Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been loading 32 S&W long with 100 grain cast bullets. I also load a 45 ACP for bullseye match shooting. I would like to get another 32 revolver and was looking at a 327 Fed Mag (SP101). The pre model 30 S&W I have is too small in the hand but is a very nice gun and fun to shoot. I have several match grade automatics but a revolver is a nice diversion. I would still like to load cast bullets in the 100-115 grain range (preferably 100 gain since i have a lot of these on hand) but I like the idea of the 327 being able to used jacked bullets with a lot more punch than the 32 S&W long is also appealing. 99% of the time I would, however, use cast bullets. Right know I use Bullseye powder to load the 32 S&W long and 45 with light target loads. Bullseye doesn’t seem to be an appropriate powder for the 327. I like to keep the number of powders and equipment on hand to a minimum. I would like an all-around powder that would be good for cast bullets and on occasion be able to load jacked bullets as well. I’m not sure such an all-around powder exits, but the primary focus would be cast bullets.

In the past it was easy to find load data. I found several sources on the internet for the 327 but it is all somewhat confused. Many of the loads are geared to jacked bullets and the speeds seem too fast for cast bullets. Even the cast bullet loads seem fast. It looks like 2400, AA # 9 or W-231 might be OK but not sure. Also the kind of primers to use is also all over the place from small pistol (regular and magnum) to small rifle. Any enlightenment and recommended loads would be appreciated.

I like the idea of a 32 but sometimes I wonder if getting a 357 would be easier :).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have not yet worked with the 327 federal magnum , but I have reloaded the 32 h&r magnum a fair amount , which of course you can shoot in your 327's . My single six bisley I've had for 25 years loves 4 grains of unique with a 100 grain lead bullet , either cast or swaged . My " vaquero style " single six in 32 mag likes that load also as well as maximum load of titegroup .
I like the idea of a 327 federal magnum because of its versatility . You can shoot the 327 , 32 h&r magnum, 32 s&w long , 32 s&w , and I read once even the 32acp ?
However , with my 32 h&r magnums that's all I've shot , ( 32 h&r magnum ) , and have been satisfied .
Would a 357magnum be easier ? Maybe , but you would be happy with the 327 federal magnum I think . I would acquire both when I could and never look back ,good luck .

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I have been loading 32 S&W long with 100 grain cast bullets. I also load a 45 ACP for bullseye match shooting. I would like to get another 32 revolver and was looking at a 327 Fed Mag (SP101). The pre model 30 S&W I have is too small in the hand but is a very nice gun and fun to shoot. I have several match grade automatics but a revolver is a nice diversion. I would still like to load cast bullets in the 100-115 grain range (preferably 100 gain since i have a lot of these on hand) but I like the idea of the 327 being able to used jacked bullets with a lot more punch than the 32 S&W long is also appealing. 99% of the time I would, however, use cast bullets. Right know I use Bullseye powder to load the 32 S&W long and 45 with light target loads. Bullseye doesn’t seem to be an appropriate powder for the 327. I like to keep the number of powders and equipment on hand to a minimum. I would like an all-around powder that would be good for cast bullets and on occasion be able to load jacked bullets as well. I’m not sure such an all-around powder exits, but the primary focus would be cast bullets.

In the past it was easy to find load data. I found several sources on the internet for the 327 but it is all somewhat confused. Many of the loads are geared to jacked bullets and the speeds seem too fast for cast bullets. Even the cast bullet loads seem fast. It looks like 2400, AA # 9 or W-231 might be OK but not sure. Also the kind of primers to use is also all over the place from small pistol (regular and magnum) to small rifle. Any enlightenment and recommended loads would be appreciated.

I like the idea of a 32 but sometimes I wonder if getting a 357 would be easier :).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!!
I think as long as the bullets are hard cast, pushed fast, the cast bullets will do fine in your 327. I have been using Penn 95 gr TCFP and 12.0-12.2 grains of AA#9 (max 13.0) with no leading problem in Ruger SP101 or Single Seven.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Be aware that every gun is different!
Just because it works great in my gun does NOT mean it'll work as well in yours.
It might, but then again maybe not.

Having said that, I have a 32 H&R Mag & use Titegroup for mouse fart loads & Lil Gun for full power loads.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Welcome aboard to the internets greatest forum. I'm using 800x, Longshot and Lil'Gun in my H&R Mag. revolvers. I would think they would work well with the 327 as well. Make sure the bullets are cast hard for the 327 as pressures are much greater. Load data for cast bullets is fairly abundant. First choice would be Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. Good luck and Happy Shootin'!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Welcome aboard to the internets greatest forum. I'm using 800x, Longshot and Lil'Gun in my H&R Mag. revolvers. I would think they would work well with the 327 as well. Make sure the bullets are cast hard for the 327 as pressures are much greater. Load data for cast bullets is fairly abundant. First choice would be Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. Good luck and Happy Shootin'!
Most of it informally developed and more for 32 H&R than 327 Federal Magnum. The majority formally published is for jacketed bullets. The pressure levels of 327 Federal Magnum make it essential that the loads yielding the higher velocities should be from professional, qualified, fully disciplined sources.

Some powders and loads require consideration of gas checks or jacketed bullets.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Lyman Cast Manual has loads for 5 cast bullets from 78 grns to 100 grns with 9 different powders. All loads were tested.The 100 grn bullet is of a RNFP design. Their accuracy load was with AA#5 for the 100 grainer. Be sure and use a Small Rifle primer for the high pressure loads.

I like a 90 - 100 grn cast bullet and Unique for plinking. I shoot it to about 1000fps with no leading in a couple of Single Sevens, a SP101 and a Blackhawk. I have some 115 RNFP that I have pushed to 1200fps with no problems. That will most likely become my go to bullet since I have aquired 2500 of them

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have two 4 3/4" Single Sevens. I have been using 5.5gr Longshot under a 100gr RNFP and STANDARD small pistol primers (per Pearce's article) Badman Bullets - 404-error-page -- the 32-20 versions are sized .314 which seem to work a bit better in my guns. Never chronoed this load, but guess it runs around 1,100 fps +-. It's a delight too shoot.

I've used WST (Win Super Target), HS-6, Power Pistol, AA #7, AA #9, Longshot, VV N110 before settling on the above load. Have used both jacketed and cast. As mentioned above, it will really depend on your individual gun and what level of load you are after.

Brian Pearce wrote an article on the 327 Fed Mag in Handloader No. 294 (Feb 2015) -- lots of load data. Back issues here http://www.riflemagazine.com/backiss...dex.cfm?type=0 scroll to bottom for Feb 2015. One of the better sources for .327 Fed load data.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I have two 4 3/4" Single Sevens. I have been using 5.5gr Longshot under a 100gr RNFP and STANDARD small pistol primers (per Pearce's article) Badman Bullets - 404-error-page -- the 32-20 versions are sized .314 which seem to work a bit better in my guns. Never chronoed this load, but guess it runs around 1,100 fps +-. It's a delight too shoot.

I've used WST (Win Super Target), HS-6, Power Pistol, AA #7, AA #9, Longshot, VV N110 before settling on the above load. Have used both jacketed and cast. As mentioned above, it will really depend on your individual gun and what level of load you are after.

Brian Pearce wrote an article on the 327 Fed Mag in Handloader No. 294 (Feb 2015) -- lots of load data. Back issues here http://www.riflemagazine.com/backiss...dex.cfm?type=0 scroll to bottom for Feb 2015. One of the better sources for .327 Fed load data.
I would note that Brian Pearce (I have the article) would have been unaware of or ignoring Speer's advice to use small rifle primers, implying a concern really only for the higher pressure loadings. Your 1100 fps should be fine without. Mention of "CCI Small Pistol Magnum" can be confusing, because they are reportedly the same primer as small rifle (not magnum).

Speer would know best, since that corporate family developed the cartridge.

·
Registered
72 Posts
In the for what it's worth dept, the following is from the Pearce article refed above:

QUOTE:
In addition to using the expander
ball size of .3085 inch, using a standard
small pistol primer rather
than a magnum is also beneficial.
The powder charges are small
enough that greater primer energy
is not necessary. For example
in compiling the powder charge
weights of all 100-grain bullets
used herein, the average was only
9.6 grains (with some being as low
as 4.0 grains), which again does
not require a great deal of primer
energy to achieve proper ignition.
All accompanying data was fired
using the CCI 500 primers, which

worked flawlessly and often cut
the extreme spread figures approximately
in half when compared
with the same load that was
shot with the CCI 550 or Federal
200. There are probably loads that
prove to be an exception, but I did
not discover them.

Some handloaders may have
concerns when using a standard
small pistol primer that is not designed
for magnum pressures, especially
the 45,000 psi generated

by this cartridge. However, the
CCI 500 is commonly used in a variety
of factory cartridges that
generate up to 40,000 psi and has
also been lab tested at much

greater
pressures. (These
comments apply only to
primers manufactured in
the past 25 years or so.)
Again, no loads pierced primers
or ruptured, even those that were
eliminated from the accompanying
table due to excessive pressure.
END QUOTE:

Be aware that the use of a "Magnum" primer will obviously effect the load data presented in the Pearce article.

Paul

·
Registered
200 Posts
Why not stick with Bullseye, if that is what you have in stock? I use Bullseye for 32 H&R Magnum, with no issues so far. The Alliant Powder web site lists several recipes for Bullseye in 32 H&R Magnum.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Hey guys where can I find the Lyman Cast Manual?? I haven't placed a order yet on bullets been looking at th Rainier 100 grain bullet it's a brass bullet similar to th Berry design. Can be loaded up to 1500 FPS.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hey guys where can I find the Lyman Cast Manual?? I haven't placed a order yet on bullets been looking at th Rainier 100 grain bullet it's a brass bullet similar to th Berry design. Can be loaded up to 1500 FPS.
I just ordered 500 of the Rainier 100 grain plated (this morning, from Midway USA) .... plan to try them with 3.1 grains of Bullseye in 32 H&R Mag to see what happens. If I can still type with all fingers next week you will know it worked out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul105 View Post
In the for what it's worth dept, the following is from the Pearce article refed above:

<snip>
It's still just him versus Speer.

And Alliant's published data uses CCI 500s. Alliant and Speer are both part of Vista Outdoors Inc.

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to provide information.

Paul

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul105 View Post

<snip>
It's still just him versus Speer.

And Alliant's published data uses CCI 500s. Alliant and Speer are both part of Vista Outdoors Inc.

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to provide information.

Paul
Do any of those loads approach 45k psi?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I got mine from MidwayUSA. Any of the Web Suppliers should have it, Midway, MidSouth, Grafs, etc. If you are going to use a lot of cast projectiles I highly recommend it.

It has cast load data only, but has a lot of good information unique to loading cast. If you ever decide to start casting your own it will guide you through the casting process. Has a section on barrel leading, the causes and fixes.

It will teach you the importance of proper throat and groove diameter matching bullet diameter and hardness. You can shoot a lead bullet at magnum pressures if the throat and groove diameter coordinate with the bullet diameter and hardness.

I've shot 44's and 41's cast from straight CoWWs to 1400 fps with no leading.

Enough rambling. Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook (the proper name) is a very good manual to have on hand if loading cast. castboolits.gunloads.com is a good forum with tons of good information also

1 - 20 of 26 Posts