Ruger Forum banner
81 - 100 of 117 Posts
Bayou52
Thank You, have to say the Lever Action is so quite that them there Pesky Varmints never even lift up there heads they just keep on eating and never knew what Hit Them.
Kinda hard to beat that.
Got it as a Used Rifle really don't think it was used very much at all.
A Pleasure to Shoot.

Weatherby MKXXII with Redfield 2-7x Widefield that I have had for over 45 years. My best friend had the same setup and we used to have a squirrel headshot competition. Lots of squirrels lots of fun.

When I was a kid I had a Coast to Coast single shot bolt action that was amazingly accurate with 22 shorts. No scope, just good old iron sites and young eyes. It was quiet and if not on the first shot, the second did them in. I also had a single shot 410...Wards or Sears, I don't remember. Both were destroyed when in a flood filled our basement and I miss them dearly to this day.

My friends an I shot a ton of squirrels back in the day with a variety of cheap hand me downs and sold them to Mepps for fishing lures.

From 2012:
To all those suggesting Marlin I'm curious if your gun predates the Remington buyout and their plant closings and moving that started in '08, sadly it's been well noted in other threads and other forums that the quality dropped since then and I haven't heard if that has been recovered yet. The OP wants to buy new and as much as I love my old Marlin I just can't recommend a new Marlin until I've crossed over that threshold myself.
Yes, as of 2018 the Remlins were of improved quality. Back to the 80s desirability? Probably not with a shorter barrel, magazine tube, and plastic stock. The plastic stock if tougher, never have broke one at the wrist.

Can’t say about current 2019 production, if the Remington bankruptcy affected build quality.

The BEST gun ? Well the one I bag the most squirrels with is a Remington model 17 , 20 gauge pump . Bottom loading and ejecting , very light and the action is silky smooth with a nice trigger pull . My Grandfather bought it in 1929 and used it exclusively to hunt Quail and Woodcock . My Dad gave it to me because he preferred a 16 gauge he has had since 1945 .
It just seems that every time you squeeze the trigger a squirrel falls out of a tree.
I think it just fits properly and that makes hitting even flying birds easier .
Gary

81 - 100 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.