Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the middle of hot summer night , a guy comes walking up my alley and knocks on the door.I had just finished cleaning my ruger gp 100 , so i carried it behind my back to the door because it was 2:00 am which seemed weird.I stuck my foot in front of the door and opened it about 4 inchs and asked the guy , what do you want? He said his car had broke down and he needed a phone.I told him sorry ,i dont have a phone.Then he says hey!, damn it i just need a phone .I again told him i dont have a damn phone.Then he yells out , I just need a [email protected]#K$N phone!I then brought out and flashed him my stainless steel bad boy gp100 and he took off running down my alleyway, got into his supposed broke down car, started it and drove off.I dont know what he was up to but i figured it couldn't be a good thing.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Its much better to be safe than sorry, and having your insurance handy, STOPPED what he was intending.

Hope he wore his depends :D

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Be prepared-listen to your gut-live to tell the story to all who'll listen---good save----if you hadn't done what you did-we might not be hearing this story...life is real Merry Christmas-and keep your eye on those elves!!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Wow, Impressive Ruger! It scared off a bad guy, and scared his car into working again!

I'll have to remember that if mine ever breaks down. Alot cheaper than a mechanic. :D

·
Registered
268 Posts
several years ago di and I were up watching movies late at night.about 2 am I went into the kitchen and looked out the window.there was 2 guys trying to break into the back of my pickup.
I just opened up the front door and let the slide go forward on my 1911.I guess they were done as they really took off in a hurry.they didn't get anything from the truck but they might have to change their drawers when they got home.
pete

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
But from your point of view, it was a sweet comforting sound-amazing how they had such a different perspective!!!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
About the only thing more convincing than a semi-auto slide going shut is a good old fashioned pump shotgun being jacked. Seems to make athletes out of a lot of scum bags.

·
Registered
7 Posts
some years ago i used to live in delaware, and every saturday we were visited constantly by folks of a certain religon. some of them were very bold and would even come to the back shed looking for me. they were asked many times not to return, but they kept comeing. one saturday i was watching t.v. wile cleaning and polishing on my redhawk. the window behind the couch was real close to the door. one of them banged on the door and it starteled me and i spun around, not thinking about my gun in my hand. i didnt point it at them or anything but i never seen somebody run so fast in my life. i never seen another one untill i moved.-phil

·
Registered
714 Posts
We had recently taken possession of what is now my retirement farm, from some not so nice, puppy mill scum. Short version is that they screwed around with finances so badly that the bank was foreclosing. The place is run down a bit but salvageable. Anyway, a few weeks after they pulled out and we moved in, a repo man pays the place a visit looking for jerkoff and company. Now this person was informed that the party he was looking for had moved several miles down the road and that he could find them there. Ok, Repo man departs and we go about eliminating the garbage left behind.

Fast forward to around midnight the next day. My ever vigilant equine guardians start making noise and one of my room mates goes to investigates. Lo and behold its Mr. Repo man trying to, quietly, open up the barn doors. Now said room mate, as I also am, is a former military type, so he grabs his HUGE hogleg and sneaks up on this lard arsed interloper. This dufus was so intent on trying to open the sliding door that he didn't notice anything was amiss until he heard that .44 being cocked just a couple of feet behind his head.

Once the pleasntries were done and the filling of underwear completed. Mr. Repo man, after explaining that he was looking for a certain truck to claim was allowed to waddle back to his car, that was parked down the road, and leave.

This happed about seven years ago and I STILL laugh my ass off in remembering it.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Grizz, just my 2c but never, never open a door for an unknown in those circumstances. You have already placed yourself in danger at that point. Stand to the side of the door, ask what they need, then offer to call the police for them to assist with their problem. Glad your situation came out OK. Too many BGs out there to risk it anymore.
Same situation as yours ended up with three guys rushing the door and stabbing the home occupants to death, just so they could steal their car.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Jimbo, did you miss the part about him being armed with a .44? Three knives didn't trump 6 .44 slugs last time I played cards....Unarmed folks hide and wait for the county to show up (usually in 30+ minutes)...well armed folks have been confronting evil with a handful of thunder and lightning quite well for a long time...that would be my choice of action, too.And, again, if the poor repo man had scratched himself on a rusty nail getting into the barn, the civil suit could have gotten into grizz's gun money real bad....I'd give both these guys gold stars!!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
There was another situation in which I was personally involved. Even today, over twenty years later, I shake my head and chuckle. The year was 1974 and on this particular day I had just been hired on as a paid reserve police officer for a very small town north of Kansas City, Mo.

As stated I had, happily accepted both badge and commission and had arrived at my KCMO apartment and was in the mood to celebrate with my family.

Just before supper was served my wife informed me that there was to be ice cream for desert and that I had better get over to the corner store and pick some up.

At that time the area had just started going down hill and, as far as I am concerned never did do well after the 68 riot. Any way I strapped on my blue Security Six and slipped on denim jacket with badge holder in the breast pocket.

Out the back door, down the stairs, and down the allyway to the nearby corner store. Got my favorite, black walnut, ice cream and started back to the apartment. This was around eight pm or so and the lighting wasnt the best. It was good enough for me to see this individual leaning against one of the garages, and just in case I shifted the sack to my left hand and continued to walk to my stair way. I just KNEW what was going to happen next. And I wasnt suprised.

He steps toward me with a knife in his hand spewing curse words and demanding my wallet.

Now here is where I get the chuckles. While he was spewing I quickly said sure, here, take it! And tossed the sack containing the half gallon of black walnut into his chest.

Of course he instinctively caught the sack and before he could blink I had the ruger drawn, cocked, and aimed at the point of his nose.

He drops the knife, my ice cream, and takes off.

I couldnt help myself! The shocked expression on his face will always be in my memory.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Neat story!!!! Still have the knife? Bet it was somewhat less than a Randall...bet also that he wondered for hours how that happened to him?!!! What were you paid as a reserve in 74? I hired on as a full-time in 71 for a whole $500 a month gross....those were long months back then!!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

Jimbo, did you miss the part about him being armed with a .44?
I was responding to grizz and the open door scenerio. Don't have a problem with other stories. With the crack heads and crazies out there - they don't care if you are armed. And when they get the idea in their heads you will be their target, they have already formed a plan of attack. As soon as the door opens a crack, they charge through. Now you have placed yourself in the position of having to shoot. And if you lose, the rest of your household does too. Any self defense classes will teach the first thing you need in a confrontation is distance between yourself and the BG. That way you have time to react. When you open that door to an unknown, you have just given up one of your advantages.
Out in the country it may be different, and sneeking up on a repo guy is what I would do too. I have also exited my house to confront tresspassers and warn them off my property.
Each situation may have several possible defensive solutions. Just don't make it easy on the bad guys is all I'm saying.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
You're right about the open door-if he hadn't had the GP or they hadn't seen it...he weakened his defense...I'm thinking more lately of CC tv outside my front door -I have a peephole and always answer the door armed, but I'd like to see better-would I have to have a monitor or could it be fed into the tv? I've seen a couple setups where the pic was crystal clear and you could see what was in their hands...My neighborhood sure wouldn't draw pro burglars but druggie thuggies don't care...I put on my khaki shorts and a t-shirt when I'm home, and slip the IWB in the belt-won't be any running for it if the door comes in...my, how the world has changed...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Sheepdog, at that time, my getting on board that Department as a part time patrolman paid the princely sum of $3.50 per hour, with the total number of hours available varying. Trust me when I state that even that was welcome as that particular job was number three for me during that time. Full time warehouse, part time cop, and continuing my service in the Army National Guard. The times were hard, especially since I had a new daughter and a....well lets say that marriage didnt last past 1979.

Anyway, at the time I was hoping that the part time cop job would evolve in to a full time gig. But that never happened since many of the local municipalities were having very lean budgets back then.

Still it was a fun job!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Gotta love police work or you sure won't do it for the money...I'd be retired now if I'd stayed...what do you do when you retire? I often worked 80 hours a week to get by...sold everything but camelskins and slept maybe 3-4 hrs a day-but I was young then and had no idea how ugly it'd make me. My marriage also didn't last past 79---must have been a bad year for marriages...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yeah 79 was a bitch as far as domestic partners were concerned!

Now as for me, Im simi retired for the moment doing part time work in the animal care field, passing time until all the retirement funds kick in.

I also spend my time accumulating all those nice fire arms that caught my fancy during those lean years, taking care of my equine rescues, collection SF books (Heinlein RULES), surfing the net, and playing country gentleman on my itty bitty farm.

We busted booty getting to where we are now and it is worth it!

And I never regret any of it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts