Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I am new owner of 10/22 tactical and I want to enhance it with a scope, but I don't know which one to choose as the market is overflowing with offers and when I seem to have already settled on one option, another appears and I am no longer sure about the first.. Before I only used red dots for pistol, this is my first own rifle. Hope for your experienced opinion馃檹

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to use it in amateur target shooting, I am not great shooter but I visit shooting range quite often and train accuracy. My budget is about $500

Registered
I am going to use it in amateur target shooting, I am not great shooter but I visit shooting range quite often and train accuracy. My budget is about $500
4 out of 5 of my 10/22s wear Leupold rimfire scopes, but I primarily hunt and plink with mine. I prefer my scopes to be lightweight and proportionate to the rifle. That said, it sounds as though your primary use will be target shooting at the range. I'd recommend buying a quality scope with an adjustable objective that will allow setting your parallax at the exact range distance of your target. You should be able to that for well under $500. Perhaps you could spend the remainder on a trigger upgrade. You might also check and see what your fellow target shooters are using before you select your scope.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4 out of 5 of my 10/22s wear Leupold rimfire scopes, but I primarily hunt and plink with mine. I prefer my scopes to be lightweight and proportionate to the rifle. That said, it sounds as though your primary use will be target shooting at the range. I'd recommend buying a quality scope with an adjustable objective that will allow setting your parallax at the exact range distance of your target. You should be able to that for well under $500. Perhaps you could spend the remainder on a trigger upgrade. You might also check and see what your fellow target shooters are using before you select your scope.
Thanks for your recommendation I agree that it will be useful to check scopes on my own, it's a little scary to order optics online. Also I really should think over upgrading my trigger.

Registered
IMHO, for the price point, you can't do much better than a Leupold.

Registered

Registered
Lots of good scopes to choose from. Like others I've had good performance from Leupold, Burris and I have a forty-year-old Redfield mounted on a hard kicking bolt action 30.06 that is still rock solid and dead on the money.

But when I was building up my 10/22 Range Toy, I came across this Bushnell AR Rimfire. It's 40mm 6X18 and is parallax adjustable. Built for rimfire rounds and can be set-up for either .22 or .17. It won't break the bank and I think it looks really nice. It's clear, sharp and easy to sight in and adjust. I would mark it as "Highly Recommended".

Wood Air gun Trigger Plant Shotgun
Wood Air gun Bicycle part Trigger Shotgun

Registered
Thanks for your recommendation I agree that it will be useful to check scopes on my own, it's a little scary to order optics online. Also I really should think over upgrading my trigger.
Not so sure what you think might be so scary about ordering optics online. You may want to go with a red dot for your tactical 10/22. The easy answer was go with at least the lowest Brimstone trigger job but since they don't do them anymore. A BX may be the way to go or Tandemcross or Kidd kit.

Registered
Not so sure what you think might be so scary about ordering optics online. You may want to go with a red dot for your tactical 10/22. The easy answer was go with at least the lowest Brimstone trigger job but since they don't do them anymore. A BX may be the way to go or Tandemcross or Kidd kit.
Don't overlook the Timney trigger group. It comes with several easy change trigger shoes. My rifle has the two-stage model with 1# to 8oz break. It may be a little light for a woods or tactical (?) .22 but fantastic for a bench gun. It does take some getting use to as it's way lighter than any other trigger I have. But it's an easy drop-in install, that's ready to go right out of the box.

Vertebrate Wood Automotive lighting Tints and shades Font

Registered
There must be a million scopes out there, I hope you live in an area with some good stores/shops where you can check some out. Just looking through them will show some differences.

I own two Leopold Rimfires, their 2-7x and 3-9x and they are great but not really target scopes. I recently got a Vortex Viper 4-12x with side focus that I love, on sale for about $230. For my .22s around 12x is the highest I usually want, I have 25x target scopes on some and that is more than you need for short (.22LR) ranges.

I don't buy the really cheap scopes but you don't need to spend $500 either. I've owned about a dozen brands but lately buy Vortex, they give excellent performance for midrange money. Vet discount too.

Make sure that whatever you buy has the parallax set for rimfire ranges or is adjustable.

Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
There's a lot more to "which scope is best" than the brand name or magnification. Most people judge scopes by what they can see and feel yet don't consider internal construction or other important things such as eye relief, zoom range, adjustable objective lens or side focus dial. Even some of the simple things such as eyepiece focus, the type of reticule, objective lens diameter, length, and weight can be important factors. There's no such thing as a perfect rifle scope so you choose the one best suited for your intended use.

There are so many things to consider, especially for a rimfire scope .... so, I wrote an article about 10 years ago and posted it in the Forum E-Library, titled "Scope Dope". Here's a link: Scope Dope | Ruger Forum I think you need at least 25 posts to access the Forum Library.

Registered
Just recently put a Hawke Vantage IR 3-9x40 on a 10/22 sporter. At this time, I am very well pleased with the results. The tick marks are very close to being spot on, at least for Remington Thunderbolt out to 100 yds. Able to hit a 4" dinger fairly regularly.

Registered
Here's the deal. If bench rest shooting is the game then why do you need a variable scope? Most folks with variable magnification never dial it down from the max setting. Get a high mag fixed scope like a Sightron 36x42. It has a really fine reticle for precise aiming but if your eye sight is poor then you may not want this it. 1/8 MOA adjustability. $369.00 shipped from certain dealers.

Registered
Various Rugers, and 2 non Rugers
Here's the deal. If bench rest shooting is the game then why do you need a variable scope? Most folks with variable magnification never dial it down from the max setting. Get a high mag fixed scope like a Sightron 36x42. It has a really fine reticle for precise aiming but if your eye sight is poor then you may not want this it. 1/8 MOA adjustability. $369.00 shipped from certain dealers.
Nothing against the higher dollar scopes and optics but for general plinking the one I have for under 100 dollars works well. I can hold a 1 inch group at 50 yards with my eyesight without the use of my glasses is not bad. If I put a higher power scope like a 20-24 x on it I will try 100 yards.

Registered
Well, I guess I don't fall into the category of "most people". I use a variable scope and I adjust the magnification and parallax depending on the distance, ammo and target. I shoot my 10/22 Target, from a bench, on three different gun ranges from 25yrd to 50 to 100yrds and fine tune my sight picture to fine tune my groups. Our club has several ranges, and I can't always get on the same one... but I'm flexible ... and so is my scope.

The higher the magnification of the sight picture also means the higher perceived movement of the crosshair on the target, and I don't always want that especially when testing different ammo and changing distances. But as I always say, "To each his own" ... whatever works for you is fine with me.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts