Ruger Forum banner

Best Squirrel gun you've ever used

32K views 116 replies 89 participants last post by  Hog Leg Hauler 
#1 ·
For my wedding my brother got me a shotgun. He's just getting into hunting and I want to get him a squirrel gun with a scope. I love my Ruger 10/22 for squirrels. I'm open to hear other ideas of great guns though. Only requirement is .22LR. Also, I will be buying a new gun since the one he bought me was new and you can get 22s very reasonably priced. Let's hear your squirrel scopes and guns.

#2 ·
Henry Lever-Action. Slick action, accurate, and cowboy feeling rate a 10/10 for me. I love mine!

#3 ·
I love the Ruger 10/22 for squirrel hunting too. The compact length means that it handles very well in the woods. I have shot it in over 100 degree temperatures and at -20 degrees in the winter. It has never let me down. You can't go wrong with a 10/22.

I shot it for years with an ancient Weaver V22 that I bought for $10 in 1984 and it was always right on. I replaced the old scope with a Tasco Golden Antler 3X9 AO scope. It's just about the right size for the 10/22 and doesn't compromise the handling like some of the huge scopes available today. It focuses down to 10 yards. Modestly priced too.

#5 ·
The only reason I didn't say the 10/22 (I have one as well and love it) is because some people have trouble keeping the scope base stable. The Henry is machined to receive scope rings right on the receiver. The Henry is priced at about double the Ruger though. Just go with a well recognized company and it's hard for any dedicated company to mess up a .22.

#8 ·
FWIW, it holds two more in the tube than a factory 10/22 mag. You can get High Capacity magazines for the 10/22 but stick with the BX-25's if you're going to do so. Some .22's you can't get high cap mags for. My buddy has a Savage 64 and he's stuck with just the ten rounders.

#10 ·
My all time favorite was a Marlin 39A - no finer squirrel gun ever made in this gal's opinion, though I've also enjoyed using a Winchester 69, a 10/22, an old Mossberg bolt action 22, Marlin 881, Marlin 56 and ... too many rifles to list. Now, if you want to talk pistols, well, Ruger Single Sixes, Marks of various vintages, Contenders and more. My brothers and I grew up with squirrel hunting.

#11 ·
I have a Rem 541 I bought in the mid 80's that I really like and I also like my Marlin 39a for when I feel like using iron sights, however I have some 10/22's that would become my favorite if I didn't live in PA. Though PA is a very gun friendly state, we still have laws not allowing semi rifles for hunting. I can use a semi shotgun but not a rifle, it makes no sense. My new TD 10/22 has to stay home in squrriel season as my KIDD build does also :(

#16 ·
I am in agreement! My Marlin 60 is my most accurate .22 outside of a pure target gun. I am using a Tasco 3x9 40mm scope can will pick the ear off a squirrel at 50yards. I have embarrased several guys at the range who were shooting much more expensive .22s. I like my Ruger but I love my Marlin.

#14 ·
CZ-452 American, if you can still find one.

If money is an issue, Marlin 795SS. It's usually more accurate than a 10-22 and looks nicer. I prefer box mags to tubular ones,and I want the stainless parts. A very handy little rifle. I added a sling; no 'scope yet.

Best that I've used? Weatherby MK XXII back in the 1970's. Wish I still had it. It had the Weatherby 'scope, too. Hasn't been made in decades.

#17 ·
To all those suggesting Marlin I'm curious if your gun predates the Remington buyout and their plant closings and moving that started in '08, sadly it's been well noted in other threads and other forums that the quality dropped since then and I haven't heard if that has been recovered yet. The OP wants to buy new and as much as I love my old Marlin I just can't recommend a new Marlin until I've crossed over that threshold myself.

#20 ·
For me, the best squirrel gun is a Browning SA-22. It's a breakdown 22 that is very light and accurate. I don't even use a scope because of the accuracy of the iron sights. However, it is a little more expensive.

#22 ·
Fungun, my Marlins are old, 60's vintage Marlins, including my 39A and they are great guns. Yes, I've heard the internet moaning and groaning about the Remington buyout, but haven't tried one of these "Remlins", myself. I'm going to keep an open mind, though, given that internet discussions can be a bit distorted at times. The new Marlins I have checked in stores don't appear to be any better or worse as to wood and metal fit or smoothness than some of the Marlins I saw back in the 90s.

#23 ·
I definitely take everything I read online with more than a grain of salt, on this subject though there has been an abundance of accounts. I'm a huge fan of Marlin lever guns so I do very much hope it's all sorted out. I'll have my own personal evaluation probably later this year when I pick up their stainless big loop in 45-70. Might be a little much for squirrels though :D

#26 ·
My favorite squirrel gun was my S&W 22/32 kit gun. It had a 4" barrel and was very accurate, Not only was I able to get head shots at typical squirrel ranges, but a friend of mine who used it was able to shoot it equally well. I know the OP asked about rifles and scopes, but I really liked that revolver. I also like the older Marlin Golden 39A. The rifle handled all kinds of .22 ammunition from CB caps to high velocity stuff.

#30 ·
CZ 452 is absolutely the finest, most accurate .22 I've ever owned. 5 shots into 3/8" at 50yds with CCI Greentag. Just too pretty to beat up in the woods, so I moved 'er on to someone that'd appreciate 'er more.

Marlin 39A is the epitome of squirrel gun to me. My '59 shoots lights out & handles like a dream. I'm sure it'd outshoot my 60 if I could bring myself to put a scope on that classic beauty. I'm right-handed/left-eyed & really struggle with the buckhorn type sights. Maybe a Skinner peep....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.