Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been many years since I've done any reloading and my manuals are from 1988. I am slowly returning to reloading and attempting to resupply my powder stores. What is the best all around powder to reload for .44 ,.41,.357 mag ? Very specifically, I am looking for a cleaner burning powder for my Ruger .44mag carbine. Also would like to use the same powder to reload for my revolvers. My revolvers are 7.5 " and 10 "barrels. What is the best powder for me to purchase ?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Unique is quite universal, but not that clean burning. Pick one buller maker - Hornady it is for me - and find common powder for your calibers.

I have revolvers in 44, .357 and use Unique, H110 and Trail Boss.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I like Universal, I think it is a little cleaner than Unique. I load both of them though depending on price and availability. I use them both in .38, .357, 9mm, .40, .45acp, and .44 mag. I like Hodgdon powders, mostly because of the excellent data they have on their website, much better than Alliants site.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Universal/Unique. Either one will do. Won't get 'max' loads though. That is why normally we speak of maybe three powders 1) light, 2) medium 3) hot . With Unique/universal you are loading medium.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,405 Posts
RugerWheelgun, I highly suggest you buy a current reloading manual. Loads have changed a lot since 1988, especially for the cartridges you intend to load. The Speer #14 manual or the Hornady Eighth Edition manual come highly recommended.

We could use a little more info but with what you posted, here's my recommendations. If you want full velocity magnum loads, H-110 or W-296 (twins) work exceptionally well in all your revolver cartridges and even in your Carbine ... all with a wide range of bullet weights. Load data is plentiful for these two powders in virtually all reloading manuals. Slow burning powders such as W-296 or H-110 are not suitable for reduced velocity loads. Here's where you need a "medium" burn rate powder. Universal, Unique, or Power Pistol are all very good however, most reloading manuals don't list many loads for these powders ... I guess they assume if you have a magnum cartridge, you want magnum velocities.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
titegroup works well and is pretty cheap... Of course that was when it was available.
+1 to TiteGroup. I was in my re-loading shop today weaseling my way into 100 small pistol primers & heard a conversation about using it in 45Colt & .357 Magnum with excellent results. I use to use Unique, but am now a fan of HP-38 which I started using for .380 & 9mm & the shop owner said it was excellent in his .44 Special & .45 ACP loads(HP-38).

·
Banned
619 Posts
TiteGroup and Bullseye will give very limited performance in .357, .41 and .44 Magnum. I agree with Iowegan concerning H110/W296 for full power loads with the one exception that it has a very narrow load window and Hodgdon doesn't recommend you to load below 3% of maximum. Ramshot Enforcer will give you the same performance and it can be downloaded for a bit more flexibilty.

Unique has been mentioned as an all-around powder. It is on the dirty side but not quite as bad at max. pressure. There is a newer and better choice: Ramshot True Blue is a very dense true ball powder that is probably the best (most uniform) metering powder you can buy. It gives excellent ballistic uniformity in all handgun loads measurable by extreme spread and standard deviation. If you want to load from medium velocity to near full magnum velocity, True Blue is an excellent choice. Many reloaders haven't tried it yet or are not aware of it. Data can be found at: Ramshot as well as the Lyman Pistol & Revolver III and should be listed in the Lyman 49th edition as well. ;)

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
True Blue.... Many reloaders haven't tried it yet or are not aware of it.
Oh, I have been aware of it, but have never seen a bottle of it on the shelf at any store I've been in. I do want to try it sometime.

·
Banned
619 Posts
Oh, I have been aware of it, but have never seen a bottle of it on the shelf at any store I've been in. I do want to try it sometime.
Unfortunately, being newer, it's not as widely distributed. The first time I bought it I got 4# from Graf & Sons. All of the major online distributors have it, but I realize most reloaders don't want to gamble as much as I did and buying less isn't practical. I've been using it since 2001 and have since added Silhouette, ZIP and Enforcer for handgun loads. X-Terminator and TAC for rifle. I think True Blue is the finest all around powder on the market but it seems to be exceptional for .40 S&W and the .45 GAP. It's recommended for handgun rounds from .380 up to the .454 Casull and it's very pressure stable. Hope you get to try some soon. ;)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Suggest 296 for the 44mag & TiteGroup for the others...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for the inputs. I am planning on loading my ammo to the hot side, but do not want to approach max loads. In the distant past I used Unique, when hand loading for .45 ACP. For now, I think I'll try H-110 or W-296 . I may also purchase a small amount of Trueblue and give it a try. I also plan on purchasing an up-to-date loading manual. In addition to the .44,.41,.357. I also have about 450 rounds of .45ACP to reload. My main focus is to work up a consistent performing .44 MAG load to shoot from my Ruger Carbine.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
True Blue ... it's not as widely distributed.
Not only that ... but I went down to the store and they won't even let me 'special order' a can of it. Said no powder to be had 'anywhere'. Grrrr. Used to be able to do this no problem. Just wanted to try it .... not like I am out of powder but ... still ... :rolleyes:

·
Banned
619 Posts
Not only that ... but I went down to the store and they won't even let me 'special order' a can of it. Said no powder to be had 'anywhere'. Grrrr. Used to be able to do this no problem. Just wanted to try it .... not like I am out of powder but ... still ... :rolleyes:
Yeah, we're going through the saddest state of affairs I've seen in 27 years of handloading and 35 years of handgunning! ;)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Unique and BlueDot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts