Ruger Forum banner

Biden At It Again With 5.56 Ammo

4K views 52 replies 20 participants last post by  Tacky 
#1 ·
I read this story figured id share, it seems Biden is putting in place steps to stop the excess 5.56 ammo lake city makes being sold on the civilian market, in attempt to reduce ammo supplies for ar15's.

#4 ·
Exactly, death by 1000 cuts hypothesis. I have found that the mil ammo is not as accurate as commercial, and no where near my reloads. But it is good plinking ammo and after removing the crimped primer, a good case to reload.

#3 ·
I read this story figured id share, it seems Biden is putting in place steps to stop the excess 5.56 ammo lake city makes being sold on the civilian market, in attempt to reduce ammo supplies for ar15's.

Idk all the facts but seems more sinister to me considering the 5.56 has officially been "replaced"....

#5 ·
Yes but it still has to be produced until the old guns are phased out, but still for allies, reserves, etc.

Had a thought, maybe another reason the govt. wanted a change to a new round thats not commercially available, not reloading friendly to effect civilian use. Plausible being as crooked as big brother is.

#6 ·
They will stop at nothing. Restrict supply, raise costs.
The funny thing about this is that the reason Lake City is able to sell to the civilian market is a national security decision. Lake City basically maintains wartime-level production and sells the excess to the civilian market. This allows Lake City to meet unexpected wartime demand with no lag time to ramp up to full production. So, just like releasing gas from the strategic oil reserve, Biden is putting American security at risk for a political agenda.

#8 ·
A lot of 5.56 is available from foreign makers. I thought the Russian ban would effect 7.62x39. The effect was temporary. I can get 5.56 brass case ammo for about $12/20 and 7.62x39 for about $11/50.

And if you think the military’s new boondoogle gun is going to replace that many M4’s, your smoking catnip. Some special forces front line soldiers will get it. At the worst the M4 will fill rolls the M1 did.

All that blather above now stated, it still pisses me off what they are trying to do. I suspect the lung blower 9mm will also get scrutinized.

Please go Brandon.

#9 ·
A lot of 5.56 is available from foreign makers. I thought the Russian ban would effect 7.62x39. The effect was temporary. I can get 5.56 brass for about $12/20 and 7.62x39 for about $11/50.

And if you think the military’s new boondoogle gun is going to replace that many M4’s, your smoking catnip. Some special forces front line soldiers will get it. At the worst the M4 will fill rolls the M1 did.

All that blather above now stated, it still pisses me off what they are trying to do. I suspect the lung blower 9mm will also get scrutinized.

Please go Brandon.
Lung blower .22lr next week. No one needs salt peter, ask any hunter, air rifle single shot. Fired in the air at threats. The dude? (I don't want to ass um e any thing) can't even ride a bike.....

#11 ·
One place it says ordered stopping, one place actively considering. May be just rhetoric. He said last month that he would make pharmacies reduce insulin price to $35 or less a month. Mine is still $50 plus insurance. He said he would fix fuel prices. $4.44 per gallon when I filled yesterday. He also did not cure Covid or fix immigration. I think they don’t do more because they really can’t. Seems like the Russian ammo can be imported till 2 year import permits expire.

#12 ·
Just to clarify, they are not trying to stop Lake City from selling all ammo to the civilian market, they want to stop selling M855.
Remember when Obama tried to ban M855 as armor piercing and that didn’t fly because it’s not? This is another attempt at that.
No, I’m not defending them, just pointing out the facts.
The pattern I see right now is them going after magazines and ammo. I’m sure guns are on the agenda somewhere.

#15 ·
Considering that the us army owns Lake City and Winchester currently simply has the contract to operate LC and I’m not sure that they cannot lose that contract, what do you think they will do?

Reactions: oldag
#24 ·
The police here in NE Ohio shoot more than most think. There is a highway patrol range very close to my land. They have local supply chains that are civilian. They run drills often. 4 times a week pretty regular and its all day. Can't give you numbers but it surprised me. And I shoot daily. Portage co ohio.

#28 ·
I am definately not for any type of bans, M855 is no better (and actually not as good) as other 5.56 ammo.

But,
I'm not really sure how much impact stopping Lake City from offering M855 to the public would actually have.
I'm not even certain if they still assemble much M855 these days since the .mil started using M855a1 and LC could certainly switch their excess production to XM193.

#35 ·
The White House denied it two days ago. Write that down.
As if i believe anything the white house says, or politicians to boot.

#37 ·
I'm surprised it took this long for the Left to educate themselves and figure out that it's much easier to ban ammo than guns. We're talking about people who back when the Clinton Ban was being proposed, couldn't figure out that if they banned bayonnet lugs, folding stocks and flash hiders, that the gun could still be produced without those features. And who thought that magazines come preloaded and you can only use them once and that ammo has a short shelf life like milk. These are the kinds of fools who make laws we (not them) must follow.

#39 ·
remember, it's all about money and control with them. wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if some of these gun brabber politicians didn't own stock in the most popular arms and ammunition companies. they could buy the stocks through third parties. then lobby about firearm and ammunition bans. then sit back and watch the money roll in. it'd be a total conflict of interest and most likely illegal but since when has the stopped the money & power hungry individuals.

#41 ·
That is likely true. But one day they will have to answer for it in front of God Almighty.

“He who works deceit shall not dwell within my house; he who tells lies shall not continue in my presence. (Psalm 101:7)

#40 ·
Besides a headline by some journalist out to get attention, the article really doesn't say anything important. So what if a single ammo manufacturer, which is owned by the Federal government decides to stop selling their excess of a single type of 5.56 round, the M855, to the public? It's pretty much a symbolic/political move since they have control of the company, where the ones they don't have control of can keep doing what they want.

As pure speculation by me on this, I'm guessing Lake City will just produce M193 once they fill their order for M855, which will then have the morons tell this one company to not sell any 5.56x45, and Lake City will just change some labels and start selling 223 Remington, since M193 and M855 are within the max pressure for 223.

#50 ·

I can't find anything about the Winchester plants in Mississippi that had a substation go down, if they're back up and running or not? They are killing the food supply chain now they're going for the ammo factories.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.