Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With over 26,000 members here, we are bound to have a great deal of insight and helpful information regarding shooting techniques and exercises. This thread is designed to be a place were RF.Net members can ask questions, share and discuss these ideas with other members. I've moved bobski's posts that were contained in the contest section to get the ball rolling
Good Shooting To All
BuckJM53

for all of you that want to improve your scores for the online matches, this is the thread to ask the questions on how to. i posted some pics to encourage you and that i will share whatever knowledge i have to make you the best.
tell ya what, i wont shoot but if anyone wants pointers, just ask. id love to pull the best out of all of you....and see it transfer to one hole. just ask.

25yds iron sights, timed fire practice. 5 shots 2 strings 20 seconds. on a good day. (4-10x's)

typical 25yd rapid fire, 5 shots 2 strings, 10 seconds...in my day.

· Former Hoadpiler
32,417 Posts
i'd love to but...
well.....be honest,
i wouldnt want to take the badge away from someone who is really trying.
i'd rather give it to someone who is more deserving.

my horn tooting days are done.
and im just being fair and honest about it.

seriously, thanks for the invite buck, and have a great shoot. i look forward to the results.
If I ever turn in a score of 50 with five X's you'll know I cheated. :D

· Banned
4,290 Posts
bobski, Dude! I'm seriously impressed. That bottom target shows some awesome Bullseye Rapid Fire results.

OK. I want some pointers. But, please PM them to me. I don't want these other guys getting any better. :D :D :D

· Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,360 Posts
With over 26,000 members here, we are bound to have a great deal of insight and helpful information regarding shooting techniques and exercises. This thread is designed to be a place were RF.Net members can ask questions, share and discuss these ideas with other members. I've moved bobski's posts that were contained in the contest section to get the ball rolling.
Good Shooting To All
BuckJM53

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im sure some old perry shooters would tell me im just a beginner, and id accpet the comment as true!

seems you all have good 22's. and since this a ruger forum, i wont bad mouth the mk2. i promise.

but what i will do is offer you how to cope with them. forget all that add on snake oil and fancy bbls, accessory craze, etc...
there are somethings any owner of any gun can do to improve his scores.

i cant write a book here telling you all the stuff, so im going to have to limit it to your questions.

but what i will do is tell you this...the #1 mistake shooters make is they put to much emphasis on the gun.
youve heard it all before, breath control, sight alignment, trigger squeeze, follow thru.
but there are a few things in addition to all of that.

fire away.

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
might as well talk ammo 1st. what seems to be the universal favorite round for target shooting you guys use?

· Registered
5,007 Posts
There is no such thing as a universal load or brand of ammo. Your gun will tell you what it likes and what is doesn't and each and every gun is an individual in that respect. That said, most of us have favorites in terms of brands and loads that have served us well over the years and we usually start with these when testing for accuracy. For example, I like CCI mini mags for general rimfire work and most of my rimfires have done well with mini mags, some better than others, but there have been some 22s that did NOT like them. And, in case you think it is simply a matter of buying the most expensive ammo off the shelf, I've had some 22s that do MUCH better with the cheap bulk stuff when it comes to shooting tight groups. Part of the fun in shooting is the hunt for that "magic" load. Be kind of boring if there was one or two universal bests when it comes to ammo.

I may be jumping threads, here, but if I had to pick one thing about shooting that I rate above all else when it comes to good shooting, it would be trigger technique and all that goes with it, from the brain right on down to the finger when it comes time to shoot. Just about everything else in shooting is straightforward, but the mental discipline and preparation behind that trigger can be the toughest and most elusive thing to master in shooting a pistol or rifle.

16,360 Posts
might as well talk ammo 1st. what seems to be the universal favorite round for target shooting you guys use?
Bobski ... Nothing universal about ammo for me. My ammo selection is always influenced by the following factors:
1. Price/Purpose - With ammo prices as they are today, I tend to use the least expensive ammo that will achieve my intended purpose. The exception to that is self defense rounds. I would never trust my life to "cheap ammo", and while the Winchester Ranger T Series is not the most expensive SD ammo on the market, they work well in all of my carry guns and have an excellent combination of ballistic and expansion properties IMHO.
2. Function - While several of my pistols will literally eat anything, I select the ammo for my picky eaters based on consistent function (with price being secondary). I find this most applicable (as I suspect most do) with rimfire pistols. I have more brands and configurations of .22lr on the shelf than anything else by far.

... I may be jumping threads, here, but if I had to pick one thing about shooting that I rate above all else when it comes to good shooting, it would be trigger technique and all that goes with it, from the brain right on down to the finger when it comes time to shoot. Just about everything else in shooting is straightforward, but the mental discipline and preparation behind that trigger can be the toughest and most elusive thing to master in shooting a pistol or rifle.
NCG ... I would tend to agree. While good technique in stance, grip, sight picture, breathing & follow through are fairly easily transferred from firearm to firearm, each trigger has it own unique feel. My favorite technique to stay sharp with my pistol trigger control is dry firing with a nickle placed on the slide behind the front sight. The goal for me is typically a minimum of 30 dry fires without dropping the nickle with a single action pistol, or 20 SA and 20 DA with a SA/DA pistol (I don't own any DAO).

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my gun uses cci green tags. federal match is a close second.

i guess what i was looking for was to hear what some of you use in your guns, to see what seems to be the most popular.

· Former Hoadpiler
32,417 Posts
....................My favorite technique to stay sharp with my pistol trigger control is dry firing with a nickle placed on the slide behind the front sight. The goal for me is typically a minimum of 30 dry fires without dropping the nickle with a single action pistol, or 20 SA and 20 DA with a SA/DA pistol (I don't own any DAO).
We were taught to do that in basic training on the M14. I think that is the single most important thing in shooting because if you can master that it usually means you are doing everything right.

16,360 Posts
how many of you measure and grade your 22 bullets?
hmmm, thats not encouraging to hear!
Bob ... I suspected that this issue wouldn't get much play, as the vast majority of our membership here (including me) are not serious match/bench shooters and wouldn't be getting enough benefit for spending the time necessary to measure rim thickness and weigh their .22 ammo. While I have a Neil Jones gauge and a digital scale sensitive enough to do the job, and in my testing of the technique a few years ago I found that there was certainly some benefit, because of time constraints I determined that (at least for me) it was more cost effective to just purchase a top end ammo when circumstances dictated. YMMV

16,360 Posts
you're right, seems to be mostly plinkers. we tried, right?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting together with friends and family to spend a great day of recreational shooting.:) Frankly, other than confirming the accuracy of the firearm, I personally am not very much interested in shooting from a bench or a complex rest. I much prefer the challenge of (and get more personal satisfaction) shooting off hand because it's just my technique, the front sight, the trigger and the target ;)

· Registered
42 Posts
I love taking the wife and family to the range. When I first got married, my wife was so opposed to having guns in the home that I had to leave them at my parents house. After slowly introducing her, we now enjoy our time at the range and at our home.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.