms4e

Personal Note: After taking My Judge to the range and shooting #4 Shot... I can say that 4's are devastating at a close range BLAST...!!! Just like in the Clip...

Good Target Pattern Report on different Loads...
http://tinyurl.com/2s27rs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.