Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that I own several types of hand guns, I realize that there is a huge difference in trigger pull between them.

What gun has your vote for the best trigger pull?

I'm looking for out of the box best trigger, but if you want to give your vote to a modified trigger, please explain why and what gunsmithing you did.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Of my handguns, my SR1911 has the best. None of my guns have any trigger work.

The trigger on the LCR is pretty sweet though too. Just different.

My MKIII is nice, but someday may add a VQ kit to take up some of the slop.

·
Registered
166 Posts
In what I own,that would be my S&W .44 Hand Ejector,3rd Model made in 1926.
Second favorite would be my Colt Official Police made in 1930.
I think I sense a trend here!:D

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Best "out-of-the-box" trigger (no modifications/factory trigger) I have ever experienced belongs to an old S&W 27-2. Iowegan said it best (about his 27-2):

You can almost "think" the trigger off in SA and DA is smooth as butter.

and

When I had my gunsmith shop, customers would bring their favorite S&W revolvers in to brag about trigger pull. I would casually go to my safe and pull out the 27-2 and say "here's how a factory trigger should feel". That usually got their attention and often times would result in doing an action job on their S&Ws. With some meticulous buffing and stoning, I could replicate the factory 27's action but I couldn't make it better.

The trigger on this gun is really spectacular. I've fiddled with the triggers on my SP101s and a few GP100s and made them better but they're clunkers in comparison.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If you want to know the "best" trigger pull. IMO I would have to go with the S&W 686 especially the 686 ssr model. That is the only thing that is disappointing to me about Rugers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My Mk-III and 22/45, but that's because a friend and I spent a lot of time working on them. Replacement Volquartsen triggers, lots of work on the sear. The best trigger of any gun I ever owned was on an RWS M100 pellet rifle. Amazing. It was like mentally willing the gun to fire. That was a single-stroke pneumatic that was RWS' best match rifle before the era of precharged pneumatic guns.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Now that I own several types of hand guns, I realize that there is a huge difference in trigger pull between them.

What gun has your vote for the best trigger pull?
Before we go any further - are you wanting feedback on "out of the box" unmodified triggers?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I have a S&W 28-2 thats the best I've ever shot. I can't imagine anything better. I wish my GP-100 was as good.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
My fav is my Taurus 66 that I put Wolff springs in and polished the innards. My second fav is my SR40.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before we go any further - are you wanting feedback on "out of the box" unmodified triggers?
That is what I was looking for. However, lets do both with an explanation of gunsmithing involved on the redos. I think that would be great info for people who want to amend their triggers.

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
Beyond a shadow of a doubt it has to be my SR9c. The more I shoot it the better it gets.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
if we're not talking about Rugers, the best out of the box triggers I've found have been on my Contenders and an Anshutz Examplar I used for silhouette, but those are specialty pistols and a world unto themselves.

In more conventional guns, I had a S&W 617 which was superb and, more recently, the accutrigger on my Savage Mk II rifle has been very impressive. I will be buying another Savage rifle after this one, thanks to the trigger and this gun's superb accuracy. Ruger could take a lesson from Savage in this regard.

The best trigger I've had, yet, on a Ruger, out of the box, has actually been on my New Bearcat, but, in general, have had no complaints about ANY of my recent Ruger purchases. All have been at least good to downright excellent. My SR1911 has been especially good, as well as my GP and Single Ten.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,359 Posts
My Dan Wesson Valor 1911 .45 ACP has the best out of the box trigger. My Ruger M77 Mark II Target Rifle in .243 with the two-stage target trigger is a close second.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
As far as revolvers go, any S&W has , far and away, the best "out-of-the-box" trigger pull on the market (since the Python and Trooper are no longer made).

·
Registered
407 Posts
SR40 for NIB bought my 66 used and the SA pull is so nice compared to every other gun I've shot, I assumed it had some trigger work. After reading this thread, maybe the SW revolvers are just NIB terrific.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Best trigger for me was on an old 5-screw S&W Victory Model. Of course, that was about 60 years after it came "out of the box".

·
Registered
154 Posts
Best out of the box for me, to date has been a Browning X Bolt. Hands down the most impressive rifle trigger I ever felt.

As far as handguns, Colt Trooper, S&W 1911 and S&W 686.

As far as "worked", I have to go with a SBH. I believe the previous owner replaced a spring, I thought it was from Brownell's but I can't find a listing on their site.

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Out of box my Walther PPQ, not just for the weight of the trigger but for the speed of reset.

With work I got my XDm trigger as light with less pretravel, but the PPQ still smokes it on the reset.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts