Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had wanted a pistol caliber carbine for some time and came across one yesterday for a bargain. :D I plan to load up a supply of ammo for home defense for the Zombie Apocalypse. ;) It may be somewhat your opinions or hopefully facts you have picked up somewhere. Here is my question:

The barrel length is 16 inches. Will I get more velocity out of this barrel by using a slower powder than the Hercules CFE Pistol or Winchester AutoComp that I normally load under 165 and 180 grain Xtreme Plated bullets? I also use CFE for Hornady 155 grain XTP. I have on hand both Blue Dot and Accurate Arms #7, which are slower powders. I have loaded both of these in 40 cal and 9 mm. I like Blue Dot, but in short barrels it often has unburned powder. :( I should not have that in the 16 inch barrel.

What is your opinion?
Will I get more velocity and energy from the slower powders in the longer barrel?:confused:
Opinions and facts both appreciated.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
try would consider Longshot. I was getting 1300 fps with 135gr Nosler out of my SR40.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I had wanted a pistol caliber carbine for some time and came across one yesterday for a bargain. :D I plan to load up a supply of ammo for home defense for the Zombie Apocalypse. ;) It may be somewhat your opinions or hopefully facts you have picked up somewhere. Here is my question:

The barrel length is 16 inches. Will I get more velocity out of this barrel by using a slower powder than the Hercules CFE Pistol or Winchester AutoComp that I normally load under 165 and 180 grain Xtreme Plated bullets? I also use CFE for Hornady 155 grain XTP. I have on hand both Blue Dot and Accurate Arms #7, which are slower powders. I have loaded both of these in 40 cal and 9 mm. I like Blue Dot, but in short barrels it often has unburned powder. :( I should not have that in the 16 inch barrel.

What is your opinion?
Will I get more velocity and energy from the slower powders in the longer barrel?:confused:
I am wondering about max velocity on plated bullets, while realizing Xtremes are not Berry's.

Power Pistol is my favorite powder for 40, and in Alliant terms it is associated with the newer, less flashy BE-86.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The velocities according to Xteme are 1200 fps for standard plate and 1500 fps for their Heavy Plate and Hollow Points. I have not done very much research on the velocity for standard FMJ factory loads is. I will want to stay under the 1500 fps, I think.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
OP, since your going through all this trouble to develop loads for a carbine, I sincerely hope your not spending this time and energy on a HiPoint :eek:

Even if you are, it's okay. We won't tell. You can trust us ;):D

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
I've also heard longshot is one of the best for getting the most velocity in 40S&W or 10mm. I don't handload for those calibers, but I've tried it in my 9mm Ruger PC9 carbine with 115 grain hornady HAP bullets and I was getting almost 1600 fps.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No it is not a Hi-Point. :D
I guess I will just do a little work on accuracy for 165 and 180 grain bullets with my CFE. It is definitely my favorite for 40.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have on hand both Blue Dot and Accurate Arms #7, which are slower powders. I have loaded both of these in 40 cal and 9 mm. I like Blue Dot, but in short barrels it often has unburned powder. :( I should not have that in the 16 inch barrel.

As you have a supply of Blue Dot, it works real well in carbine loads.
I used BD in loads in a Marlin Camp 9, it was tops for both accuracy and velocity in that application. (I never made a comparison to AA#7, but good in a handgun is usually a sign it's good in a longer barrel as well). The pistol rounds I've played with in carbine barrels, 9mm & .45 ACP really don't pick up a lot of speed like the .357/.44M. Looking at my notes from the past, 75fps to 100fps was pretty much the number. The best gains were with slower powders and heavier bullets. The .45 was less responsive, but I never fed that with BD.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Piedpiper46 - please be aware, what works to perfection in my gun may throw a 10" pattern in yours.
(even if it's the same model)

There could be a million different reasons, but exact barrel composition, brass composition, etc, etc, etc may make for a great range - or poor range experience.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies. I really need to get a chrono, but I fear it would just like another hobby checking various loads. I am already bad enough about working on accuracy through different bullets and powder loads.

Since the original post I have fired almost two boxes of assorted ammo. :) Some of them were factory 165 grain Federal and Winchester. Reloads were Xtreme 165 grain over AutoComp and Xtreme 180 grain over two different loads of CFE Pistol. The SUB-2000 likes the 180 grain much better so far. Everything has functioned perfectly so far. :D I will load up some Blue Dot and already have some AA#9 loaded. I will give them the accuracy and function test before I load up a few boxes to have in case of a Zombie Apocalypse. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
In these days of little or no powder choices , load with whatever you have or can get.
Both AA#7 and Blue Dot are listed along with a dozen other powders, you will be shooting them out of a 16 inch barrel so you will get higher velocities. You will also get the same higher velocities from a load with faster powder. It's not the powder that's going to increase the velocity, it's that 16 inch barrel. As long as accuracy meets with your expectations no reason not to use Blue Dot or AA#7. They might be the best to use in the carbine. Load and test fire.
Gary

1 - 14 of 14 Posts