Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hopefully getting a mini 14 soon and i was wondering does anyone have any thoughts on which brand has the best 20 rd mags?

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
20 round? Ruger.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Ruger's mags are by far the most reliable in the Mini. Apparently there are some cheaper aftermarket ones, but they tend to be hit-or-miss and for the money, I think the Ruger mags (about $30 a pop) are well worth it. I recently purchased a Mini 14 Tactical (standard stock, now in a Hogue stock) from CDNN for $599. It came with one 20-round mag and a 5-round mag, and I bought another 20-round at the time of ordering. All total, it came out to like $650 with shipping. I think their extra mags were $29.99 and then I paid $19 for shipping on top of all of it. Not a bad way to get into a Mini and the Tactical with the 20-round mag was cheaper than the Walmart special Ranch Rifle with the 5-Rounder.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Ruger. After spending all that money on a rifle, cheaping out on a magazine never made sense to me.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
I speak from first-hand experience: Ruger. Some aftermarket mags for the Mini work okay, others don't. All are a gamble. But every Ruger factory mag I ever put in my Mini-14 ALWAYS works, hands down.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
I had Ruger replace one 20 rd mag. factory mag as it would fail to feed. I've bought 4 30 rd Tapco gen II and all 4 are flawless. I bought some Pro Mags and they're somewhat junk. But a little Dremel work and they're fine. I'll buy more Tapco's Gen IIs without hesitation. The Pro Mags? not so much. But the 20 rounders will be Ruger or nothin from now on.jmho

·
Registered
556 Posts
I only have one of the Tapco 30rd g2's but it works as well as my Ruger 30rd.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I am also going to say the same thing. Stay with the factory Ruger Mags no matter if it's 5,10,20,or 30 round mags. Also CNNN is really a good place to buy your mags from. They are cheaper then buying new mags from Ruger!

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Only thing that bothers me is the fact that Ruger apparently doesn't offer their factory Mini-14/Mini-30 mags in stainless...or if they do, I can't find them.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Last week I took a chance on some non-Ruger Mini-14 mags from CDNN. I've seen mixed feedback on them both here and on the Perfect Uinon forum, but couldn't resist. I bought two of the straight (M-14 style) 20-rounders (Ruger Mini-14 .223 20rd Premium Blue Mag New Replacement) for $13 ea. and one 30-rounder (Ruger Mini-14 .223 30rd Blue Mag New) for $15.

Tried all of them out over the weekend in both my 185-series and my 582-series Tactical. They fit in both rifles - both with bolt opened and closed - perfectly. All cycled flawlessly when firing. Had a tiny bit of trouble loading the 30-rounder at first, but got through it.

Ruger factory mags are the best, but I'm happy I got these! Good quality, great price.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Stick with Ruger for all capacities. They are flawless. Why look further?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts