Ruger Forum banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts
My Volquartsen Silhouette rifle....bar none.

I have not hunted squirrels in years. But as a kid, my great uncle gave me a Winchester model 1906 .22 short gallery model pump. That was a dandy squirrel gun and downed plenty of the little "tree rats".

Of course now, I need a scope and I was using my bolt action Remington .22LR with a 4 power scope. My grandson now has the Remington and the Winchester.

He got his Eagle Scout rank just before he turned 14 and he I gave him a Henry Golden Boy for this great achievement.

Ken

The gun I've gotten the most squirrels with is a Beeman R9 or HW95. Quieter than any of my 22's and the ammo is even cheaper. This one I tuned to the shot cycle is very quick and smooth. It makes a difference since the pellet is still in the barrel when the power plant (spring and piston) start in motion. How you hold a springer is very important.

The strike of the pellet on the squirrel is louder than the shot. Matter of fact, after a while you can tell where you hit it by the sound of the impact. The more hollow the sound the closer it is to the gut. Many times I'm able to take second and third shots at other squirrels because it's not loud. When I've been practicing in my back yard I've had more than one squirrel come to my target because they hear the "snick" of the pellet hitting the cardboard rather than the report of a gun. Bad mistake....LOL.

This has a Weaver V-16 on it and the piece of pipe insulation on the scope holds pellets for quicker follow up shots. Its a single shot though so follow up shots are not quick.

These things are not cheap. $400 for the gun, $100 for the tune kit, $300 for the scope, $50 or so for the mount, etc.... But if you want to shoot in a non-firearms area, it's the way to go.

Gun Rifle Firearm Air gun Shotgun

My first gun ab H&R 760 single shot auto :) that still drives nails , my father gave to me for Christmas 1967 he bought it for $12 has a beautiful dark walnut stock but is light as a feather and very slender a really great youth model.
It has peeled a many a squirrel from the tallest trees as well as other critters.it’s auto eject function made for fast reloads.
There are CZs, Henry’s, Savages, 10/22s ,Marlins in 22lr in my safe but the little H&R is my first love as well as a Bearcat my uncle owned and taught me the beauty of single action pistols with it .

It’s still my favorite Xmas present ever.

Browning lever action.22. Light, solid, attractive. Iron sights, cb caps, very quiet.
Last squirrel hunt was 20 years ago with better eyes. 80 ft+ tall pecan, hickories, etc right through the eye or close.
If I can afford a UTV I will try it again.
Before this gun from about age 6 on a 28 in barrel single shot Springfield .22.Labeled shorts and longs. Long Rifle shells came along about the tiem I turned 9, I think.
Shot them in it too. Shot spent .22 hulls and pennies and pebbles for practice aboug 70 yards. Shot enough squirrels and rabbits and quail in my early years to feed the family well enough for Grand Ma t complain and wish i would catch some fish once in a while.

Stepped out to head to work this morning and had a tree rat working an oak tree in the back yard...loaded up my lunch box in rear seat of my crew cab and out came the pellet gun from rear seat. Tree rat dispatched...it died quietly and unexpectedly

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Not putting my two 10-22's under the rug, or my trusty Remington 521T I learned to hunt with as a kid (and still have), but my favorite is my Marlin 39M (with and mostly without a Bushnell 4X 3/4" tube scope) that I bought new in June of 1970 for $93.00 at Herter's in Waseca, Minn. If I had gone the day before I would have paid $75 (shown catalog price), but there was a big big up price. Couldn't talk the salesman back down to what catalog price was, guess my lack of any appreciable facial hair and my 21 year old fresh off the farm face and lack of real world negotiating skills wasn't very convincing. That 39M is a real accurate tree rat killer. Still have it and even though thousands of rounds have been sent down the micro-groove barrel, it could pass for a almost NIB rifle. Like to take care of my works of art. Some people ask me if its fairly new.....:love:!

101 - 117 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.