Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm sure this has been asked and debated so don't get to annoyed with me ...

Best trigger replacement? They get pretty pricey. The BX from Ruger less than $100, all the others I've found go for $200 and up ...

I have $150 into the gun (bought it at an auction). Would love to get a Leopold scope for her, so not sure which direction to head first ... she is a good shooter just can't dial her home ...

·
Registered
807 Posts
The BX trigger assembly is a quick easy way to get a decent trigger for your 10-22. If you look around you can get one for around $50. Unless you are going to get into serious bench rest shooting it should work ok for you.

·
Emperor
885 Posts
You can remove your stock Ruger 10/22 trigger group, put it in a padded envelope, and send it to Brimstone Gunsmithing for their Tier 3 trigger work. Total cost including two way shipping will be about $55 or slightly less. You will get it back in about a week and a half, depending on what day it is received at Brimstone.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
You might want to check local gunsmiths shops for trigger job price.
Not far from me is a place called Clark Custom Guns and they can do a nice trigger job for $75.00 , you get 2.5 - 2.75 lbs. pull , over travel screw installed in trigger , speed bolt release , hone hammer and sear engagement surfaces , adjust so trigger functions reliably with standard or high velocity ammo .
For $75.00 I was happier than a clam at high tide...that trigger is sweet and makes you smile a lot.

I was so pleased I had them do a MKII pistol....SWEET !
Gary

·
Registered
92 Posts
You can remove your stock Ruger 10/22 trigger group, put it in a padded envelope, and send it to Brimstone Gunsmithing for their Tier 3 trigger work. Total cost including two way shipping will be about $55 or slightly less. You will get it back in about a week and a half, depending on what day it is received at Brimstone.
I second this option as a relatively cheap and effective trigger improvement. I think I had mine back in 7-10 days, with a 2.5# trigger pull - a noticeable & wonderful improvement over the factory trigger, plus you get the "pull & release" bolt feature. I never did like that standard 10/22 bolt lock/release tab anyway.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Spend $100 for the KIDD Trigger Job Kit, ordered directly from KIDD. It is simply the best trigger available. The BX is ok, but just ok, and the KIDD ships the same day. No waiting for weeks like with the Brimstone.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ok I'm sure this has been asked and debated so don't get to annoyed with me ...

Best trigger replacement? They get pretty pricey. The BX from Ruger less than $100, all the others I've found go for $200 and up ...

I have $150 into the gun (bought it at an auction). Would love to get a Leopold scope for her, so not sure which direction to head first ... she is a good shooter just can't dial her home ...
See previous reply on Brimstone Tier 3 trigger job. As for the Leupold scope, what size & features are you thinking about? I've used both Leupold VX-1 2-7x28 and Weaver 2.5-7x28 rimfire scopes on several of my rimfires, including my only 10/22, and from a practical perspective there is no real difference between them except cost. I've tried several brands on my rimfires, but have settled on Leupold, Weaver, and Nikon for most of my rifles. Don't waste your money buying a cheap scope ($15-$100), you'll just replace it later.

·
Emperor
885 Posts
I second this option as a relatively cheap and effective trigger improvement. I think I had mine back in 7-10 days, with a 2.5# trigger pull - a noticeable & wonderful improvement over the factory trigger, plus you get the "pull & release" bolt feature. I never did like that standard 10/22 bolt lock/release tab anyway.
I have had Brimstone do a Tier 3 trigger job on one stock Ruger 10/22 trigger group and a Tier 2 job on another. I specified the "sweet spot" trigger job for both. The Tier 3 trigger breaks at 2 lbs, 1 ounce and the Tier 2 job at 2 lbs, 2 ounces. If you want a heavier trigger, Brimstone can accommodate you.

The Tier 2 trigger job replaces the polymer trigger shoe with a nicer aluminum-alloy, flat-faced trigger shoe, replaces the stock plunger-type trigger spring with a torsion trigger spring that is smoother, and incorporates an over-travel limit screw. The Tier 3 trigger job retains all of the stock parts so there is a bit of trigger over-travel. With either job, the pre-travel and trigger break will be considerably smoother.

