Insert magazine in gun.
Rack a round into chamber.
Put the safety on.
Remove magazine and load with 7 rounds.
Magazine in gun
Release safety if desired.

The other way to do it (Is this OK?):
Pull slide Bbck and lock.
Place one round into the breach of barrel.
Rack and release slide.
Install magazine with 7 rounds.

Comments, suggestions and opinions?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The general feeling is method #2 increases the risk of chipping, or damaging the extractor. When the gun functions as designed, the case rim of the cartridge slips up, and under, the extractor. When the extractor is forced to snap over the egde of the rim, as in example #2, the risk of damage increases. The Ruger manual says method #2 is ok, but I dont do it.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Method 1 for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"weblance, please explain how do you load a round in the chamber if both methods cause damage to the round or gun "

He already did explain. Read it again. Some suggest there is risk of damage to the extractor, although the LC9 manual does not disallow it. Some guns are made to do this, and other guns decidedly prohibit method #2. Even if it does not damage the gun, there is no risk doing it per the first method, which is normal operation. Also getting fingers near the open chamber is something I avoid.

For me I am good with 7 rounds, 1 in the chamber and 6 in the mag (-1 from total capacity of 7). If 7 rounds is not enough, then something is really wrong. Also it's less weight of one round, not much but every little bit counts. That is why I bought this gun, weight or lack there of.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Well, I just sat here and tried method #2 with my LC9.....

With a round in the breach, the loaded chamber indicator wants to hit on the back of the shell preventing the slide from going forward fully. Also it's a major PITA to put a round in the camber that way.

Method #1 is much easier to do.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Well, I just sat here and tried method #2 with my LC9.....

With a round in the breach, the loaded chamber indicator wants to hit on the back of the shell preventing the slide from going forward fully. Also it's a major PITA to put a round in the camber that way.

Method #1 is much easier to do.
It shouldn't do that if you have slide locked and then let it fly like you would when loading another magazine.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
My only reasoning for asking that question is, if i go to the range and load a mag full with 15 rounds and rack a round to shoot. This is no differant than step 1 you are still loading a roumd into the chamber the way the gun is designed to function. If this is true than everyone is damaging their gun's everytime they go to the range and shoot.

·
Bat Man
1,672 Posts
Method 3 then... insert full mag, rack, safety, drop mag and add one round, insert mag.
To be honest, never considered doing it any other way. Most semi-autos (if not all) were not designed to manually place a round in the chamber and slam the bolt on it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
lc9

Stick with method #3. This is the way the gun is designed.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Method 3 then... insert full mag, rack, safety, drop mag and add one round, insert mag.
To be honest, never considered doing it any other way. Most semi-autos (if not all) were not designed to manually place a round in the chamber and slam the bolt on it.
Me too. /\ /\ /\

·
Registered
395 Posts
Nowhere in the manual does it in anyway suggest using method #2*. In fact, it does mention the SR series not being single loader guns, rather use a mag to chamber a single round. Probably means that because of the mag safety. It even seems like a fairly dangerous process.

It's not to say I haven't done so, but overall it only takes a second or two to put a (set of) round(s) into a mag and chamber it/them that way, and also I just feel safer loading up a gun that way.

* on the other hand, it doesn't explicitly say -not- to do so...

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The general feeling is method #2 increases the risk of chipping, or damaging the extractor. When the gun functions as designed, the case rim of the cartridge slips up, and under, the extractor. When the extractor is forced to snap over the egde of the rim, as in example #2, the risk of damage increases. The Ruger manual says method #2 is ok, but I dont do it.
I stand corrected on the LC9. I was referencing the P95, as the owners manual does state that method #2 is ok. Because of the loaded chamber indicator, I assume, is why Ruger doesnt recommend method #2 for the LC9. We can debate this forever. Method #1(or #3, its the same thing) is the safe, and recommended way to chamber a round, and if you want to top off your magazine, then after chambering a round per method #1, drop mag and top it up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Method 3...that's the way I have always done it with my sr40c...my P95 as well

1 - 18 of 18 Posts