Ruger Forum banner
61 - 80 of 117 Posts
To all those suggesting Marlin I'm curious if your gun predates the Remington buyout and their plant closings and moving that started in '08, sadly it's been well noted in other threads and other forums that the quality dropped since then and I haven't heard if that has been recovered yet. The OP wants to buy new and as much as I love my old Marlin I just can't recommend a new Marlin until I've crossed over that threshold myself.
I don't think Remington has made any 39A rifles. In their "wisdom" they have ended production on what was the longest lived production firearm ever. Good job, Remington.

The Henry is similar and I'm guessing plenty accurate enough for a squirrel gun.

One of the benefits of these lever action (or some pump action) .22s is they accept .22 short, long, and long rifle. This makes them extremely versatile.

I had always used a shot gun until about 25 years ago. I bought a 10/22, & first time out got 5 squirrels. It was the first time shooting it, & the sights were dead on. Not long ago I put a 3-9x40 Bushnell Banner Scope on it, & now I love it even better. It's a Walmart/ stainless steel , with a stock that kinda looks like camo, but it's not camo. Still looks brand new.

My custom built 10/22 is a minute-of-squirrel killer...

And my MKIV ain't too bad either... ;)

Edit: Wow...after I posted I went back to read other posts in this thread...and this is an OLD thread that surfaced ;)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

my Marlin bolt action 22 mag ... was the only rifle I owned when I started squirrel hunting ... took alot of the bushy tails with it ...

Attachments

Bushytail season just opened here, and I'm an avid bushytail hunter. With the trees full of leaves, this early in the season, I prefer a 20ga Remington 870. But soon, those leaves will start to fall and I'll switch to my Marlin 60 and a Simmons 4x32 scope.

My favorite isn't necessarily my best, but when I'm feeling nostalgic I'll take her out of the safe. It is a remington 514 single shot with open sights. I can't shoot it like I used to, but with some shorts it's fun to shoot the gun that I learned to shoot on.
The one I use regularly now is my 10/22 50th anniversary model and my ruger Mark IV.

Attachments

1964 vintage Marlin 39A Golden Mountie with the shorter carbine, and thick, barrel. An absolute jewel in the world of 22s! A squirrel slayer extraordinaire...

Pic:

Bayou52

61 - 80 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.