Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody, I went to range today and one of my guns that I brought along to shoot was my NM Single Six Convertible. I usually shoot CCI or Federal brand .22 LR ammo but due to some sort of mysterious "drought" of these brands I picked up a box of "Winchester 333 Rounds", 36 grain, Hollow Point Copper Plated ammo. First time ever using this stuff.

What a box of junk that was! :mad: Garbage!

Out of the 333 rounds that come in the box approximately 1/3 of them wouldn't feed into the cylinder but half way. I had to eject them out and put them aside. I had over a dozen FTF's, "fail to fire", and I found six rounds with "dings" in their brass casings which I didn't shoot either. The balance of the 333 rounds of box went into the cylinder with more thumb pressure then should be needed to seat them.

Has anyone else had a bad experience with this brand of .22LR ammo or did I just get the "surprise" box?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Winchester 333 and 555 work fine in my various .22lr firearms. I bet it was a bad run. Call Winchester. Most likely they'll ask for the lot number off your box, send a return label for the defective ammo, and send you out a new box.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I had similar problems with the "333" in my previous Single-Six. The S-S is chambered pretty precisely, apparently, and some of the "333" rounds were a little out-of-round and wouldn't go in the cylinder all the way.

I don't know if it is sloppy manufacturing, thin brass or what. I finished them in my Mark III, where most did okay.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Winchester 333 and 555 work fine in my various .22lr firearms. I bet it was a bad run. Call Winchester. Most likely they'll ask for the lot number off your box, send a return label for the defective ammo, and send you out a new box.
Thanks for the tip JaPes, I may do that so at least Winchester will know there was a problem with this box. Maybe it'll save someone else from having an episode like mine.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Sounds just like the bulk box of 525 Remington Golden Bullets I bought.
Half of them won't chamber in my Single Ten, and getting the empty casings out is almost impossible.
Absolute garbage.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Sounds just like the bulk box of 525 Remington Golden Bullets I bought.
Half of them won't chamber in my Single Ten, and getting the empty casings out is almost impossible.
Absolute garbage.
It's so weird. Everyone bags on Remington, but that's what I have the most luck with! :eek: haha I guess more for me :cool:

·
Registered
168 Posts
JK55- I think you received a bad batch. I have been using this for a long time with no issues other then your bad one here and there. (333 & 555).

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
It's so weird. Everyone bags on Remington, but that's what I have the most luck with! :eek: haha I guess more for me :cool:
If you lived in my town I'd give you the rest of my box.
I have to find some way to dispose of them... unless I can get them to cycle through my Henry lever action rifle.:confused:

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I just finished a box of Winchester 525 whitebox from Wal-mart in my SR22P - so far the only of three brands with which I have not had a single failure to feed, or failure to fire, or failure to eject.

·
Registered
873 Posts
If you lived in my town I'd give you the rest of my box.
I have to find some way to dispose of them... unless I can get them to cycle through my Henry lever action rifle.:confused:
My Henry feed everything. I bet you'll have no trouble with them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've had great success with the 333 or 525.
Just a bad batch.
I had the same problem with a couple of boxes of Remington target ammo. Light blue & dark green box.
My target pistol is a S&W model 41. It usually shoots any Target ammo.
It happens, Give Winchester a call. I know they want to make it right. They may have heard from other users?

·
Registered
17,074 Posts
They've always worked for me too, but I prefer Stingers.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for your responses. :) I am going to notify Winchester as it's the right thing to do. I must have gotten hold to a bad batch as you say.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts