Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
"The Real Deal"
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read this story figured id share, it seems Biden is putting in place steps to stop the excess 5.56 ammo lake city makes being sold on the civilian market, in attempt to reduce ammo supplies for ar15's.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I read this story figured id share, it seems Biden is putting in place steps to stop the excess 5.56 ammo lake city makes being sold on the civilian market, in attempt to reduce ammo supplies for ar15's.

Idk all the facts but seems more sinister to me considering the 5.56 has officially been "replaced"....

·
"The Real Deal"
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No surprise. Can't get the guns? Restrict, ban, tax the ammo.
Exactly, death by 1000 cuts hypothesis. I have found that the mil ammo is not as accurate as commercial, and no where near my reloads. But it is good plinking ammo and after removing the crimped primer, a good case to reload.

·
"The Real Deal"
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Idk all the facts but seems more sinister to me considering the 5.56 has officially been "replaced"....
Yes but it still has to be produced until the old guns are phased out, but still for allies, reserves, etc.

Had a thought, maybe another reason the govt. wanted a change to a new round thats not commercially available, not reloading friendly to effect civilian use. Plausible being as crooked as big brother is.

·
Super Moderator
5,982 Posts
They will stop at nothing. Restrict supply, raise costs.
The funny thing about this is that the reason Lake City is able to sell to the civilian market is a national security decision. Lake City basically maintains wartime-level production and sells the excess to the civilian market. This allows Lake City to meet unexpected wartime demand with no lag time to ramp up to full production. So, just like releasing gas from the strategic oil reserve, Biden is putting American security at risk for a political agenda.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Yes but it still has to be produced until the old guns are phased out, but still for allies, reserves, etc.

Had a thought, maybe another reason the govt. wanted a change to a new round thats not commercially available, not reloading friendly to effect civilian use. Plausible being as crooked as big brother is.
More than plausible. Arther Connan Doyle "when you eliminate the possibilities, the impossible you are left with is the answer"

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
A lot of 5.56 is available from foreign makers. I thought the Russian ban would effect 7.62x39. The effect was temporary. I can get 5.56 brass case ammo for about $12/20 and 7.62x39 for about $11/50.

And if you think the military’s new boondoogle gun is going to replace that many M4’s, your smoking catnip. Some special forces front line soldiers will get it. At the worst the M4 will fill rolls the M1 did.

All that blather above now stated, it still pisses me off what they are trying to do. I suspect the lung blower 9mm will also get scrutinized.

Please go Brandon.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
A lot of 5.56 is available from foreign makers. I thought the Russian ban would effect 7.62x39. The effect was temporary. I can get 5.56 brass for about $12/20 and 7.62x39 for about $11/50.

And if you think the military’s new boondoogle gun is going to replace that many M4’s, your smoking catnip. Some special forces front line soldiers will get it. At the worst the M4 will fill rolls the M1 did.

All that blather above now stated, it still pisses me off what they are trying to do. I suspect the lung blower 9mm will also get scrutinized.

Please go Brandon.
Lung blower .22lr next week. No one needs salt peter, ask any hunter, air rifle single shot. Fired in the air at threats. The dude? (I don't want to ass um e any thing) can't even ride a bike.....

·
"The Real Deal"
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lung blower .22lr next week. No one needs salt peter, ask any hunter, air rifle single shot. Fired in the air at threats. The dude? (I don't want to ass um e any thing) can't even ride a bike.....
Imagine what kinda firestorm he would recieve banning shotgun ammo, since he endorsed it as the best home defense option.

Logically i would think a 12 gauge could possibly blow out a lung a close range, well pieces of one. :unsure:

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

FJB

·
Registered
136 Posts
One place it says ordered stopping, one place actively considering. May be just rhetoric. He said last month that he would make pharmacies reduce insulin price to $35 or less a month. Mine is still $50 plus insurance. He said he would fix fuel prices. $4.44 per gallon when I filled yesterday. He also did not cure Covid or fix immigration. I think they don’t do more because they really can’t. Seems like the Russian ammo can be imported till 2 year import permits expire.

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
1,404 Posts
Just to clarify, they are not trying to stop Lake City from selling all ammo to the civilian market, they want to stop selling M855.
Remember when Obama tried to ban M855 as armor piercing and that didn’t fly because it’s not? This is another attempt at that.
No, I’m not defending them, just pointing out the facts.
The pattern I see right now is them going after magazines and ammo. I’m sure guns are on the agenda somewhere.

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
1,404 Posts
Tried to stop. Tried to ban. Wonder how an American company will react with the US government trying to stop 30% of their sales?
Considering that the us army owns Lake City and Winchester currently simply has the contract to operate LC and I’m not sure that they cannot lose that contract, what do you think they will do?

Reactions: oldag

·
"The Real Deal"
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Just curious who buys more ammo, the military or the US citizen?
Its not just about volume. Govt contracts stifle a company due to delivery deadlines and regulations that demand extra resources and heavy penalties. But they are "easy money".
The military and police have mandated traing regimes so the volume is pretty high. Civilian uses is generally less predictable. Making it a less safe investment.
No one can honestly answer your question. Not even really smart wall street investors. Too much grey area. And both sides have more stockpiles than either will admit to.... not that I would know🤣
Lake city and a few others are "exlusive" providers should the need arise. I have no idea what "need" chief falls from 10 speed believes there is but he can pull that trigger on lake city, but not winchester. I think black hills and maybe a few others may have let uncle sam tie their hands some too, but not all.
I think the truth is both us civilians, and the military are about tied for small munitions. Big stuff the bad guys buy more.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts