Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NYC Health Officials to Hold Hearing on Proposed Trans Fats Ban

Monday, October 30, 2006

Health officials in New York City are stepping up to the plate to remove trans fats from the menus at local restaurants.

The Board of Health will hold its first public hearing today on a proposal to make New York the first U.S. city to ban restaurants from serving food containing artificial trans fats – ingredients so unhealthy nutrition experts say they belong in the same category as food spoiled by rodent droppings.

Some eateries are already scrambling for ways to get trans fats out of their food.

Fried chicken restaurant chain KFC, a unit of Yum Brands Inc. (YUM), on Monday said it will switch to low linolenic soybean oil, a cooking oil with no trans fat, in all its U.S. restaurants by April 2007.

The change will take effect in all 5,500 U.S. restaurants, following a two-year trial to test and identify cooking oils with the same taste and characteristics as the previous oil.

Once the transition is complete, KFC's most-popular signature products, including Original Recipe and Extra Crispy chicken, will contain zero grams of trans fat. Other products will include Crispy Strips, Wings, Boneless Wings, Honey BBQ, Buffalo and Crispy Snacker Sandwiches, Popcorn Chicken, Twisters and Potato Wedges.

Wendy's, the national burger chain, has already switched to a zero-trans fat oil. McDonald's announced in 2003 that it intended to do so, but has yet to follow through.

If approved, New York's ban would only affect restaurants, not grocery stores, and wouldn't extend beyond the city limits.

But experts said the city's food service industry, with 24,600 establishments, is so large that any rule change is likely to ripple nationwide.

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

You might not think this story has anything to do with guns, but it reminds me of Maryland and I think New York that requires internal locks on any pistols sold there, and all the gun companys coming out with infernal internal locks. I personally do not eat fast food very often, as a matter of fact, I avoid it like the plague, but once again, the government is telling people what they can and can not eat! As mentioned in the article, this will eventually happen nationwide.

------------------

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'd swear last week that I read an article about transfat - apparently Denmark already outlawed it - and all the US food chains that are there are doing fine.... They have abided by the law.

Changing to a different grease is not a big deal - it won't ruin the food. The industry just doesn't wanna change.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Actually trans fats / hydrogenated oil / saturated fats are very unhealthy.</u> They were invented by the food industry because of among other things, they don't spoil. That's why KFC, McDonalds and BK don't have to change out fryer oil daily any more, it can go weeks at a time. It's also how packaged food can have a shelf life measured in light years. The major problem with them is that they severely raise the LDL (bad) cholesterol which will clog arteries and leads to heart disease.

We would do a service to the health of the country to ban these types of altered fats. Just do a little web search and you'll see how bad they are.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know how bad they are. That is not the point. No one makes you eat the stuff! You can eat healthy if you choose to eat healthy. And I do. I went from 312 to 210. But, I did not have the government making me do it either. That is the point.

·
Registered
336 Posts
quote:Originally posted by gunman42782

I know how bad they are. That is not the point. No one makes you eat the stuff! You can eat healthy if you choose to eat healthy. And I do. I went from 312 to 210. But, I did not have the government making me do it either. That is the point.
My issue is that these trans fats are in almost everything you eat. They are almost impossible to avoid and most restaurants don't disclose if they use them unless you ask for one or go to their web site. This stuff is simply a legal poison and the only purpose of it is to benefit the food and restaurant industries and NOT the health or nutritional needs of Americans. Do a search and try to find one health or nutrition benefit of trans fats, there are none.

I hate government in my life as much or more than the next guy but when the food industry tries to legally poison me so they can save a buck I want the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to step in a act.

·
Registered
377 Posts
quote:Originally posted by gunman42782

Unfortunately, those that can't or are unwilling to make the proper choices cost ALL of us a fortune in outrageous health cost. Don't worry as the government will leave other ways to take your money if health costs are contained by this change. :D

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
This went on for years before these facts became public knowledge. Unfortunately they generally taste so good that many people still eat them. I still have quarter pound with cheese once in a while and some Kentucky fried.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts