Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the Forum. New to Ruger. I now own a SR40c and was wondering what is the best type of ammo to use for target shooting? And home defense?
Thank you for your expert opinions and advice

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
most of the .40 I shoot is Blazer Brass 180 gr. I did have to start buying something else, since I have a ported .40 and Blazer Brass is not for ported or compensated barrel.

Pick a major brand JHP in the same bullet weight as your practice ammo (Federal HST, Winchester Ranger, Hornady Critical Defense, etc).

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,585 Posts
Eastman was right. Pick a name brand defensive load. Test it in your pistol. Does it function 100% and hit to point of aim? Try several types. Pick the one that groups the best. Buy FMJ practice ammo of the same weight. Keep your gun clean and practice often. Shoot a magazine of your carry ammo every other range trip or so to keep fresh loads in the gun and to ensure proper functioning. Happy shooting!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Most .40 range ammo is about the same, performance wise. Range ammo in .40 has that truncated cone flat tip that seems peculiar to .40 caliber, almost, but not all of the range ammo I've seen for 9mm and .45 have rounded tips.
The flat point bullets see to function fine though. My best accuracy was with Rem-UMC 180 grain, but other brands were almost as good.

For carry /SD ammo, you can't beat the Federal HST. Winchester Ranger Bonded and Speer Gold Dots are also very good.

One thing to consider is different weights will impact higher or lower on the target.
If you are hitting left or right, you can compensate by drifting front or rear sight over slightly.
But most non target pistols don't have adjustable sights, so if you find the loads you are using hit several inches high or low, you can try a different weight and see how that does.
For instance, if you are using 180 grain and they all hit 3 inches high at 25 yards, try some 155 or 165 grain ammo.
When the gun is fired, the pistol starts rising some before the bullet is out of the barrel. Ammo that has a faster, lighter bullet will strike lower on the target then ammo that has a heavier, slower bullet.

One other thing to consider is bullet set back. .40 caliber is already loaded hot and on the upper edge of performance. There are no +P and +P+ loads for .40 like there are for 9mm and .45 because .40 is already at +P levels. There are more kabooms with .40 because of bullet set back.
You don't want to keep chambering the same round repeatedly. I try to keep my pistols loaded but every so often you are going to have to clean them. That round that you put in the chamber should be shot up at the range when you get a chance. The more times you chamber that round, the more chance that the bullet will get pushed deeper into the case, which will raise pressures to dangerous levels.

One other thing, you don't need to worry about rotating your magazines to keep the spring from becoming weak.
That was widely believed years ago, and some still believe that. Magazine springs don't become weaker from being compressed (loaded mag) all the time, they become weaker from being compressed (loaded) and decompressed (unloaded) over and over.
You can leave mags loaded for 20 or 30 years, and that's not going to be as hard on the spring as a mag that gets loaded and unloaded hundreds of times.

I have 3 carry mags for each gun that stay loaded. And I have 2 or 3 other mags that become designated range mags, I use those for practice so I don't have to keep loading and unloading my carry mags.
Magazines from reputable makers like Ruger, Smith and Wesson, Wilson, Meg-Gar are very reliable these days.
But it still doesn't hurt to number your mags. Use a paint pen or engrave a number on each one, then you can keep track of how much each gets used, and also if you have a malfunction, you can isolate that mag for further testing and repair.
Without numbers or some other I.D. all your mags will look the same.

For my Mini-30 magazines, I use these pull loops from Magpul. They help to get a better grip on the mag as you are pushing them to get them out of the gun, and help to get a better grip when rocking them in to latch. They help protect the bottom of the mag if one hits the ground, and make it easier to grab one out of a mag pouch.
And they provide a convenient place to mark a number. For pistol mags you can mark the base pad on the side or bottom.

·
Cat Herder
1,570 Posts
I don't have a 40, but found for other calibers that most of the standard FMJ loads run about the same. I shoot a lot of Federal and Winchester loads. I've also had good luck normally with Freedom Munitions reloads.

For defense ammo, in my 357 magnum I carry Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel rounds normally, although with all the crazy I've switched to the Sig V-Crown in 38 since my wife learned to shoot those and couldn't handle the mags.

In my SR1911 CMD that I have started carrying recently, I use Federal HST 45 ACP. In 45 they expand to about 0.9" and have good penetration, my buddy uses them in 9mm where tests show similar results.

With defense ammo, any of the premium rounds from Hornady, Sig, Speer, Federal, etc should be fine if they cycle well (make sure to run a bunch through to test. Avoid the quirky super light or super heavy rounds without extensive testing. If you look around, you can find 50 packs of HST for a little cheaper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts