Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy gang. It's been awhile since I've posted here. I hope everybody is well and prosperous!

I just acquired a Redhawk Model 5050 .45 Colt / .45 ACP revolver w/ 4.20" barrel. This will be my go-to bear country revolver. I have two questions for you fellow Redhawk owners out there:

(1) What's a good commercial (I don't reload anymore) .45 Colt anti-bear round that isn't too punishing in the recoil department?

(2) What's the best in rubber grips for reducing felt recoil?

All suggestions will be considered and appreciated...

-Hoss

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,688 Posts
I have never looked into bear protection loads. Avoid hollow point bullets and light Cowboy loads. A full power hard cast 250gr projectile should do. Ruger Only and commercial +P loads give more performance at the cost of more recoil. Pachmayr Decelerator grips make my Redhawk .44mag comfortable to shoot.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I haven't tried the Buffalo Bore mono-metal rounds, but have read good things about them online (it must be true -- it's on the Internet!).

I don't live in bear country, but I bought a box of the HSM Bear Load rounds in .45LC just to see what shooting my BH was like with heavy loads. These are 325gr WFNGC bullets loaded in Starline brass, advertised at 1155fps from a 7.5" barrel. For comparison, Buffalo Bore's 325gr hardcast loads are rated at 1325fps from, I think, a 6" barrel, so the HSM round is not the barn-burner that Buffalo Bore loads.

It's been a long time since I shot a friend's .44Mag SBH, but these HSM cartridges aren't near as harsh as I remember the 240gr .44Mag rounds we were shooting back in the day. If you decide the Buffalo Bore ammo is too punishing, give these a try.

I think I paid about $46 for a box of 50 at Cabela's a year or so ago.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a Hogue that fits SS & BH, in a box somewhere. It fits my hand well, and absorbs recoil well, but it's ugly. Just my opinion, of course. I've always thought the Pachmyers are much better looking.

My old friend with the SBH that I mentioned above ended up putting Pachmyers on his revolver, and it made it much nicer to shoot.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just a note on Pachmayr, which I agree are better looking grips in general; since production moved off shore the last couple of sets I purchased for various handguns fit very poorly. I compared these to a new old stock set that I knew to be 20+ years old and made in USA. No comparison... quality is lacking on the newer grips (as in most things).

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
In my opinion, the original Lett's style rubber with wood inserts grips are the best all the way around. The Hogue rubber grips are ok also.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the great replies!

I'm gonna give these Hogue #86020 grips a try:

Attachments

·
One Star
9,637 Posts
Sweet........

·
Registered
760 Posts
Let us know what happened when you tried those. I belive if you can find a set of pachmayr presentation grips for that gun you wont look anywhere else. Yes thay are a bit bulky but man do they help.

·
Premium Member
13,953 Posts
Hogue's work great for me.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I agree with the Hogue on my GP100, and have no need to change.
I have Pachmayr presentations on my snubbie .38, fills my hand better.

But, if you're looking to align center of bore, reduce recoil, and fire heavy loads from a Redhawk. These are about the best you'll get.
https://www.lymanproducts.com/checkout/cart/

·
Cat Herder
1,634 Posts
Let us know what happened when you tried those. I belive if you can find a set of pachmayr presentation grips for that gun you wont look anywhere else. Yes thay are a bit bulky but man do they help.
Does bulky matter with something as big as a Redhawk?

I've only used Pachmayrs on an SP101, but can tell you that they work well to absorb recoil and are comfortable in how they fit my hand, however they are not as durable as any of the Hogue grips I've had (on several guns). The Pachmayrs maybe lasted 300 rounds on an SP101, then it was like the nut had chewed up the rubber and I couldn't get them tight anymore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts