Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Just bought a 10/22 and I'm wanting to put a scope on it now. I wont be shooting this gun further then 100 yards and in most cases will only be shooting at 50 yards or less so I don't need a ton of magnification. I saw a couple old threads on this topic but I found that some of the suggestions were no longer around. (Nikon scopes) So I figured id start a new thread. Thanks for any help.

Jordan

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
this is what i have on my 10/22, my Marlin model 60 and my Marlin 22 mag ... they work very nice for my shooting which is just like yours for the most part ...

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
You might consider a fixed power. I have several guns with glass that I never dial down. I don’t hunt anymore just targets. I sorta shoot certain guns at 100 and others at 500, but never remember dialing one down. Changing guns, distances require I dial the spotting scope, but not the guns. Fixed power will be seriously considered for my future glass.

·
Registered
766 Posts
For a 22 rifle it is best to get one with an adjustable objective to correct for parallax at the ranges you will be shooting at. You might not need a higher power scope than 3 X 9 but even shooting at 50 to 100 yards I like to have as much magnification as I can afford. It is nice to see the holes in the target as you shoot. I have a 6 X 24 and a 3.5 X 30 on my 10-22's and love the magnification.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I believe you can still find Nikon P-Rimfire scopes on sale. Highly recommend. I have one on my 10/22 w/ Tac/Sol barrel.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
It's not complicated. Many scopes will work fine. You don't have to have a dedicated 22 scope. I use an inexpensive Bushnell Banner 3X9/40MM on my 10/22 & I love it
That scope has fixed parallax at 100 yards and is considered to be a centerfire scope. Thats pretty far out for 22lr. Dedicated rimfire scopes have fixed parallax at 50 yards. Its an important spec to be aware of when buying a scope.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Whatever brand you choose ... make sure it's a dedicated 22 rimfire scope ... they are made to work with 22 LR .
When younger I stuck a big 50 mm Tasco scope made for centerfire rifle, on my 10/22 and it was most unsatisfactory . Things like paralax and shifting crosshairs and sighting in problems kept cropping up .
A Bushnell Scopechief 22 scope was picked up and that solved all the strange problems I was having with the Tasco ... I put the Tasco on a 30-06 and it worked just fine .
So get a scope built for a 22LR ! And buy as good a scope as you can afford . A good fixed four power will cover a lot of ground and be a better value than a variable ... if fixed power scopes are still made in this day and age !
Gary

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yeah don't have to spend a fortune. Even the Pursuit 3x9-32 held zero on my Marlin and Ruger. Glass just not as good as the Vortex. Heard the Bushnell Banner series is decent for the money. Just experimenting with ammo between 40-45 grains right now.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Depending on your needs. If you aren't looking to try for one hole accuracy then my vote goes with the primary arms 22lr 1 x 6 acss . Really great optic for the money .

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
i need to clarify my original post ... the scope i linked up in my original post is what i have but i did not pay that price, i bought them off of GB for about half of what the retail is asking ...

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,706 Posts
I'm not into precision competition marksmanship and I like to marry my scopes to my rifles based on quality and accuracy potential. 10/22s are far from being the most accurate 22 rifles on the market and their cost puts them close to the bottom of the list. As such, there are many Chinese made rimfire scopes that will do a nice job on a 10/22. The experts say you should have 1X magnification for each 10 yards of shooting distance. A 10/22 is good from about 20~70 yards so a 2~7X scope is a great match. With a few exceptions, in optical products you get what you pay for so you can find a decent quality rimfire scope in the $100 range. Here's a link to a 2~7x with an AO parallax adjustment .... a great bargain for under $100: Amazon.com : Monstrum 2-7x32 AO Rifle Scope with Illuminated Range Finder Reticle and Parallax Adjustment | Black : Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was where the OP is last summer ... new 10/22, needed scope. Did my research, asked questions, shopped the internet. Bought this ... Bushnell AR Rimfire Optic 6-18 x 40mm. Fully parallax adjustable. Frankly after several hundred rounds for me there's this scope .... and everything else. But there are a lot of choices out there.

DSCF1477.JPG

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I was where the OP is last summer ... new 10/22, needed scope. Did my research, asked questions, shopped the internet. Bought this ... Bushnell AR Rimfire Optic 6-18 x 40mm. Fully parallax adjustable. Frankly after several hundred rounds for me there's this scope .... and everything else. But there are a lot of choices out there.

View attachment 150410
Do you actually use the complete range of power from 6X to 18X or do like I do ...set it at one power and leave it there ... variable power scopes are kind of wasted on me .
I usually set one to 4X or 6X , sight it in carefully and then never move it .
Does your scope hold it's zero when dialed up and down ?
The reason I'm asking is I like Bushnell scopes and my 10/22 needs one .
Usually after I sight it in I'm loath to monkey with it...scared it will have to be sighted in all over if I turn that knob too much .
Gary

·
Registered
238 Posts
i went with a Simmons - no way am i going to spend more than the cost of the rifle on a scope (although many folks do and are very happy with their setup)... for me, the 10/22 is good for 25-50 yards target in stock configuration, with steel plate ringing at 75-100 yards - some folks here do even better... but notice i mentioned stock

oh, and the Simmons holds zero after removal... i did upgrade the scope rings though, and i think that helps

1 - 20 of 28 Posts