Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My church is having a chili cook off for all the men and I shot a deer last week sand I'd like to use the venison in my chili. But I want to win the cook off. Would you mind sharing your best venison recipes?

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
While I do not have a venison specific recipe: long, slow cook the meat till the meat fibers break down. That will bring out the best meat texture for the Chile.

·
Registered
496 Posts
My church is having a chili cook off for all the men and I shot a deer last week sand I'd like to use the venison in my chili. But I want to win the cook off. Would you mind sharing your best venison recipes?
Here ya go.. I do NOT use the beans or tomatoes in..Texas Law forbids it.. <LOL> Serve them on side
Enjoy wPm

Ingredients

3 Ancho Chilies
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 1/2 pounds chuck roast, trimed (Soak in Butter milk over night then drain)
1 1/2 pounds lean pork, cut in dice
3 yellow onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
6 jalapenos, chopped
2 teaspoons salt
6 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1/4 pound bacon, diced
Dash cider vinegar
2 cups cooked pinto beans (optional)
1 bay leaf (optional)
28 ounces can tomatoes (optional)
1 cup corn (optional)

Instructions

Roast cumin seeds for 10 minutes in a 375 degree F oven. Remove and set aside.

Heat a large kettle and saute the bacon until clear. Brown the meats first, drain off the fat, and then add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 3-4 hours on low, adding tomato sauce, beef stock red wine or water if it seems dry. *** Note I prefer the some red wine***

Correct seasonings and add the cooked beans and tomato sauce, cook for 1-2 more hours on low.

Prepare chilies by cracking them open and removing seeds and veins and stems. Cover with hot water. Soak for 1 hour. Drain, but reserve the soaking liquid.

Place pepper skins in blender and add enough of the water so that the total amount in the blender is 2 cups. Add 2 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon oregano and 1 teaspoon salt, and blend until thick and smooth to make Ancho Chili paste.

Add chili paste to the chili.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Here's mine, try it just the way you see it below before you change anything, it's deeeelicious(no beans or tomatoes)

Cowboy Chili

Ingredients:

3 lbs. venison--cut into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes (remove all deer fat as that is what causes the "gamey" flavor)
1/4 cup pork lard or Crisco
4 tbsp chili powder
3 dried red peppers, crushed
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp whole dried cumin, bruised
2 cloves garlic, sliced
2 tsps salt and black pepper to taste
3 onions peeled and chopped at fireside
Instructions
The first instructions are for making at fireside when camping out or on the trail, after that are a list of adaptations I've made for making it on the stove top.
The spices should be combined at home and carried in a can or plastic bag, the lard and garlic should be packaged separately. You can make chili powder from scratch by mixing ground cayenne, oregano, cumin and salt in a 3:2:1:1 ratio.
Use a dutch oven, 3-quart size or better, nestled in a generous bed of coals. It's easiest if the supply fire is a couple feet away, giving the chef a chance to work over the pot, adding fresh coals to the cooking area as needed.
Brown the meat in the lard, half at a time. With a large slotted spoon set the browned meat aside, adding more lard as necessary. After all the meat is well browned, pour off any extra grease. Combine the meat, chili powder and all the spices. Dice and add the garlic.
Stir the meat vigorously, coating each piece with the spices, and continue cooking over lower heat for 10 to 12 minutes. It may be necessary to remove the kettle from the coals to prevent burning, but the heat of the pot should be sufficient to allow the herbs and peppers to soften and blend.
Add enough water to cover the meat. Return to the fire with enough coals to bring the chili to a boil. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for one hour.
Grate or chop the onions finely and add to the chili. Continue cooking for an additional hour, adding more water as necessary until the onion dissolves.
Only heretics add beans to chili.
Allow the chili to stand for 10 minutes before serving, skimming off any fat that rises to the top.
Bannock baked in another oven makes good drop biscuits.
Serves 6.

My adaptations for the stove top
(Corresponding to the numbers above)
My family loves it this way

1. I use 4-5 lbs. of venison (or barring venison, a good lean cut of beef)

2. I usually use 5 Tbsp of hot chili powder adding gradually during the cooking process

3. I use 2 Tbsp of ground cayenne to start

4. I omit the oregano (there's enough in the chili powder)

5. For this much chili I use 1 1/2 tbsp of ground cumin and add more to taste as I cook the chile (adjust to your taste)

6. I use 2 Tbsp of chopped garlic (or more, I love garlic)

7. 1 heaping tbsp of salt and 1 1/2 tsp of black pepper (adjust these to you taste)

8. 3-4 medium to large onions, chopped

The only other thing I do is thicken the chile with a mixture of milk and flour, as I like chile with a stew-like consistency

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Simple bannock

2 ½ cups of flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
3 tblsp lard
1 cup cold water (approx)

Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the lard and mix in thoroughly. Gradually add the water (you may not need it all) and mix until the dough is thoroughly dampened, but not sticky.
Knead the dough on a floured board for 30 seconds. Flatten the dough to 1/2" thick. Cut into 8 pieces, and fry in a lightly greased frying pan, on medium heat, for 12-15 minutes each side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts