Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a gunsmith that really knows sp101's for trigger work. I have heard of Gemini customs and mossy creek are they among the top smiths?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I am looking for a gunsmith that really knows sp101's for trigger work. I have heard of Gemini customs and mossy creek are they among the top smiths?
The simplicity of the Ruger DA triggers is such that any licensed and certified smith would likely qualify as "great". Half the hobby gunsmiths on the Ruger forum would qualify as SP101 trigger experts. It doesn't take much beyond a few simple tools and a bit of common sense.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I am looking for a gunsmith that really knows sp101's for trigger work.
What are you wanting to do with the trigger on your SP101? Replace springs? Smooth out the action just a bit? Polish or sand parts a little bit?

You can do most of these things yourself...if you really want to! It'd take a bit of courage and a few parts. Wolff Springs are excellent (I recommend the 10# set) and some fine to very-fine grit paper and polishing cloth! I'd practice disassembly and reassembly a few times prior to application. Go really E.A.S.Y. on the sanding...just smooth it down a bit, no need to take it 'down'...and be sure to polish everything well when you're finished!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just ordered some white ceramic gunsmith stones from brownells. They are extra fine grit, will this be all I need to smooth the trigger out or do I need sandpaper also?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
As noted any decent gunsmith should be able to do work on an SP but a number look down their noses at them vs. S&W. I don't know if one can say they are
the "best" but there are:

Gemini Customs
Actions by T (Teddy Jacobson)
The Action Works in AZ
Magnaport
Grant Cunningham

that come readily to mind.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I just ordered some white ceramic gunsmith stones from brownells. They are extra fine grit, will this be all I need to smooth the trigger out or do I need sandpaper also?
Pick up a sheet of 400 wet/dry paper in case you find a surface where the stone is awkward. Paper is cheeeep! Follow instructions, go slow, test your work and you too will be another SP101 triggersmith!

·
Registered
5,650 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a great link, is there any parts I should stay away from when doing trigger assembly.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
That's a great link, is there any parts I should stay away from when doing trigger assembly.
I would stick with Wolff Springs...and that's about the only change from factory original that I would do!

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Should I use the #12 main spring for self defense?
I would suggest you try several different combinations...and see which one you like best! I prefer the 10# straight across the board...the 9# seems a bit light on the hammer strike! To each his own...plus, you'll have the experience of tearing it down and putting it back together again...several times! By the time you're finished, you'll be a master of the SP101 trigger!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts