Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a 1954 Izzy SKS. The person I bought it from also had a few boxes of Russian surplus and some expensive Lapua ammo. I'm wanting to try several brands, but most of what I can get locally is Wolf, Herters, or Tula. Where is the best place to buy this size ammo online?

·
Banned
181 Posts
Honestly, hunting around would be your best bet, shopping at just one place does not always give you the most options or even the cheapest price on any particular caliber or brand of ammo. Some sights may offer the ammo you're looking for but be out of stock for example as well.

What I do is figure out what brand(s) I like, and then just do a simple google search and check every sight I can to find the best pric(s) and quantities I want, provided I cannot get it all or for a decent price locally.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Try ammoman.com free shipping from NJ.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Like Revoliver says shop around I've bought ammo from Sportmans Guide,Cheaper Than Dirt , Midway, J&G sales to name some.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have an SKS as well, and the other thing to consider is what you want to use the ammo for.. Any of the bulk old surplus ammo that you will find cheap will likely be full metal jacket, with a mild steel core.. useless for hunting (and likely illigal in most places) as well as indoor ranges dont allow it (has a tendancy to punch though the backstops). The surplus bulk are good for plinking on an outdoor range basically..

For mine, I just go to my local cabelas and get a crate of 1320 rnds of romanian surplus for $250'ish, but again, its steel core...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Ammoman or SGAmmo.com. Seriously, don't waste your time anywhere else.

SGAmmo generally has ammoman beat, but ammoman often has slightly better stock.

don't waste your time at midway or CTD.

Also, WalMart has tulammo 20 round packs at $4.97. that's slightly worse than ammoman or SG, but beats the pants off anyone else.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Another vote for SGammo, I like the Golden Tiger repacked into a .50cal can. They are currently out of the cans but you can get the GT. I just recieved 2 cans of 9mm Agulia today, looked good.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just picked up some from Cabelas at $4.19 a box of 20 and since i used my Cabelas cc I got free shipping. I've picked it up from them before and with free shipping its a pretty good deal.

I just purchased a 1954 Izzy SKS. The person I bought it from also had a few boxes of Russian surplus and some expensive Lapua ammo. I'm wanting to try several brands, but most of what I can get locally is Wolf, Herters, or Tula. Where is the best place to but the size ammo online?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just ordered from SGAmmo 500 round half case - 7.62x39 FMJ BT Golden Tiger 124 grain ammo. This is supposed to be a step above the bear products, and a lot better than the Wolf and TulAmmo stuff. Not a bad price either at $114.00.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
I've been looking also since I just got an AK.WM like said has the Tul Ammo for $4.97 box Academy has they're brand for $4.99 a box and they sell a 640 round can for $179. Some of the online stuff is a little cheaper but you have to figure in shipping...

·
Registered
815 Posts
And you factor in no tax online. SG is still cheaper than WM with paying shipping (assuming you're buying in sufficient bulk)

I've been looking also since I just got an AK.WM like said has the Tul Ammo for $4.97 box Academy has they're brand for $4.99 a box and they sell a 640 round can for $179. Some of the online stuff is a little cheaper but you have to figure in shipping...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And you factor in no tax online. SG is still cheaper than WM with paying shipping
Plus the fact that I cannot get much 7.62 x 39 ammo anywhere near here. All I have found is Tul Ammo, and I my SKS does not really like it much.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Holy crap. I just went to check my order and they are already out of stock. When I ordered they had 20 cases. Luckily my order will ship later this week. I tell ya good ammo is really getting scarce. I haven't seen the 550 pack of Federal 22lr at any of the local Walmart stores for the last two months.

·
Registered
294 Posts
S&G will be getting more Tula in soon. I had first dibbs on it and passed. They had second dibbs and was going to buy all that was available.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts