Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys recommend to wipe the blued Marks with to prevent any sort of corrosion when stored?

Thanks!
:D

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I keep a silicone cloth in my shooting bag, and several laying around on the bench. I like the Hoppe's rags, as they are not overly sloppy, leaving a wet appearance.

Of the several high mileage guns I own, a couple are over 40 years old in my hands, I have not a single rusty spot, on a single gun.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
+1 on the silicone cloth or a cloth with a good gun oil. Where you store a gun is also important. Humidity is the enemy. Get a de-humidifier if you have to.

·
Registered
483 Posts
For STORAGE? I use Outers (now Gunslick) Gun Seal. The Outers brand's version is now called Metal Seal. Alternatively, Birchwood Casey Sheath. These offer much better and longer-lasting corrosion-protection than plain 'gun oil,' but don't cost much more. For just sitting in the cabinet for a few days or a week or three, I just wipe 'em down with CLP or whatever 'gun oil' I have at hand. The silicon-impregnated cloths are a good option, too, though I don't think that they and 'gun oil' mix very well, so I try not to use one, then the other, unless I clean/degrease in-between.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks very much for all the replies so far.

How do you feel about those silicon socks after wiping the firearm down?

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts