Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3" .44 spl GP100 that I'm wanting to have some custom work done on (action job, etc.). Who are some reputable gunsmiths that do good work without charging a fortune and taking forever?

I know about Reeder, Gemini, Clark, etc. just looking for some other options that I might not know about.

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
Have you researched thru your LGS to see what they have to offer or who they recommend?

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Tuning the action on a GP100 should be gunsmith 101 for any competent local gunsmith. I'm referring to actual gunsmiths, not the guys that you find working part time at a gun shop and can mount a scope, change sights or grips or can assemble an AR parts kit and call themselves a gunsmith. As was already noted if you ask around your area there should be someone who can do a basic action job on a GP100 without sending it off to the big names in custom gun work. There are even tutorials and discussions about it as a DIY project. It's not difficult work for those so inclined.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Jack Huntington (JRH Advanced Gunsmithing).

World class work and great turn around time.

jrhadvancedgunsmithing.com

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Greg Copeland, Copeland Custom Pistolsmithing, Arkansas City, KS. He reworked a S&W 625 Jerry Mucilek revolver for me. He did an action job, replaced rear sight and made a custom front sight, bobbed the hammer slightly, slightly beveled the chambers for smoother reloads, polished and reshaped the trigger face and custom fit grips to my hand. It is like a whole new revolver. He does excellent work. Turn around is pretty quick, price is reasonable and he takes pride in his work.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I sent Dave Clements my GP .44 SP and he turned it around in about a month for $250. The price seems high at first but includes: Action job with spring kit- SA pull 2.5# crisp and creep free, 8# smooth DA pull, polish or recut forcing cone and crown, chamfer chambers for easier reloading.

If going local one does save shipping costs. However, I would like to see specimens of the work as have been burned in the past. Years ago I had an action job done by a local gunsmith which was ok but not great. When I disassembled the gun to lube I was looking at the work and many surfaces were not even which should have been. Also, "action job" can be just a spring change to extensive internal work depending upon who is doing it. On another revolver project I went the local route. What should have been a couple of months to 6 month job to get done now is somewhat over a year and trying to get the thing done is getting vexing. I would have been better off going the "known route" and being out the gun 6 months to a year
and getting it back.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Some other "known" gumsmiths I can think of that work on Rugers are:

Magnaport Mag-na-port International--Porting Pricelist & Miscellaneous Services

Action Works The Action Works Home Page

Cylinder & Slide Home - Cylinder & Slide - Handguns parts and accessories

Ten Ring https://tenring.com

Pinnacle Home - Pinnacle High PerformancePinnacle High Performance | Custom revolvers, revolver gunsmith

Nelson Ford The Gunsmith, Inc.: Price List

I would contact them with what you want done and how long it will take. Some take a while and others offer a relatively quick turnaround. I am always suspicious if the turnaround is really short as to the quality of work and what is done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Six vs 100 Question

This isn’t a reply to anyone but a question. How do the lock works of the Security Six compare with the GP 100. The Security Six is simple and somewhat fool proof.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts