Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner here.

Is the AR-556 a small-pin?

What's the trigger options other than the Timney 4 pound?

I really don't want a 2-stage.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
For the money, ALG ACT is the best (IMHO) single stage trigger out there. All the goodness of milspec reliability, none of the grit or takeup. The advertised pull weight is 4.5 Lbs but they typically break between 4 and 5 pounds, though some have been reported to be slightly heavier or lighter. The kit also comes with a heavier hammer spring that ups the pull weight to 6Lbs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Velocity Drop in trigger with a 3# clean break, fantastic trigger and a "no brainer" install. No creep at all.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
For the money, the best trigger is a $12 set of JP yellow springs and a 38cent set screw, plus an hour of elbow grease to polish the sear surfaces. With a proper fit, a smith can tune a milspec trigger with a spring kit and set screw to have a 3.5-4.5lb pull with nearly imperceptible travel and reset.

Moving up to the $100 range, the JP trigger with the spring kit corrects the positive sear angle, taking a LOT of extra trigger weight away which is caused by the hammer spring in a mil-spec trigger.

The Ruger 452 is a decent trigger for what it is, and seems to be a dominating force in its price class.

The Timney AR triggers have seemed over-rated to me. They might rule the roost for Ruger M77 triggers, but I'm not impressed by their AR triggers.

For $280, the AR-Gold trigger is a fantastic feeling trigger, and they're not kidding about the short reset - it's incredibly noticeable.

Most of my high dollar triggers are Two-stage, but I have a couple Geiselle single stages which were worth every penny paid. Rock River, Bushmaster, and Geiselle 2 stagers are my bread and butter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Howdy,
I was looking for a good trigger and tried 3 or 4 different ones..
My last, best, no more looking trigger is the AR gold...
Another one is the Hiperfire Competition model...
It's fully adjustable with different spring combinations..
I let it go with a rifle I sold... It does have a lot of parts,
but I really liked it...

Paul

·
Registered
75 Posts
New owner here.

Howdy :)

Yes, the Ruger AR 5.56 has .154" pins

I installed a Ruger Elite 452 in my AR 5.56. I like it. The original trigger weight was super heavy! The 452 cut the trigger pull in half.

The Ruger Elite worked well for me.

Good Luck

·
Registered
17,075 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not the same gun but. I just installed some JP yellow springs and a set screw to take up the creep in my S&W M&P 15/22. I have a cheap $20 trigger pull gauge. I started with a 4lb trigger pull. after the putting in the JP yellow springs I'm down to 3lbs. I'd try the JP yellow springs first, they are only $15. If you still don't like the trigger, well you only lost $15. Then get yourself a drop in trigger. Just my .02.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
A set of stones, springs and some time and you can do your own trigger job. I also use Rock River triggers in some of my guns, I can't see paying $250 or more for a trigger unless your a long range precision shooter.

There are plenty of videos out there showing how to improve the trigger you have.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
New owner here.

OP,

First answer is yes the Ruger SR-556 and AR-556 are the same lower and it is small pin.

Second answer is there are many good one stage triggers out there. I think most have given you their opinions on them so adding my opinion probably won't help much. I recommend if you are a member of a club, ask others what they use. They may even let you shoot the gun or at least dry fire it. It would be the best way for you to find out what you like.

I've never been one to blame my trigger for my score, even on the small bore rifle team in high school and college. I've always adapted to my trigger and went from there. There are triggers I really like and those most of the time require less effort to be consistent with them.:cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have narrowed it down to the Geissele G2S and the Ruger Elite 452. Both have great reviews and I like the price range. My AR is primarily for home defense, but I also like to have fun at the range. I would love to hear some feedback/preferences in reference to the two triggers that I mentioned.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Both the triggers you mention are good triggers. A home defense and basic range fun gun doesn't need either of them.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts