Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So making the move to purchase a firearm to be used around our home, mostly for rodent patrol and/or protection. I grew up with .22, .410, .20g, and .12g on our farm in MI.

The question is: best all-around utility gun?
And: best place to purchase? Dealers, shows, private sales?

I appreciate your thoughts and input.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
10/22 and a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 pump should be the ticket.

Walmart has good prices.

Check local shops.

Armslist often has deals.

·
Banned
551 Posts
I have seen numerous posts on this forum about fabulous buys from private owners who, for whatever reason, did not understand the value of the weapon they were selling. Pretty hit or miss but it has got me rethinking my policy of never looking in at a yard sale.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
I think I probably lean more toward the heavy duty side. Kimber .45 with a laser in my nightstand with an 870 in the corner. Like many other things it just boils down to your own taste and what you feel most comfortable with.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I'd say a 12 gauge is a good all around gun. I would check local gun shows and compare with new guns. If they are priced close I'd go with a new one.

A nice GP100 would be a great handgun for utility. It can shoot mild 38s for rodent patrol and then blaze with full power 357s for bigger trouble.

Good luck making a choice!

·
Registered
252 Posts
10/22 and a 12 gage will cover most things mentioned.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Run yourself down to your local Pawn and find a 10/22 or a Marlin 60 and get some time in shooting things. Once you are comfortable, go find a nice 9mm or 45 handgun and a 12 gauge shotgun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for your input. Looks like the 22/10 was a definite and the 12 gauge I have will fit the bill.........for now

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,406 Posts
Thank you all for your input. Looks like the 22/10 was a definite and the 12 gauge I have will fit the bill.........for now
For now, yep! I like your attitude :)

·
Banned
551 Posts
Run yourself down to your local Pawn and find a 10/22 or a Marlin 60 and get some time in shooting things. Once you are comfortable, go find a nice 9mm or 45 handgun and a 12 gauge shotgun.
For some reason I don't even begin to understand our local pawnshops don't have any guns. The only one I ever found was some POS saturday night special that they would have had to pay me to carry out to the trash.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Next comes the revolver and semi auto.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Rodent patrol and home protection don't have much overlap.

What are the laws regarding discharging of firearms where you live? You might be limited to an air rifle for rodent patrol. If not, a scoped .22 rifle would be my choice

As for home defense, a handgun in the traditional defense rounds (.38 Spl., 9mm Parabellum, .357 Magnum,, .40S&W, .45ACP et al.) are good choices, as are 12 gauge shotguns, pistol-caliber carbines, and compact rifles (5.56mm, .30-30, etc.).

Private sales are my preference, with as little record keeping as possible.

mbogo

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mbogo, I agree about the private sales. I'm not so crazy about Big Brother sticking it's nose into all my business. I'm sure this forum/thread is monitored as it is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts