Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, now that my 22/45 is in working order, I am looking (down the road, long term lol... tax refund time maybe?) to eventually acquire (through absolute lawful means of course) a non-integral suppressor for use on threaded barrel, following the regular standard legal procedures and what not. I am not interested in the procedures, mainly because I have already researched that and found a local class 3 distributor and manufacturer.

What I am interested in is what brands people have used and tried out, and what people prefer? Has anyone here tried out a non-integral suppressor that works good on the 22/45 or Ruger Mark line?

Regards

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Used my Silencerco Sparrow on both a steel & a Lite 22/45, results were good.

On the steel pistol we got an average reduction of 36 DB across several loads in their lab.

It does not markedly affect accuracy, and while there may be slightly quieter cans on the market, the Sparrow breaks down very easily for cleaning, which is a strong point for me.
Denis

·
Registered
133 Posts
"best" can be defined many ways.

The Gemtech Outback is small and quiet. Some might call it the best.

One of the quietest is the AAC Prodigy monocore.

For a .22 can, "best" should include the ability to take apart and clean. .22 is a nasty dirty round and will fill up a can with soot and congealed lead.

The silencerco Sparrow is not the quietest, and certainly not the loudest by far. Any monocore is going to have some "first round pop".
But it "cleans up good", and the tube (the main part that CAN NOT be legally replaced) is protected from buildup and scraping and such.

If I were buying a .22 can, I would go with the Sparrow.

Avoid aluminum for a .22 can if possible.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a Huntertown Arms Guardian on order. It is aluminum, aircraft grade, and my dealer tells me so long as it is kept clean it works very well. Jacketed ammo is cleaner than LRN, take it apart every 1000 rounds. It's 6" long, weighs 4oz., and supports .17 through 22WMR. This is my first foray into suppressors so I was cost conscious. I plan on using it on a 22/45 and maybe eventually a 10/22. (anybody got a threaded barrel they want to sell?:))

I was also told that barrel length affects the sound attenuation, 3.5" being best because the bullet doesn't have a chance to go supersonic before encountering the suppressor. I may be saying something inaccurate here, I'm not up on the technology, this is what I recall hearing.

I've been waiting a month so far for the device to come in, then the wait starts for the tax stamp, so I expect I'll be able to post a range report around May Day!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah man, sorry to hear that bwinters! One of my good friends is from New Jersey... I have heard about the laws there.

For the other guys, thanks for the info... that at least points me in a good direction to start doing some more research. I have heard about Gemtech and Silencerco, but not the AAC or Huntertowns. I will definitely have to go check them all out and compare.

And yes preferably I would want one that is cleanable. I have no idea what I'm getting myself into and would love all the feedback anyone has to offer! :)

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
All loads fired through the two .22/45s were subsonic, including a Winchester hyper-vel. Both were 4.5" barrels at roughly 4500 feet.
Denis

1 - 8 of 8 Posts