Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
The few times I've sold a gun, I have always followed the same practice. Not to make anyone happy, but to protect both myself and the person I was selling to.
I write up a bill of sale with the guns make, model and serial number on it. I make two copies. We both sign both copies. I keep one, the buyer gets the other. I NEVER reveal this bill of sale to anyone. It is there in case I need to prove I no longer own a firearm. Assuming law enforcement will take you at your word and not give you grief is foolish at best. Remember that investigators spend most of their time talking to guilty people. They are not going to assume you are innocent until proven guilty. Cover yourself. One gun I sold to a friend and as far as I know he still has it. Another I sold to a friend and he almost immediately used as trade in getting a truck. I regret that second one, but I can't take it back.

My way, I can prove I no longer own a firearms and the buyer can prove they did not steal it. I have no obligation (yet) in my state to prove a person can legitimately buy a firearm. They are trying to pass legislation on that in Va now.

·
Banned
348 Posts
The few times I've sold a gun, I have always followed the same practice. Not to make anyone happy, but to protect both myself and the person I was selling to.
I write up a bill of sale with the guns make, model and serial number on it. I make two copies. We both sign both copies. I keep one, the buyer gets the other. I NEVER reveal this bill of sale to anyone. It is there in case I need to prove I no longer own a firearm. Assuming law enforcement will take you at your word and not give you grief is foolish at best. Remember that investigators spend most of their time talking to guilty people. They are not going to assume you are innocent until proven guilty. Cover yourself. One gun I sold to a friend and as far as I know he still has it. Another I sold to a friend and he almost immediately used as trade in getting a truck. I regret that second one, but I can't take it back.

My way, I can prove I no longer own a firearms and the buyer can prove they did not steal it. I have no obligation (yet) in my state to prove a person can legitimately buy a firearm. They are trying to pass legislation on that in Va now.
I do the same thing even when I traded i made sure that it stated the the trade was fair and both parties agreed. Because well people get home and think about it then they say they didnt get an even trade.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
348 Posts
2 weeks ago I had the local city police come to the house asking about a Springfield Armory 40cal pistol. It had been found in the middle of the road in the next county. I told the officer I had sold the gun several months earlier so they wanted to know who I sold it too. I sold it through a gun store on consignment I call the gun store who called the county sheriff and gave them the information on the guy that bought the gun. the guy that bought it laid it on the tool box of his truck while loading it forgot about it and drove off leaving the gun in the road. the state had not updated the transaction.
Damn that sucks in all that matter

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Once a gun enters my possession it never leaves...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I have had a few leave, but not in the last 30 years. I tell others that all of my guns are for sale, they just have to buy from my widow!

Of course there may have been a few 'boating accidents' where stuff went missing.

Bruce

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've only sold one firearm (but bought several).

That was a Sterling .25ACP - I bought it in ~1995. It had the magazine release on the heel of the grip - and a very weak release spring. I liked it, as small as it was - but at least twice every magazine my little finger would slip back, and move the magazine release just enough to pop the magazine loose, and I would get a stovepipe!

I finally got fed up with it, and sold it to a pawn shop (along with the die set for it and all ammo & components for it). While I was there waiting for my turn to be helped, a kid (early 20s) was trying to buy it off me - I told him "sure you can buy it - just as soon as I get the paperwork from the clerk accepting it and get my money from the shop".

He just seemed a bit too eager to buy it from me, and too reluctant to buy it from the pawn shop - know what I mean?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would never sell to a person without going through an FFL. It's like $35 bucks. Can hardly buy a box of 9mil for that, and whatever happens my mind is satisfied I did my part. I do give guns to family and old friends, but I have known those folks families for 3 generations.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The DW bought a new .22LR LCR at a big box store and a LaserMax. She liked it at first but the DA pull was just too much for her.
No love lost when she took it to a LGS with everything it came with, the original sales receipt, original crane screw, Ruger cable lock, LaserMax box, etc., etc.
The shop ran a ”crime check“ on the gun, wrote her a check, gave her their purchase receipt, and the Dear Wife walked out a happy camper.
That was the first gun either of us sold since 1978 which was to a college bud.

I agree with those that say “through a FFL,” unless to someone I know and trust and with appropriate paperwork.
My piece of mind means more to me than I care about the buyer’s, or a few extra dollars.

Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
The few guns I've sold F - F were with close friends and family - never to a complete stranger. But, even being strictly legal, I'd NEVER give the ATF (enemy) the time of day without a warrant and/or my lawyer present. More so now under a anti-gun government in office.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't do many F to F sales but when I do all I ask for is to see (for handguns) the buyer's CCW permit or Sheriffs Purchase Permit (required in NC). I don't make any copies and I really don't want to know who the person is. If the ATF comes around asking about a pistol I once owned I can honestly say I did it per the law and don't remember who the person was.

·
Registered
698 Posts
"We have just a few questions. Can we come in to talk?"
No.
Reasonable Suspicion.
No it isn't.
That's obstructing a federal investigation.

Instant felony and you didn't even leave your home. 😶

Of course this could never happen ...

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
In the communist state of Virginia, where I live, now, You have to do a background check on any sale, private or otherwise. I havn't sold a firearm in many years, but, If I did now, no matter who it is, it would go through a FFL. If the buyer doesn't want to fill out the paperwork, screw em, I'd sell it to someone that would. No matter how good you know someone, you just never know if they might have a felony, or other charge that would legally prevent the purchase. No one ever broadcasts getting in trouble sometime in their life. If they lie on the paperwork in a legal transfer, then it's their ass, not yours.

·
Super Moderator
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
"Legally" all firearm transfers, purchases, are to be kept on paper only, & stored at the FFL.
Except when an FFL goes out of business, in which case they go to the ATF. Now, as for the legality of the ATF scanning them when they legally take possession of them, that is for lawyers smarter than me. I have the “feeling” it’s illegal, but it requires someone to challenge them in court.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Actually, "legally" they can not be put on computerized records. If they go back to the ATF, they have to be stored by them for 20 years, then, destroyed. BUT, who the hell checks to see if that is actually done. Who is in charge, of checkin the checkers? LOL

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
With the present "anti gun" administration in power, & currenty trying to get another "anti gun" person approved to run the ATF, you can pretty much figure what is going to happen to records involving firearm purchases, especially for the next 3 1/2 years.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts