Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

· Registered
8,407 Posts
Just cleaned my Model 63 after a range trip. The used gift card idea worked great. Appreciate the tip.
The wife worked where they used gift cards as bonuses. I've got a lot of 'em. Good for other stuff besides guns.

Reactions: mark40

· Registered
SBH, SP101, GP100, Mini 14, AR MPR, G19.5, G20.4
5,743 Posts
Me too. Over time the carbon rings reduce endshake and pressure loss at the gap. More velocity and accuracy. Makes your 38 shoot like a 357.

I read it on the internet.
See! Right there, proof!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO:
I just don't see why it needs to look new. And those cloths are minimally abrasive. It doesn't remove bluing magically. Scotch bright, smooth steel wool remove material.

· Registered
6,321 Posts
I simply wipe the face with hoppes #9 with a patch. Maybe 10 seconds on it working around all the holes. wipe down with a dry patch and done. What doesn't come off stays. It never builds up, at least in my case, after years and years of shooting. It just leaves the nice blast rings. Doesn't hurt a thing.

Nice 'tongue in cheek' commentary there Corndog ;) .

· Registered
4,004 Posts
I want to avoid abrasives as much as possible since I wonder if my 45 Colt cylinder had to be replaced by the previous owner being overly aggressive with abrasive cleaning.

I did try leaving Hoppes on for a few hours but no joy. Also, my wife is super sensitive to smells so I use Hoppes as little as possible.

I wonder if Brasso is harmful to Stainless or other components?

If someone figured out what the chemicals are on the cloth they could make a lot of money selling a bottle of it.
My wife also ... go to gunstore and look at Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner and Hoppe's Elite Gun Oil ... The Elite line claims to be : " High PerformanceTechnology " Elite Gun Cleaner - cleans down to the pores . Removes carbon , lead and copper . .... drum roll please ... Scent Free !!!
Now I'm not going to tell you it's the greatest cleaner ever made , it cleans pretty good ( as good as Ed's Red Bore Cleaner) but I'm sitting here , open bottle and sniffing it .... I do not smell any thing ! It is scent free .

Hoppe's Elite Gun Oil - High Performance Technology . Superior Lubrication & Corrosion Protection . Repels Dirt and Carbon . Low Odor and Thin Coat technology . Now I just put a drop on my finger , rubber it around and smelled ... I can maybe barely detect a very slight smell but it isn't a bad smell and a second sniff and I can't smell anything ... It is truly Low Odor and not unpleasant . I can clean and oil my revolver and bring it into the bedroom without hearing any wife complaints of ... phew ...what's that smell ...get it out !
Let the wife smell both and see what she says ...or ... clean and lubricate with Elite , sneak the gun inside and see if her nose can ..."sniff it out " .
Gary

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My wife also ... go to gunstore and look at Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner and Hoppe's Elite Gun Oil ...
I had seen it and wondered how it was different. Thanks! I'll give it a try.
I have been using Breakfree CLP and as long as I do the clean in the garage and wear gloves (so my hands don't smell) I am able to bring the guns in afterward.

· Registered
6,321 Posts
While 'I' like the smell of Hoppes #9 ... The wife doesn't, so those air freshers wouldn't be allowed here :) (I ike the idea, but). Get enough 'feedback' just cleaning my guns in the basement :)

· Registered
8,407 Posts
I bought one pack of 'em a few years back.. Not too strong, but filled a room, lasted maybe a month. I don't think they are worth what they cost ($12 pack of three), but fun anyway. Even hung one in my car for a while. Hang one in your wife's car......o_O

Reactions: Woodsey495

· Registered
4,004 Posts
While 'I' like the smell of Hoppes #9 ... The wife doesn't, so those air freshers wouldn't be allowed here :) (I ike the idea, but). Get enough 'feedback' just cleaning my guns in the basement :)
You realy should give the Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner and Gun Oil a try ...
no bull in the advertisements ... scent free and low odor is true !

I give my barrels and revolver cylinder face and chambers a light coat of the Elite Gun Oil ... before putting away , so it can "soak" in and it does seem to help keep carbon build up from building up and easier to clean off . I'm a hard person to sell new products to but this Elite Gun Oil may have something going for it . Give it a try and report how it works for you ...the wife will appreciate the No and or Low Smell ... Mine sure does , I get to sleep in the bedroom after cleaning my gun .
Gary

· Registered
107 Posts
I can clean the bore of the cylinders easy enough with Hoppes, a brass brush, and a drill but the burn rings are tough.

Seems like Birchwood Casey Lead remover cloth is the way to go but isn't cheap I found one video where they suggested using a ScotchBrite scrubbing pad. I am picky about clean but would rather not spend hours or risk damage to by cylinders.

Any suggestions for what works well for you?
Hands down, this is what you want.
Birchwood Casey 31002 Lead Remover and Polishing Cloth, 6-Inch x 9-Inch https://a.co/d/doGdBrt
Packaging and labeling Box Liquid Rectangle Font

21 - 40 of 51 Posts