The Tier 2 trigger job is nicer with a better trigger shoe, smoother action, and no over-travel, but the Tier 3 trigger job is an excellent value and will achieve a trigger action that is markedly better than that of the stock 10/22 trigger. Either trigger job includes modification of the bolt catch lever to provide the "auto-release" function unless you specify you don't want it.

As for turn-around, it takes about 2 days for USPS to deliver a trigger from where I live in the Midwest to Washington State (Brimstone). Brimstone guarantees a one-week or less turn-around time on Ruger trigger work from the time the trigger group is signed in. They work on triggers seven days a week but they only sign them in on Tuesdays and Fridays. If you want to minimize turn-around, time your shipment to arrive on one of those days. If I recall correctly, one trigger was completed within 4 days of being signed in and the other within 5 days. Counting the 4 day round trip shipping time, that made for a total turn-around time of 8 and 9 days. If your trigger arrived at Brimstone on Saturday, and they took a full week to do the work, the turn-around could be conceivably as long as 14 days. That is just about the only scenario in which it could be said to take "weeks".

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am super happy with Brimstone. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info ... I'll look into Brimstone ...

As far as Tier 2 verses Tier 3 i am assuming the Tier 3 is a lighter trigger?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Just watched a lot of Kidd videos, including the trigger one.
Sure looks like he is committed to a top shelf product.

·
Registered
400 Posts
What are you planning to shoot with the gun? That's what determines what you need.

I've seen guys who say that the only good trigger upgrade is a Kidd or VQ for $200 but that's just nuts. If you're planning to shoot benchrest with a $2000+ rifle then sure, go for it.
But most of us have a decent $200-$500 gun that needs a better trigger.
I think the BX (shop around for $50) is a great trigger for the money and all a lot of people need. Next is Brimstone that's considered a step up from BX. Since they are hand finished they can be more consistent than the BX.
I installed a $40 VQ target hammer in one of mine and it's actually very good and the best deal there is. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/163143/volquartsen-target-hammer-with-bushings-ruger-10-22

Kind of the same with scopes; what are you planning to do with it?
I get tired of the "Leupold Snobs" that frequent the other forums. I've read some of them tell shooters with $200 guns that they need to spend $1000 on a Leupold or forget it.
I get it; I know that good optics are important and the value of the gun has nothing to do with what one spends on a scope. But some guy who's plinking doesn't need $1K glass.
I have mostly Nikon, Weaver, Sightron and Vortex scopes and like them all. The Nikon 3-9x and 4-12x rimfire scopes are terrific for their low cost.
The Sightron 4-20x50mm side focus goes down to 9 yards, has excellent glass and costs around $350. It's worth a look.
And just this week I got a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50mm for $450. Great scope, Leupold is better but is it 2 or 3 times better?

·
Emperor
885 Posts
Thanks for the info ... I'll look into Brimstone ...

As far as Tier 2 verses Tier 3 i am assuming the Tier 3 is a lighter trigger?
I am not sure if you mean lighter trigger pull weight or something else. No, the Tier 3 job does not typically result in a lighter pull weight, although it sometimes can.

The trigger work that Brimstone does on stock Ruger 10/22 trigger groups falls into three price levels that they call "tiers". The Tier 3 is the cheapest and does not replace any factory parts. The Tier 2 is intermediate in price and the Tier 1 the most expensive. Here is the page for Brimstone Gunsmithing trigger work for Ruger 10/22s:

Ruger 10/22 - Page 1 - Brimstone Gunsmithing

If you click on the individual icons for each tier of trigger work you will be directed to a page that describes the work in more detail and includes a video.

The Tier 2 job does replace some parts, namely the plastic trigger shoe which is replaced with an aluminum shoe, and the trigger return spring and plunger which are removed and replaced with an overtravel stop. A new rotary-type spring replaces the stock trigger return spring and a small pin is added to the trigger group to provide an anchor for the rotary spring.

If you were asking about whether the Tier 3 trigger job results in a trigger group that is physically heavier, it might possibly do so, but the difference would be so slight as to be unnoticeable.

As for trigger pull weight, you can specify your desired pull weight as either 2 lbs, 2 1/2 lbs, or "the sweet spot" which usually results in a pull weight between 2 and 2 1/4 lbs. In other words, they do the work to try to achieve an optimal trigger function and let the weight fall where it may. In my case, the Tier 2 trigger job yielded a pull weight that was 1 ounce heavier than the trigger 3 job but that was by chance and the difference in pull weight is certainly not noticeable to me.

Compared to the stock Ruger 10/22 trigger the Tier 3 trigger job will result in a trigger that has the same amount of pre-travel and overtravel. The take-up and break itself will be considerably smoother, however and the break will be much lighter. The overtravel will really not be as noticeable because the trigger will break at a much lighter pull weight and the pre-travel will not be as noticeable because it will be smoother. The physical feel of the trigger shoe itself will not change, of course, because it will not be modified or replaced.

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am not sure if you mean lighter trigger pull weight or something else. No, the Tier 3 job does not typically result in a lighter pull weight, although it sometimes can.

The trigger work that Brimstone does on stock Ruger 10/22 trigger groups falls into three price levels that they call "tiers". The Tier 3 is the cheapest and does not replace any factory parts. The Tier 2 is intermediate in price and the Tier 1 the most expensive. Here is the page for Brimstone Gunsmithing trigger work for Ruger 10/22s:

Ruger 10/22 - Page 1 - Brimstone Gunsmithing

If you click on the individual icons for each tier of trigger work you will be directed to a page that describes the work in more detail and includes a video.

The Tier 2 job does replace some parts, namely the plastic trigger shoe which is replaced with an aluminum shoe, and the trigger return spring and plunger which are removed and replaced with an overtravel stop. A new rotary-type spring replaces the stock trigger return spring and a small pin is added to the trigger group to provide an anchor for the rotary spring.

If you were asking about whether the Tier 3 trigger job results in a trigger group that is physically heavier, it might possibly do so, but the difference would be so slight as to be unnoticeable.

As for trigger pull weight, you can specify your desired pull weight as either 2 lbs, 2 1/2 lbs, or "the sweet spot" which usually results in a pull weight between 2 and 2 1/4 lbs. In other words, they do the work to try to achieve an optimal trigger function and let the weight fall where it may. In my case, the Tier 2 trigger job yielded a pull weight that was 1 ounce heavier than the trigger 3 job but that was by chance and the difference in pull weight is certainly not noticeable to me.

Compared to the stock Ruger 10/22 trigger the Tier 3 trigger job will result in a trigger that has the same amount of pre-travel and overtravel. The take-up and break itself will be considerably smoother, however and the break will be much lighter. The overtravel will really not be as noticeable because the trigger will break at a much lighter pull weight and the pre-travel will not be as noticeable because it will be smoother. The physical feel of the trigger shoe itself will not change, of course, because it will not be modified or replaced.
That's some good info ... Thanks

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Kidd triggers are great. Get one you won't regret it.
Pay Attention to the above statement. Again... as I said... Get the TRIGGER JOB KIT from KIDD. Its $100, and is the same components that they sell in the replacement trigger group. The KIDD Trigger is superb.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I added the BX trigger to mine 75.00 at my local (GA) range. Now I just have to get used to the much lighter trigger pull. It was an easy swap. Maybe in the future I will send out the original trigger and have it done. The Brimstone overhaul sounds like a good choice.

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
First off thank you all for the opinions and thoughtful comments.

I have decided to go with a Tier 2 trigger job from Brimstone Gunsmithing, standard trigger width and pull weight to be "the sweet spot" roughly 2 to 2 1/2 pound pull. Tax Title Out the Door ... $88.45 ....

Looking forward to getting it back and trying it out ...

side note ... i'm also on the verge of buying a Leupold scope for said 10/22. I think both components together will make me a happy shooter!

·
Registered
8 Posts
First off thank you all for the opinions and thoughtful comments.

I have decided to go with a Tier 2 trigger job from Brimstone Gunsmithing, standard trigger width and pull weight to be "the sweet spot" roughly 2 to 2 1/2 pound pull. Tax Title Out the Door ... $88.45 ....

Looking forward to getting it back and trying it out ...

side note ... i'm also on the verge of buying a Leupold scope for said 10/22. I think both components together will make me a happy shooter!
Im on the verge of uping my scope as well. I believe you will be very happy with Brimstone and the bolt release is so much better too.

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im on the verge of uping my scope as well. I believe you will be very happy with Brimstone and the bolt release is so much better too.
Did you have Brimstone do yours? If so what tier 1, 2 or 3?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts